Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: "X-Men: Days of Future Past" Gives "Avengers" a Run for Its Money

Fox's mutant sequel goes full "Terminator 2," as Wolverine goes back in time to deliver one of Bryan Singer's -- and the franchise's -- best films.

Full article here.

Have you watched Avengers recently? That movie is still the best superhero movie. Ever.

BANNED

No Cyclops, no interest.

Well, this is certainly exciting. If DoFP can beat the Avengers as the best superhero movie of all time, that will be a huge upset in the geek community.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Bryan Singer officially hates you for your headline!

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Well, this is certainly exciting. If DoFP can beat the Avengers as the best superhero movie of all time, that will be a huge upset in the geek community.
    Don't worry . That ain't gonna happen .

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I'm seeing this tomorrow, followed by quite possibly my last theatrical screening of CATWS...

I hope X-Men is good that's all I want.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    No Cyclops, no interest.
    huh, I wanted to see it largely because it had no cyclops.

Spectacular Member

Sounds like a decent film meeting incredibly low expectations. Singer still won't touch the costumes with a ten foot pole. Seriously, what the heck is that armored nonsense everyone's wearing in the future? Still got Mystique running around with no clothes on. The Mark 1 Sentinels look like giant humanoid air conditioners and even worse, have tons of exposed wiring. I could take those things out with a big kitchen knife and I'm supposed to believe Wolverine and Magneto can't curb stomp those things? Pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    huh, I wanted to see it largely because it had no cyclops.
    Same here.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Amazing Member Thor God Of Thunder's Avatar

The movie while being the best X-men movie is only better then the first Cap film and Iron Man 2 It is nowhere near Avengers in any way shape or form. They continue to dish out poor casting, there continues to be no real fights mutant powers mishandled and it continues to be blighted by the fact that it does not go BIG.

This is the best X-men to date however it is nowhere near being the best comic movie, My #1 comic movie this year continues to be Cap which I LOVED and it will only be surpassed by Guardians I HOPE!

SPOILERS

I absolutely love what this movie did for the x-men franchise.

First, most of us were upset at the characters that were chosen for First Class. But on the plane, when Logan is talking to Charles about getting the team back together, it's definitely setting up X-Men apocalypse to have the cast that we wanted. Wolverine even dropped the names, I believe we'll have a team of younger Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Iceman along with the current beast, and quicksilver. I believe Xavier is going to go back to the school, re-open it and then we'll really have the X-Men team.

Eliminating the past. So now the only movies that exist in the x-men cinamatic universe are First Class and DOFP. Clean slate, freedom to do whatever you want with X-men movies going forward.

I did however wonder, how did wolverine have his adamantium claws in the future. The Wolverine was still canon at this point.

Good on James Mardsen making us think he really wasn't in this. Good on the studio too to actually keep something hidden.

En Sabah Nur! En Sabah Nur! En Sabah Nur!

I hope we get some Archangel in this next film.

Im glad to be excited about X-men movies again!

Avengers was great, and probably the epitome of what a comic book movie can be. But this was just a better movie period. At least IMO. Loved every minute of it, and McAvoy in particular was brilliant in it.

BANNED

Saw the movie last night. It was very, very good, although a lot more talk than action (except for the future clips, and those were just of the X-men getting their asses kicked). It was no Avengers, though; not even close. The best part of the movie was the reboot to the xmen movie universe, where everything is new again and the only two movies that actually "happened" were First Class and DoFP. Bring on young Scott and Jean in AoA!!!

Spectacular Member

Far better than Avengers. Insanely entertaining, original and clever use of action, several main characters (mystique is just... Wow. So glad to see my favorite mutant doing so many kick ass things). Loved every minute of it.

F*** Avengers. This had a plot, subtext, character development and it worked really well as a commentary on racism. Seriously awesome movie. Give Avengers a run for it's money? No, it gave The Dark Knight a run for it's money. It'll be interesting to see where it lands after a few viewings, but it felt like the Godfather of comic based movies (maybe unless you include A History of Violence). The characters were just so deep and complicated and conflicted. The future was bleak and grim, and every scene was just so powerful, and it had great wit.

It just had every thing. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

And it felt like a comic.