View Poll Results: Who is the best Spidey artist this century?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Romita Jr

8 23.53%
  • Ron Garney

3 8.82%
  • Humberto Ramos

3 8.82%
  • Mike Deodato Jr.

2 5.88%
  • Paolo Rivera

1 2.94%
  • Marcos Martin

8 23.53%
  • Stefano Caselli

1 2.94%
  • Giuseppe Camuncoli

3 8.82%
  • Ryan Stegman

2 5.88%
  • Other (please name below)

3 8.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Polvo Aranha View Post
    Without comments.
    Sorry to burst your bubble. It's hard finding out someone in the world doesn't share your opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Really?? Why would you say that? I didn't vote for him (I chose Marcos Martin) but Ramos certainly has plenty of fans or else he would not be on the book as long as he has.
    It's all one big conspiracy.

BANNED

Really?? Why would you say that? I didn't vote for him (I chose Marcos Martin) but Ramos certainly has plenty of fans or else he would not be on the book as long as he has.
    We're getting old, Magneto...

I am the guy who chose "Other." Went with Bagley. Love Ramos and JRjr, too, they are my runners up. But Bagley just made something really special out of that USM run with Bendis.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I am the guy who chose "Other." Went with Bagley. Love Ramos and JRjr, too, they are my runners up. But Bagley just made something really special out of that USM run with Bendis.

He really did; and I am also a big fan of Sara Pichelli's work on that title as well. But I suppose I was thinking mostly 616 Spidey when I did this.....now that I think of it, I really dig Buckingham's work on Spectacular Spider-Man though I would have to go back and see if that was late 1990's or early 2000's.

I love Caselli art on Spider-Man, but yeah this was a difficult choice since I also like Ramos, Stegman, Garney (got into Amazing during Civil War) and I wish Coipiel would done the whole Spider-Verse event.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I can see it. Sometimes they were off to me, but generally it worked for me. I think he was trusting the colorists heavily with the faces. A lot of detail came in through shading with the colors.

He also reused talking head shots a lot. But the guy was producing 22 pages every three weeks.
    maybe the repetition was a bit of what put me off.

from memory, everyone’s faces were really…pointy. too much chin, and too sharp. the cheekbones were always harsh too.

Kinda surprised Paolo Rivera has not gotten any love on this poll; just those OMIT covers alone are enough to enshrine his work in the annals of great Spidey art for me!

For me, Marcos Martin is a long way ahead of anyone else. It's such a shame that his body of work is so small.

He really did; and I am also a big fan of Sara Pichelli's work on that title as well. But I suppose I was thinking mostly 616 Spidey when I did this.....now that I think of it, I really dig Buckingham's work on Spectacular Spider-Man though I would have to go back and see if that was late 1990's or early 2000's.
    For 616 alone, its a tough call. It was easier to state JRjr and Ramos as runners up, but you reminded me of Martin. I guess JRjr, but all three artists are equal in my opinion.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Kinda surprised Paolo Rivera has not gotten any love on this poll; just those OMIT covers alone are enough to enshrine his work in the annals of great Spidey art for me!
    He's brilliant, but I think it's a lack of output. He's done fewer issues than even Marcos Martin.

You're right, of course….when I think of Paolo's Spidey, he has done a lot of cover art but very little interior work. His covers for the last half of the Avenging Spider-Man run were all excellent.

BANNED

You're right, of course….when I think of Paolo's Spidey, he has done a lot of cover art but very little interior work. His covers for the last half of the Avenging Spider-Man run were all excellent.
    He also painted the interiors for an issue of Spectacular way back in 2004.

Love that he does small-eyes Spidey.

Mighty Member

I thought everyone hated Romita now.

Love Caselli, Stegman, Martin and Rivera, but I voted Camu because I want him to be the main guy after Secret Wars. Seems possible.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    He also painted the interiors for an issue of Spectacular way back in 2004.

Love that he does small-eyes Spidey.
    He sure did and I was lucky enough to have him sign that issue for me at NYCC a few years back!