Spideyparker75

Default Read My First Marvel Issue (May Contain Spoilers)

It was Avengers # 44. Have to say in spite of not knowing too many of the characters this was an enjoyable read. Hickman delivered a good ending to his run and segueing of course into Secret Wars.

The clash between Iron Man and Captain America was great, even with the world ending around them it was all about who is right and wrong. The scenes in the White House were cool and I loved the ending.

Overall a nice start for me, really want to get into things now after this.

Seeing how you just enjoyed this issue even though it's among chaos just makes me happy that it disproves those people who keep going "Comics are too confusing"

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Seeing how you just enjoyed this issue even though it's among chaos just makes me happy that it disproves those people who keep going "Comics are too confusing"
    I just read it for what it was and enjoyed it. I had no preconceptions going in. I was advised to read it as it helps with understanding Secret Wars so I did. It was great.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and will reread it again.

BANNED

Glad you enjoyed it. I always get a bit cynical when it comes to hero on hero conflicts because I've seen it unfold too much from this company, but reading that it still generates interest from fresh eyes seems to relax me a bit. At least it still works. Good luck with Secret Wars.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Threads View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. I always get a bit cynical when it comes to hero on hero conflicts because I've seen it unfold too much from this company, but reading that it still generates interest from fresh eyes seems to relax me a bit. At least it still works. Good luck with Secret Wars.
    Thank you. I know I will have a lot of questions about it but Im looking forward to it. I have issues 1 and 2 so when I get a chance Ill read them. I want to take my time and enjoy them.

Stan Lee said: "Every comic book is someone's first".

Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    There is nothing disproven here. It all depends on the issue quite frankly... and to some extent the person reading it. We have examples of this in these very forums that certain issues.. depending on how complex or the degree of an unexplained backstory is required to appreciate said comic .. even read by Marvel fans who have been reading other select Marvel comics for years... leave some new readers pondering "What did I just read???"
    Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 05-18-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Stan Lee said: "Every comic book is someone's first".

Glad you enjoyed it.
    Indeed he did.

The man is a legend.

I will say that Im not a complete comic novice.

Years ago, maybe 30 odd years ago I picked up a Superman DC hardcover that if I remember correctly featured two supermen a blue and a red one and lex luthor killed the red one while Lois Lane watched. Wished I kept it. That was my first. I also read some marvel Star Wars comics before moving over to Transformers circa 1986 which I read until about 1990.

I resumed reading Tfs in 2011 with IDW running the show but hadnt read or picked up a Marvel superhero title ever. So I have absolutely no clue about what marvel had done in the last 30 years. I heard about Secret Wars and the geek in me wanted me to check it out. It was only when I did that I discovered just how many continuities and titles there are in the marvel universe. It is overwhelming in many respects. I wanted to see who survived and more importantly who died in Secret Wars but was and still am quite lost. However I do know that I like Spiderman (remember the short lived live action series) and was a big bill bixby/lou ferrigno fan so the Avengers were something I liked too. I also read some Iron Man when it was a back up strip to transformers ( i read Armor Wars when it was originally published).

But in terms of the Marvel Universe now I am new but Im learning.

I know what I like and what I want to read more off and more importantly know what I dont like.

BANNED

I know a great deal about Iron Man lore from reading websites, wikis, and occasionally browsing some comics in the store, but it's only been with Superior Iron Man that I've felt the urge to actually buy and support the character in a book. Don't know why I held off that long.

Spideyparker75

Armor Wars was quite entertaining when I read it years ago. I saw the comic in my LCS and flicked through it bringing back a lot of memories I thought were long forgotten. I also liked the design of the suit and the Tony Stark character was interesting so if you havent read it Id reccommend it.

Old school marvel and for me this was Iron Man at his best.

Not overly pushed on his current look.

BANNED

There was also my cousin who collected some old "Marvel Action Hour" comic which ran for about four issues reprinting 80s FF and Iron Man stories (to coincide with the action hour showed as part of the block) and the story they ran with for Stark was one where his power is cut off and he's abducted by a pretty obese nerd who abused his mother. Always stood out to me.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Threads View Post
    There was also my cousin who collected some old "Marvel Action Hour" comic which ran for about four issues reprinting 80s FF and Iron Man stories (to coincide with the action hour showed as part of the block) and the story they ran with for Stark was one where his power is cut off and he's abducted by a pretty obese nerd who abused his mother. Always stood out to me.
    Sounds cool.

So many different stories have been told and its only when you try to wade through it all you realise just how complicated it can be for newbies. And Iron Man is just one character out of how many that populate the Marvel Universe?

Its all second nature to long term readers but for new readers (even those approaching 40) its all a bit of a complicated mess.

Nevertheless you can still read a comic like I did with Avengers and enjoy it for what it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyparker75 View Post
    Sounds cool.

So many different stories have been told and its only when you try to wade through it all you realise just how complicated it can be for newbies. And Iron Man is just one character out of how many that populate the Marvel Universe?

Its all second nature to long term readers but for new readers (even those approaching 40) its all a bit of a complicated mess.

Nevertheless you can still read a comic like I did with Avengers and enjoy it for what it is.
    You're about to become addicted. Once you start to notice how different things fit together, you'll be compelled to find out more. The more you learn, the more you will want
    to read. You can entertain yourself for hours just using Wikipedia to get some basic info. Some of the characters have 20 -30 page entries, plus all the links sprinkled throughout
    every one of them. Then you'll probably want to buy all the stuff you find out about. But it's a lot of fun. I think I enjoyed comics the most when it was just starting to make
    sense to me.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    You're about to become addicted. Once you start to notice how different things fit together, you'll be compelled to find out more. The more you learn, the more you will want
    to read. You can entertain yourself for hours just using Wikipedia to get some basic info. Some of the characters have 20 -30 page entries, plus all the links sprinkled throughout
    every one of them. Then you'll probably want to buy all the stuff you find out about. But it's a lot of fun. I think I enjoyed comics the most when it was just starting to make
    sense to me.
    Its a concern in a way that I will become addicted to the universe. At this moment in time I have 8 comics in total on order every month or will have from July or so. Add in figures like the Combiner Wars transformers that I pick up as they are released and its an expensive business.

My plan at this stage after Secret Wars is to pick up Know your vows and All New. All Different Avengers in addition to two Star Wars titles and about 4 Tf titles.

Ouch.

I am already looking around for info on Marvel characters and havent ruled out adding a 3rd superhero title to the pile depending on what is released after SW.

Im open minded and within reason will give something a try if the title and premise looks good.