Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: We Stand On Guard, #1

SAGA writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN teams with artistic legend and MATRIX storyboard artist STEVE SKROCE for an action-packed military thriller that will have everyone talking. 100 years from now, a heroic band of Canadian civilians must defend their homeland from invasion...by the United States of America! The hyper-detailed combat between badass freedom fighters and giant f***ing robots begins with a spectacular 40-PAGE FIRST ISSUE for the regular price of just $2.99!

Full article here.

Can't say I like the art there. I think I will definitely skip this one.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Haha my initial thought was "wow that's some lazy Google Translate work." So was glad to see the character pointing out the bad French; serves me right for immediately jumping to harsh conclusions.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Amazing Member

It's nice to have an extra sized first issue for no extra price. (looking at you Marvel)

I'll probably try out this series. I dig the premise, even though I'm usually not a fan of Vaughan's dialogue.

Amazing Member

Still gonna pull this. The premise is awesome enough for me.

This is a mini, right?

Debating on trade-waiting it. As a Canadian, I'll read anything about us beating the US in something other than Hockey or Healthcare. Heh.

Totally grabbing this. I love Brian K. Vaughn and the premise sounds really interesting.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

It's USA vs. Canada. 'Nuff said. Art is looking good to me.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

I think the art is certainly well done, but on a personal level I don't like it as much as BKV's other recent collaborators, who are a lot more stylish (Staples, Martin, Chiang).

I usually avoid minis but I liked BKV's other recent mini so much (The Private Eye) that I'll give this a shot. This seems to be a bit similar (future dystopia reflecting on our current culture's obsession with technology) so hopefully it's at the same level of quality.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Don't love the art, but no way I'm passing up new BKV. Much more hyped on Paper Girls, despite not having much idea what it's about, besides, you know, paper girls.

Looks good. Am I the only one who thinks the art looks a lot like Jason Howard's in 'Trees'?

Will probably end up buying the individual floppies and the trade. Quite a big fan of Vaughan.
    Last edited by ysemaj; 05-09-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Vaughn hasn't let me down yet, so skipping this is not an option. Should be cool, even if "America is the evil empire" is a bit obvious. At least Saga takes place in a fictional world where the villains just happen to be very reminiscent of America. I don't mind metaphors, but now it is just "America invades its peaceful neighbors, what dicks, huh?". Just seems a bit obvious. Saga at least tries to be subtle with the real world parallels, which makes it feel smarter and more subversive.

Quote Originally Posted by BookOfPureEvil View Post
    It's nice to have an extra sized first issue for no extra price. (looking at you Marvel).
    +1

10char
    #MagnetoWasRight