Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: DC Sneak Peek: Midnighter

Midnigter's on the hunt for the Perdition Pistol, a legendary weapon believed to fire bullets with body-snatching demons inside -- but you shouldn't listen to everything the old stories say....

Full preview here.

Always Rakzo

Midnighter having sex with Warren Ellis is reason enough for me to pick this issue!

Oh, joy . . . let's start out right away with a gratuitous reminder that our star is a homosexual.

Was that first page really needed for the story?

(And, yes, I'd wonder the same thing if it was a scene where the guy had bedded a girl instead.)

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oh, joy . . . let's start out right away with a gratuitous reminder that our star is a homosexual.

(And, yes, I'd wonder the same thing if it was a scene where the guy had bedded a girl instead.)
    Oh, come on. People wouldn't wonder the same if he was with a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Totally agree.

Mighty Member

well it did establish a couple things, Midnighter doesn't have a secret identity and doesn't make the slightest attempt to hide who is he, he's NOT with Apollo, and he wears Batman underwear.

Those are all very important.

I could've gotten into this one, but it lacks something...hmmm...besides Apollo.

Pass on this.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

hm. thinkin' this looks pretty decent so far. may give it a go.

Some might not . . . but I'm old enough that I don't need cheap comic book titillation, so I'd still wonder if jumping right in to a story with a scene of a man leaving an unknown woman in bed so he could go out and bash heads / splatter blood was really "necessary" for that story.

For new readers, maybe?? For those of us, who's been around the block a bit, I don't think it was needed, but then again, its my understanding that, he's living the single life at the moment, so, I guess it should be expected...
    #MagnetoWasRight

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

That was great actually. Classic Minighter (sans Apolo, though). Snark, looks, skills, all fixed. I'm in for the ride.

(y)

BANNED

Well it looks okay to me. Doesn't come across as a civics lesson or some woman's slash fantasy.

My only issue is that I thought he was in a relationship with Appollo. They either broke up or have an open relationship. I also don't like the shaved head.Anbd I thought that Midi was blond. At any rate I might give this a go once I give the book the once over. I don't suspect that it will last long though....

Fantastic Member

The "HERE ARE SO MANY CONDOMS - BOOM CONVERSATION WITH ONE-NIGHT STAND" beats were a bit much, yeah.

Buuuut, Midnighter being a gay ... superhero? antihero? ... is still unique and makes sense to establish early on.

Everything else about this was super boss and I'm probably on board after being 50/50.

Re: Above: If I recall correctly, Stormwatch left them on something of an ambiguous note. I'm guessing it didn't pan out in the short term. I do hope we see Apollo, though.

It would actually have felt a lot more unnecessary.

I can see its role here, though, in establishing his sexuality upfront. It'd be nice if gay superhero characters were more mundane, so that it didn't need to be established, but it is what it is. While they could absolutely hold off on that until it's more relevant in a first issue, it makes sense to try to include one of the character's selling points in an eight-page preview.
    Last edited by Cipher; 05-06-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    well it did establish a couple things, Midnighter doesn't have a secret identity and doesn't make the slightest attempt to hide who is he, he's NOT with Apollo, and he wears Batman underwear.

Those are all very important.
    Agreed, there was nothing gratuitous about this.

Still on the fence with this book, though.

Fantastic Member

Wow that preview's awesome. Midnighter kicking ass. Definitely in my pull list.