Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    He wasn't defending him as far as I saw just arguing semantics
    You're right he didn't specifically condone his actions, he just made sure to dismiss that his attack was motivated by a hatred of women. You know, despite the killers own words over months and months of video and blog posts.

I'm guessing we're heading off topic with this though since it's not directly in reference to the Joss Whedon vs. Twitter/Tumblr story.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 05-05-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Please let's not get sidetracked with these isolated incidents of women attacking men when you still have trafficking of women for sexual purposes, the kidnapping and lord knows what happened to those school girls in Africa, the "comfort women" during WWII Japan, and that rape is frequently a part of the spoils of war to this very day. Move on guys.
    And dont forget the variant cover of Spider-Woman that Milo Manara did the other day.

BANNED

Please let's not get sidetracked with these isolated incidents of women attacking men when you still have trafficking of women for sexual purposes, the kidnapping and lord knows what happened to those school girls in Africa, the "comfort women" during WWII Japan, and that rape is frequently a part of the spoils of war to this very day. Move on guys.
    Bringing up WWII is a bad example when men women and children of all ages and genders got the shit end of the stick back then. Also canibalism. Authoritarians tends to do that really.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm out.

Men do this stuff to a comics or television persona: It's because they're insane fans.

Women did this (I don't know that anyone's been identified, have they?), they're not insane fans, they're killer feminists from the grand feminist conspiracy.

Nah. They're asshole fans who think they can dictate how someone makes a movie or makes a comic or makes a game, no different from any of the other entitled and threat-happy fans of that ilk.

That's all it is. Entitled fans.
    I agree. They're entitled fans who are empowered by anonymity, and feel their actions are justified on the PRETENSE of feminism, but no they aren't feminists.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    You're right he didn't specifically condone his actions, he just made sure to dismiss that his attack was motivated by a hatred of women. You know, despite the killers own words over months and months of video and blog posts.

I'm guessing we're heading off topic with this though since it's not directly in reference to the Joss Whedon vs. Twitter/Tumblr story.
    In fairness, in his last video he said he was going to kill women AND men. Women for not sleeping with him, and men for sleeping with the women. On a side note, it almost seemed to be rehearsed (he even had super-villain laughs). Almost like he was doing a skit or something, sadly we know this was not the case, however. Needless to say he was a very disturbed young man.

EDIT: But you're right I think we're going a bit off topic with this as well.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    I agree. They're entitled fans who are empowered by anonymity, and feel their actions are justified on the PRETENSE of feminism, but no they aren't feminists.

In fairness, in his last video he said he was going to kill women AND men. Women for not sleeping with him, and men for sleeping with the women. On a side note, it almost seemed to be rehearsed (he even had super-villain laughs). Almost like he was doing a skit or something, sadly we know this was not the case, however. Needless to say he was a very disturbed young man.

EDIT: But you're right I think we're going a bit off topic with this as well.
    I think in general most of us can agree being an A-Hole is bad, killing is worse.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    Most women won't even lift a finger to help those women.
    I don't even think this remark should be dignified by a reply... but where do you get your information from???

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Bringing up WWII is a bad example when men women and children of all ages and genders got the shit end of the stick back then. Also canibalism. Authoritarians tends to do that really.
    I brought the "comfort women" up as an example of the raping women as one of the "spoils of war" and it's an ongoing practice that continues even today. It has never gone away.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm out.

Men do this stuff to a comics or television persona: It's because they're insane fans.

Women did this (I don't know that anyone's been identified, have they?), they're not insane fans, they're killer feminists from the grand feminist conspiracy.

Nah. They're asshole fans who think they can dictate how someone makes a movie or makes a comic or makes a game, no different from any of the other entitled and threat-happy fans of that ilk.

That's all it is. Entitled fans.
    Sounds to me like you've got this completely backwards; men do this? "Institutionalised misogyny, male entitlement, 'internetting while female'," etc, etc, etc.

Feminists -- not specifically women -- do this: "Not all feminists are like that, they're not 'real' feminists, I bet it's secretly GamerGate," etc, etc, etc.

It's one rule for one, another rule for another.

I have a question; remember the #BringBackOurGirls movement that erupted after Boko Harem kidnapped many, many women last year? All the men and boys that were killed by BH during the kidnapping were an afterthought, if they were mentioned at all. There was also no similar movement when BH kidnapped dozens of men and boys later last year. Even in the Charlie Hebdo attacks, nobody pointed out that the one woman working at the offices was intentionally kept alive, being told "we don't kill women" whereas the men were all murdered. Again, not much fanfare being made of this in the media.

Hell, just search "men and boys kidnapped" and you get dozens of different accounts. Look at this one; “They left women and children but they kidnapped 300 men and young people,” but how rare is it that we ever hear about men being targeted in coordinated attacks and operations like these? Gender-based violence and crimes against men are hardly ever heard about in the mainstream media.

It's surprising that you take correcting someone to mean "dismissing that his attack was motivated by a hatred of women". He hated men too, expressing fantasies about a virus that wiped out all men on Earth except for him and four out of his six victims were male. He hated blonde Caucasians, black people and full-Asians and referred to himself as Eurasian. Plus, his first three victims were all Asian males and they were the premeditated murders; they were stabbed in his apartment, rather than shot. Rodger's attack was motivated by hatred, period. Towards everyone. To make it solely about women, as so many feminist bloggers and pundits did at the time, does a disservice to his other victims.

But you're right, this is way off-topic. We need a plane to get back to the topic.

BANNED

I don't even think this remark should be dignified by a reply... but where do you get your information from???
    Real life.

I think in general most of us can agree being an A-Hole is bad, killing is worse.
    Yep. That I agree with.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Probably from Tumblr.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Phil Jimenez tweeted about the Black Widow thing. I think his opinion is pretty spot on.

It also strikes me that the Black Widow controversy exists as much because there are so few strong female hero characters on screen, that the few who do end up representing the hopes, fears, dreams, etc of ALL female characters -- an unfair burden foisted upon them and us by circumstances of history not yet rectified. No single character should represent ALL, but they so often do then they're female or minority, because there are so few and so few strong ones.
    If Black Widow wasn't the only female Avenger, then I doubt people would care so much. I feel like this is a problem WB/DC might run into by having Wonder Woman as the only woman on the Justice League, and I hope they see this as a sign that it might not be such a bad idea to diversify that lineup. Suicide Squad seems to be doing a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    If Black Widow wasn't the only female Avenger, then I doubt people would care so much. I feel like this is a problem WB/DC might run into by having Wonder Woman as the only woman on the Justice League, and I hope they see this as a sign that it might not be such a bad idea to diversify that lineup. Suicide Squad seems to be doing a great job.
    Man, I would love to see someone like Zatanna in the Justice League movie. Two reasons - one because she is another female and two because you could actually show a true magic-based character. Screw science, this is comic books.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Phil Jimenez tweeted about the Black Widow thing. I think his opinion is pretty spot on.

Backlash like this makes people more afraid. Same in the industry people in comics as I speak are so afraid of getting sued they get scared to hire women. Its a vicious cycle. Pander to rabid hyenas who aren't even the hardcore buyer who are never happy then get torn apart as they get displeased.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    Real life.
    So you are psychic and know the intentions and opinions of every single female in the U.S., your own town, your own state?