Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Secret Wars, #1

"The End Times" kicks off Marvel's latest event in Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic's "Secret Wars" #1, as the latest Incursion brings the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe crashing together.

Full review here.

What is the death you're referring to that only takes up 1/8th of the page? I've been scouring the issue and I can't figure out which one you're talking about.

I think it's in reference to spoilers:
    Rocket and Groot. The only other deaths I saw were Sue, Johnny and Ben with the rest of the Richards clan and they deaths got much more screen time
    end of spoilers

Small complaint but anyone else notice that Gamora is no longer cosmic? Did she relinquish her Black Vortex powers in the pages of GotG after the event ended?
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013

spoilers:
    Could be Natasha and (presumably) Hank, Jessica and Amadeus too.
    end of spoilers

Just saying. Man this issue . . . Man.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I agree with the score. It's fine, but could have been better. Felt clumsy at the beginning as it tried to rush out backstory to explain to people just joining what was going on, the pacing felt off a lot of the times (going too fast and trying to do too much or just going very slow in order to try be dramatic), the characterization was okay but nothing too memorable outside of the Punisher bit, the artwork was terrible with depicting characters' mouths, it is inaccessible to anyone who hasn't been reading Hickman's stuff, and the ending sort of peters out.

Still, it succeeds at creating tension and setting up a desperate situation, while there were some nice shots in the book. Hopefully the next issue really picks up now that the end of reality has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TonySnark View Post
    What is the death you're referring to that only takes up 1/8th of the page? I've been scouring the issue and I can't figure out which one you're talking about.
    Does it matter considering no one makes it out of the book alive?

Quote Originally Posted by TonySnark View Post
    Maybe spoilers:
    Black Bolt
    end of spoilers, in addition to others already mentioned.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

This was one of the most inaccessible and borderline incomprehensible books I've read in a long time. It seems like Hickman (and editorial, by extension) are saying, "Oh, you haven't been reading both Avengers titles for the past 3 years? Then F*%& you. A new reader wants to jump into Marvel Comics through this well-publicized event? Good f*&^ing luck."

I understand that in an event dealing with this many characters in this kind of situation, you won't know everything that's going on with everyone. But I read all the core X-Books, so why is it that I have no F*%&ING idea what Nation X is or why Cyclops has Sentinels? Not to mention whatever the Phoenix Egg is. I mean, you'd think they'd be able to base the X-Men's current status based on their actual books, but maybe I'm just being naive.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting, which I kinda am, but this issue was such an extreme disappointment to me, especially knowing that I will need to go back and buy a number of Avengers books from the last few months to have any idea why things are the way they are with characters I like (Cyclops, specifically).

I have hope for the rest of the series since it seems that building Battleworld up will be easier to follow than watching both universes end. But this issue was a massive, MASSIVE disappointment.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    This was one of the most inaccessible and borderline incomprehensible books I've read in a long time. It seems like Hickman (and editorial, by extension) are saying, "Oh, you haven't been reading both Avengers titles for the past 3 years? Then F*%& you. A new reader wants to jump into Marvel Comics through this well-publicized event? Good f*&^ing luck."

I understand that in an event dealing with this many characters in this kind of situation, you won't know everything that's going on with everyone. But I read all the core X-Books, so why is it that I have no F*%&ING idea what Nation X is or why Cyclops has Sentinels? Not to mention whatever the Phoenix Egg is. I mean, you'd think they'd be able to base the X-Men's current status based on their actual books, but maybe I'm just being naive.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting, which I kinda am, but this issue was such an extreme disappointment to me, especially knowing that I will need to go back and buy a number of Avengers books from the last few months to have any idea why things are the way they are with characters I like (Cyclops, specifically).

I have hope for the rest of the series since it seems that building Battleworld up will be easier to follow than watching both universes end. But this issue was a massive, MASSIVE disappointment.
    The Cyclops thing isn't Hickman's fault--it's Bendis and crew because the issues of Uncanny X-Men, et al were supposed to come out BEFORE this originally and Marvel chose not to hold up the entire thing.

It's like when we saw Steve Rogers come back in the comics before the conclusion to Reborn, etc.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post

I thought it was awesome! But then I've been reading Avengers and NA throughout. I I will though save you some money - the stuff with cyclops isn't explained earlier (other than that he had a phoenix egg) and was planning something. We'll just have to hold out for the rest of SW, or maybe it's in uncanny 600 (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    spoilers:
    Could be Natasha and (presumably) Hank, Jessica and Amadeus too.
    end of spoilers

Just saying. Man this issue . . . Man.
    Jessica's chair is empty. I think she survived.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1p6ifHETx4...%2B001-023.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Spectacular Member

This is a shamefully low score. This is one of the best event first issues any publisher has ever put out. Finally we have an event that rewards long term readership. If readers don't get the context because they didn't read Avengers, that's not Hickman's fault. I'm extremely relieved I didn't have to suffer through any expository catchup meant to hold new readers' hands through concepts that are frankly not that hard to understand. I haven't read an Ultimate comic since Millar left the Ultimates, but I was able to understand everything on that end with a quick visit to Wikipedia. This comic was a huge payoff, and masterfully executed.

Amazing Member

I didn't read Avengers/New Avengers and didn't have trouble understanding what was going on. Did the people who are confused read the #0 issue from FCBD?

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    I thought it was awesome! But then I've been reading Avengers and NA throughout. I I will though save you some money - the stuff with cyclops isn't explained earlier (other than that he had a phoenix egg) and was planning something. We'll just have to hold out for the rest of SW, or maybe it's in uncanny 600 (maybe).
    Thanks! I really appreciate the rundown.

As for stuff being explained in Bendis's books, it's certainly possible that they'll lead to this: it just seems like the solicits for his last couple issues don't seem to imply the major status quo shift that seems to have happened in SW. Maybe it does, but that seems like a lot of stuff has to happen in a small amount of time, especially for Bendis. :-)

But we'll see!

I got the broad strokes of the story in terms of the incursions and all that, I was just confused by different character affiliations, statuses, etc.

Seeing as the main book is the only one being written by Hickman, I have high hopes that the rest of the series will be good. I'm also glad we only have to wait a week until #2.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    This is a shamefully low score. This is one of the best event first issues any publisher has ever put out. Finally we have an event that rewards long term readership. If readers don't get the context because they didn't read Avengers, that's not Hickman's fault. I'm extremely relieved I didn't have to suffer through any expository catchup meant to hold new readers' hands through concepts that are frankly not that hard to understand. I haven't read an Ultimate comic since Millar left the Ultimates, but I was able to understand everything on that end with a quick visit to Wikipedia. This comic was a huge payoff, and masterfully executed.
    While I would agree most events don't need to start with a big catch up, remember that this one does effect every single other comic and not just Avengers/New Avengers. I only follow Iron Man and some of the spider characters really, so it was kind of annoying having to go searching for why Iron Man didn't appear at all in #1.