Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Assault on Weapon X. Great Fantomex cover during that arc though.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I agree that Fantomex/Weapon Plus was the time I stopped enjoying Morrisons run. The Xorn/Magneto fiasco and Quintin/Jean/Logan hogging the end times and that convoluted story was the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 05-05-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

The moment Marvel saw their property (X-Men films under Fox) was able to generate massive amounts of money and figured it would translate to attracting new readers. This was the moment the X-Men started to dip. Character models, personalities, powers, status quo; it all got tweaked for the sake of mimicking the films. Storytelling by use of long arcs that drew from past continuity and fan preference went out the window. Marketing came into the picture (well more into the picture) and then came... The mouse.

Morrison's storytelling was just too off the wall and nonsensical. It was like he drew on every sci-fi, 80s action kids show he knew and used those as inspiration. I guess it fit in with school and leather crap... Well they did get their "normal"uniforms back while he was there so. It was just weird. It was like a guy (Morrison) came along and said " I can make this better" and Marvel just let him run wild. I think he hit his peak around recreating Storm Shadow, sprinkled in some Deadpool, a little Gambit and dubbed him Fantomex.

To his credit, I believe he was really trying to write cool stories, but it just wasn't the best execution. He was writing during the X1/ X2 movie craze. Expectations were high and he had to be feeling the pressure to write something epic. That's what I feel he was aiming for. Epicness. Character development and flow kind of got compromised. Can't be easy to write for Marvel today or even 10 years ago.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-05-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

The issues with Kordey art.

When he left.
    It's a damn shame they let Austen write two issues under the New X-Men title.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHall88 View Post
    When he left.
    This. There were some dips in quality (especially compared with what came before), but as a whole it was still a tremendously good run. And there was no comparison in the quality of that compared with Austen's concurrent run on Uncanny or Claremont's X-Treme

Fantastic Member

His last truly great storyline was riot at Xavier's, for me. Murder at the mansion and the weapon x stories were ok while Planet X was his low point.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

When he killed Jean

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Okay, that's way more subtle than I was expecting...

Even if it declined, it declined from amazing so was still very good.

Heck of a lot better than Austen's Uncanny, that's for sure. Better than most X-men since.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    The issues with Kordey art.
    I was so confused when I saw those issues,not because it was confusing, but the art sucked so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by AHall88 View Post
    When he left.
    Austen....no, just no.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Even if it declined, it declined from amazing so was still very good.

Heck of a lot better than Austen's Uncanny, that's for sure. Better than most X-men since.
    YAS
    Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    His last truly great storyline was riot at Xavier's, for me. Murder at the mansion and the weapon x stories were ok while Planet X was his low point.
    KWEEN!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    This. There were some dips in quality (especially compared with what came before), but as a whole it was still a tremendously good run. And there was no comparison in the quality of that compared with Austen's concurrent run on Uncanny or Claremont's X-Treme
    All of these are are the right answers. Morrison haters can't seem to name a run that was as impressive as his, or more eye catching. His run got me back into X-men, made me realize that I had grown up, and so had they. lol, that was before "No More Mutants"

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Yeah, this is probably the first time I've ever thought Morrison needed to go bigger with something.

If Sabretooth had been straight up screaming "YOU HAVE A TINY WIENER LOGAN, PAHAHAHAHAAAAA" and making the 'this small' gesture with his fingers, it would've been amazing.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Yeah, this is probably the first time I've ever thought Morrison needed to go bigger with something.

If Sabretooth had been straight up screaming "YOU HAVE A TINY WIENER LOGAN, PAHAHAHAHAAAAA" and making the 'this small' gesture with his fingers, it would've been amazing.
    Well that would put a new spin on the 10 million sex scenes he has been in.

Planet x was the real pos. Not to say everything else was flawless, but that is a crowning achievement of terrible.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Nope, if I remember correctly, next panel he looks over at Wolverine's dick and says something like, "What've YOU got that I don't?"

Not subtle AT ALL.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000