Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To be able to meet or surpass those numbers, they are going to need to add the Transformers, Avengers and James Bond into the cast and make it a team up movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

There's a chance but it's small.

The current understanding is that the new Spider-Man will first appear in Captain America: Civil War, which is likely to be a box office juggernaut. So the next Spider-Man film will essentially be a sequel to that.

To make Avengers money, the stars would have to align in a way that occurred for the first Spider-Man and The Dark Knight.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's a chance but it's small.

The current understanding is that the new Spider-Man will first appear in Captain America: Civil War, which is likely to be a box office juggernaut. So the next Spider-Man film will essentially be a sequel to that.

To make Avengers money, the stars would have to align in a way that occurred for the first Spider-Man and The Dark Knight.
    Or Marvel could buy back the xmen movie rights and have them co star with Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Or Marvel could buy back the xmen movie rights and have them co star with Peter.
    In your dreams . . . I don't know if Disney could name any dollar amount that would convince a company to give up the licensing rights to such a money-making franchise.

Spider-Man and Wolverine team up! Actually I would more like to see him team up with the FF, but that seems even less likely.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

700-900mil, not more, not less.

I want MCU Spider-Man to crash and burn learning that they want to have Spidey in high school for the next 3-4 movies, but it will likely do well and brainwash people into thinking Spider-Man is a teenager forever. Then Marvel will claim they have to make the comics like the movies and put Peter in high school there too and we 50 years of potential non-high school stories about college age and adult Peter will fade away into oblivion and we will never see it adapted on film as people learn to accept the character as Marvel now envisions him.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 05-05-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Mighty Member

Relax. They aren't going to keep him in highschool forever. The MCU films occur in real time so at best we'll probably get 3 films of high school Peter. The goal is to get an actor in the role for as long as possible and one who can grow into the role of Spider-man. So if everything goes according to plan, I expect these films to become more and more "adult" as the actor ages ala the Harry Potter films. If anything, a series like that being successful would "brainwash" people into thinking Spider-Man is about growing up as opposed to staying eternally youthful.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-05-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Relax. They aren't going to keep him in highschool forever. The MCU films occur in real time so at best we'll probably get 3 films of high school Peter. The goal is to get an actor in the role for as long as possible and one who can grow into the role of Spider-man. So if everything goes according to plan, I expect these films to become more and more "adult" as the actor ages ala the Harry Potter films. If anything, a series like that being successful would "brainwash" people into thinking Spider-Man is about growing up as opposed to staying eternally youthful.
    If thats the case they should still only have 1-2 high school movies. There isn't enough material in 616 for High School Spidey compared to what comes after. Ultimate would be a mistake to adapt because it changes up the characters too much and sill screw up the narrative for adapting adult Spidey down the road.

Hell, high school isn't even necessary for Spidey. Coming of age can happen in early college too.

Not likely at all, i'm quite sure however it will surpass the amazing spider-man movies( in reviews and box office). and i'm also quite sure Captain America: Civil war will do more then it would have now that most people know Spidey will be in it. works both ways to, If Iron man will really appear in the first mcu spidey movie it will do better.

Amazing Member

If they keep pumping out typical mediocre studio-movies directed some hired so-so goon.. no. What the franchise needs (what every franchise needs) is a truly visionary director with a real passion for the source material.

The first Avengers film was more than just a film, it was an event, getting all those different film heroes on the screen at one time. The second film doesn't even have that uniqueness about it. (Although I personally enjoyed it) Spider-Man is arguably more popular than each of the individual Avengers, but I doubt it'll have the novelty of that first film to draw in moviegoers to such an extent.

However, it's possible that people may get extra excited to see what Marvel Studios can do with the character that Sony could not, and maybe THAT curiosity alone will conquer the box office record.

It's also possible that Captain America: Civil War will beat Avengers box office due to the addition of Spider-Man and Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    But the problem is, he is going back to High School again, which is where he started in the last two film franchises. The character does not seem to progress in the films, they just reboot the film series and send him back to High School, its a coming of age story that never has a ending or good pay off, both the previous franchises failed to deliver a solid ending, its hard not to get cynical about this franchise.

Frankly I am little burned out regarding the Spider-Man film franchise, the 2012 reboot happened way to quickly and now this new reboot is happening far too quickly IMO. Spidey has had two reboots in less then a decade, that makes it hard to get invested with the character, reboots should be an option of last resort. I think the over reliance on reboots will mean the Spidey movies will not make as much as the Avengers any time soon.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Spectacular Member

I'd say no....the cherry has been popped, so to speak....uh, okay ...the champaigne bottle has been uncorked and it will never be new again. I suspect the Avengers reboot circa 2025 will be less successful as well though. So maybe its comparing apples and bananas.
    trying to be nicer

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    If they keep pumping out typical mediocre studio-movies directed some hired so-so goon.. no. What the franchise needs (what every franchise needs) is a truly visionary director with a real passion for the source material.
    That's a little harsh. 500 Days of Summer was a really good film. Maybe he wasn't ready for the studio interference or ready to helm a blockbuster type picture, but Marc Webb is hardly some goon. I personally hope he recovers from his Spider-man debacles and makes some good movies in the future.
    trying to be nicer