Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Man, I would love to see someone like Zatanna in the Justice League movie. Two reasons - one because she is another female and two because you could actually show a true magic-based character. Screw science, this is comic books.
    Hawkwoman is my first pick for the movie (especially since you'll have some fans expecting her anyways), but I also like the ideas of Zatanna or Vixen since they have unique powers. I think Zatanna would offer a better look into the magic world of DC than Shazam. Also, I agree about the comic book logic thing with magic vs science. That's the aspect of the MCU Asgardians as aliens I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Backlash like this makes people more afraid. Same in the industry people in comics as I speak are so afraid of getting sued they get scared to hire women. Its a vicious cycle. Pander to rabid hyenas who aren't even the hardcore buyer who are never happy then get torn apart as they get displeased.
    It's important to look at the numbers regarding this escalated backlash. I mean, you have people angry on Twitter/Tumblr (no surprise there), but has it really seeped into any other news outlet. I'm not talking about any outlet covering the fact that Whedon left Twitter, but are any of them actually talking about anything in AoU that could be perceived as sexist? I think this is fairly isolated.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Probably from Tumblr.
    LOL. It's a good thing I only follow a few people there. And I thought some of the people asking Tom Brevoort questions were rude and insane fanatics. It makes one embarrassed to admit you read comics with "fans" like this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    It's important to look at the numbers regarding this escalated backlash. I mean, you have people angry on Twitter/Tumblr (no surprise there), but has it really seeped into any other news outlet. I'm not talking about any outlet covering the fact that Whedon left Twitter, but are any of them actually talking about anything in AoU that could be perceived as sexist? I think this is fairly isolated.
    Thats because really I kind of think the media doesn't want to shine much of a light on the nutbars on the left that are as fanatical as the rights personally. I remember sits like mary sue justifying it even tho irc. I'm just making educated guesses but hey

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So you are psychic and know the intentions and opinions of every single female in the U.S., your own town, your own state?
    All you have to do is observe human beings through out life. Majority of women AND Men are selfish.

BANNED

My apologies if this has been brought up/answered already, but...

Has there been any analysis into why this "outrage" (please folks, term used loosely) didn't happen sooner, considering the film was released a full week (plus a day or two, I think?) before it was released in the USA?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guest_1001 View Post

I have a question; remember the #BringBackOurGirls movement that erupted after Boko Harem kidnapped many, many women last year? All the men and boys that were killed by BH during the kidnapping were an afterthought, if they were mentioned at all. There was also no similar movement when BH kidnapped dozens of men and boys later last year. Even in the Charlie Hebdo attacks, nobody pointed out that the one woman working at the offices was intentionally kept alive, being told "we don't kill women" whereas the men were all murdered. Again, not much fanfare being made of this in the media.

Hell, just search "men and boys kidnapped" and you get dozens of different accounts. Look at this one; “They left women and children but they kidnapped 300 men and young people,” but how rare is it that we ever hear about men being targeted in coordinated attacks and operations like these? Gender-based violence and crimes against men are hardly ever heard about in the mainstream media.
    Because you have to concede it's the male that is the aggressor. Let me turn it around.....Name me an army consisting solely of women that kidnaps men. If there was, than you would have a better point to make.

Here's a link to the FBI's crime states for example:

The percent of murders where the offender is a male is a little over 90 percent and 70 percent of their victims are male
    Of the female murder victims where the relationship was known, 37 percent were killed by a husband or boyfriend. It's more likely that a wife will be killed by their husband then the other way around for example.

In the chart that breaks down the victim by a known relationship in a homicide case husbands = 110, boyfriend = 131; for wife it's 603 and girlfriend its 492
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-05-2015 at 11:01 PM.

BANNED

Jeez. I wonder what will happen when they kill off Black Widow. I'd hate to be the director of that movie!

BANNED

I have to admit I am pretty annoyed that Whedon refuse to bring in the Avengers Assemble line in the movie.

