Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Secret Wars #1 Review (SPOILERS)

SO yeah... (Almost) Everything dies.

This issue did what it needed to; had 616 and Ultimate Universe collide in more ways than one. Loved how high the stakes were; some surprising characters died even before the universes died. There were some fun character moments. etc.

But I have to say, for people who have just started reading Hickman's long running arc, this must have been a CHORE to try to decipher. I mean, it really felt like a special issue of Hickman's Avengers, like an extension to his run instead of a jump on issue. Quite a few things from that run came to fruition.

But personally, I loved that. I'm sure it's going to lead to complaints though.

The art? Magnificent, in a way, it also felt like an extension to Hickman's Ultimates run based on art alone. It made the war between Earths look like a brawl to end them all. And yet, still provided time for smaller moments.

RIP Marvel Universe. You went out with a bang.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Guess I would have to wait and see what happens in issue 2
    . Other than that,

Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 14.06.02.jpg

BANNED

Pretty much, like I said last week to some that it was worth the wait. But yea, some surprising character deaths, (if you weren't spoiled by tumblr and or 4chan)

I'm not without complaints but it was good.

The moment where Punisher gatecrashes Kingpin's end of the world party was possibly my highlight of this book. Lots of booms. Lots of feels. This is a strong start to the event I'm still trying to work out who died. Would probably be easier to work out a list of who's alive.
    Currently Reading:

DC: Justice League, Multiversity, Batman

Marvel: Avengers, New Avengers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I really liked the superheroes that managed to survive. I feel bad for Susan and the FF, but oh well. They'll probably show up as a surprise cliffhanger or something.

Loved this.

My only complaint was I wish there were more heroes in the issue even just for 1 panel. It was kind of insulting to only have certain heroes in the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Guess I would have to wait and see what happens in issue 2
    Which is only a week away!

Also, I just reached this realization: Steve and Tony legit took each other out. That's crazy.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Well that was pretty darn insane. Poor Reed. Though given the nature of Secret Wars I wouldn't call anyone dead at this point.

Ultimate Tony flirting with Carol amid the insane amount of chaos was very amusing, especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Loved this.

My only complaint was I wish there were more heroes in the issue even just for 1 panel. It was kind of insulting to only have certain heroes in the battle.
    I'm getting the impression that Ultimate End is going to be the book to expand on the 616/Ultimate conflict better, or at least the aftermath.

So who have died so far? On panel at least.

- Tony
    - Odinson
    - Hyperion
    - Starbrand
    - Nightmask
    - Steve
    - Rocket Racoon
    - Back Widow
    - Spider-Woman
    - Beast
    - Ex Nihilo / Abyss
    - Tons of Supervillains
    - The whole FF except Reed

Who else am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I'm getting the impression that Ultimate End is going to be the book to expand on the 616/Ultimate conflict better, or at least the aftermath.
    Awesome. Was looking for it anyways. Now even more excited.

Intense.

Sue and the kids aren't dead, especially with Franklin on board. That kids a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Pretty much, like I said last week to some that it was worth the wait. But yea, some surprising character deaths, (if you weren't spoiled by tumblr and or 4chan)

I'm not without complaints but it was good.
    I enjoyed it thoroughly, but it was still just teasing what actually happened with Doom, Strange, and MM at the end of NA 33... I was hoping for some of those answers.

***Damn, just looked back, that was 40 pages electronically- that's a big book!

But my god, Ribic! It seems like he didn't really ink his pages, like maybe he scanned in the pencils and edited them that way... And the color art is perfect!

This is going to be a great series. I do feel sorry for everyone who's jumping on fresh. I guess you don't really need to know about how the Cabal ended up on 1610, or Maker...but having read NA, Avengers, and Hickman's ultimates helps bigtime.

Of course PhoenixClops ends up on the raft..oh well

My question is, has Maker been spying on 616 for awhile? How then did he get a design of the raft? Maybe the cabal stole them from the Illuminati somehow before they got stuck on 616...
    Last edited by Biclopcicle; 05-06-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Intense.

Sue and the kids aren't dead, especially with Franklin on board. That kids a monster.

Absolutely. Franklin still has his powers, no? Im sure if Susan managed to keep her shield up they could have survived in whitespace until Battleworld was encountered

Yeah, Cyclops is now a Phoenix again, how the heck did that happen? Was the Phoenix Egg ever explained as to where he got that thing?

Haven't really been following TRO myself but I didn't feel lost (currently reading Infinity as well), outside not knowing who Pod is.

Ultimate Member

After reading this, I can only say that a hard re-boot (or reset) is coming

I mean, we had a whole raft of major characters die.