View Poll Results: Which story came out better?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hobgoblin Lives

11 91.67%
  • Goblins at the Gate

1 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just read both of these stories again the other day.

I honestly have Hobgoblin Lives as one of my all time favorites, so it definitely gets my vote. I can read that anytime and never feel bored.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Been a while since I read Goblins at the Gate, so I can't vote just yet. I'll have to check and see if it's on Marvel Unlimited. I seem to recall enjoying the story at the time, though it didn't deliver on the no-holds barred Norman vs. Roderick throwdown.

Which means this is still my favorite Hobgoblin vs. Green Goblin fight:

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I'm honestly not crazy about either (hate the Roderick Kingsley reveal--HATE IT!!), but I went with "Goblins at the Gate" because it was cool seeing Norman's reaction to Hobgoblin resurfacing. I just wish we could have seen an epic throwdown between the two.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Just re-read Goblins at the Gate last night.

Have to say I liked it a lot better after reading more of the issues from that era recently. Gives it more of a context.

We didn't get to see much of a Norman / Kingsley battle; it was more of a battle of will between them.

It's a good story, but I still like HL better.

Hobgoblin Lives, although "Goblins at the Gate" had some great moments, particularly the ending. I like that unlike other super villains, Roddy had the common sense to quit while he still had some of his fortune intact. He never made it personal, unlike most of Spidey's enemies, which always comes back to bite them in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I actually disagree with this. I am not convinced at all by Norman's post-resurrection renaissance as a scheming, behind the scenes mastermind, but in this story I thought that it worked very well. Each to their own I guess. And he does wear the Goblin mask... for a couple of panels anyway
    Seconded! This was one of the few stories where Norman's new role as a Kingpin/Lex Luthor-type worked for me.