Considering Whedon only started using Twitter to promote his films, it's more likely that he left because he's now finished his Marvel Studios work. But that doesn't garner as much attention as "angry hairy feminazis are bullies", I suppose.

Not that the people finger wagging at Whedon are much better. None of the "criticisms" hold up when you examine context - Stark's rape joke is something the character would say, the "monster" line was about being a killer (and even if it wasn't, is it wrong for people to feel broken when they find they can't conceive?), and there's nothing inherently sexist about using the damsel-in-distress trope, especially when it's subverted by having the "damsel" be a proper character (it's the overusage of that trope in movies that's sexist). The detractors' arguments speak more to their poor comprehension of language and subtext than Whedon's supposed misogyny. I bet a sizeable portion of those dishing out ad hominems are people who hate Whedon for calling himself a feminist, too.

Ugh. People suck.

Fantastic Member

Internet fandom attracts far more emotionally imbalanced people than smart fans who can take an analytical approach to works of fiction.

Black widow got to kick but in the movie, show more of the back story that we are hinted at in avengers and captain america: winter soldier, and develop an actually attempt at romance that built off what started in avengers.
    It sickens me this kinda response to a guy who made awesome movies and tv shows with some of the most powerful female characters in recent memory. People like that why I am always worried to post anywhere what I really think about anything. Why several celebrities quit tiwtter. I know of several stories of japanese celebrities quitting it cause the vile things said to them. It sickens me that such a great place to freely express yourself abused by jerks and aholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    Considering Whedon only started using Twitter to promote his films, it's more likely that he left because he's now finished his Marvel Studios work. But that doesn't garner as much attention as "angry hairy feminazis are bullies", I suppose.

Not that the people finger wagging at Whedon are much better. None of the "criticisms" hold up when you examine context - Stark's rape joke is something the character would say, the "monster" line was about being a killer (and even if it wasn't, is it wrong for people to feel broken when they find they can't conceive?), and there's nothing inherently sexist about using the damsel-in-distress trope, especially when it's subverted by having the "damsel" be a proper character (it's the overusage of that trope in movies that's sexist). The detractors' arguments speak more to their poor comprehension of language and subtext than Whedon's supposed misogyny. I bet a sizeable portion of those dishing out ad hominems are people who hate Whedon for calling himself a feminist, too.

Ugh. People suck.
    And as one poster said. It wasn't like she was completely helpless when captured, she manged to wire up a radio and give her coordinates to Hawkeye, which also helped them find Ultron (IIRC).

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Black widow got to kick but in the movie, show more of the back story that we are hinted at in avengers and captain america: winter soldier, and develop an actually attempt at romance that built off what started in avengers.
    It sickens me this kinda response to a guy who made awesome movies and tv shows with some of the most powerful female characters in recent memory. People like that why I am always worried to post anywhere what I really think about anything. Why several celebrities quit tiwtter. I know of several stories of japanese celebrities quitting it cause the vile things said to them. It sickens me that such a great place to freely express yourself abused by jerks and aholes.
    I agree. I've said it once, I'll say it again, the anonymity of the internet, makes people a whole lot more "braver". How many of these people would say any of this to his face? Any cyber bully for that matter. A lot less I'm sure.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

I don't know if this been posted in thread but this breaks it down very well: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/a...inist-heroism/ Thank you MrRepzion on youtube for the link.

All-New Member

Well at least it didn't happen on YouTube. Ba-Dum Tss.

I don't really understand this. I mean, yeah, the movie wasn't perfect. The iron man joke was dumb and could be considered offensive I guess. The Widow-Hulk romance was also cringeworthy, but I don't understand the whole sexism thing. I also thought Quicksilver's death was stupid and needs to be reversed. Not enough Quicksilver love there.

The GOT line did make me laugh though.

So is the point of this thread about tearing down feminazi's, social justice warriors and white nights? Did some guy just collect tweets and make a leap that this was why Whedon left Twitter or did Whedon make a statement? Cause all I see is culture war BS here at CBR.