View Poll Results: How would you rate the Sam Raimi/ Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+: One of the peaks of world cinema.

6 8.22%
  • A: Excellent. Highly recommended.

25 34.25%
  • B: Good. Recommended. Usually worth rewarching.

36 49.32%
  • C: Meh. Mostly not worth rewatching.

3 4.11%
  • D: Poor. Not recommended.

2 2.74%
  • F: Even worse than the above.

0 0%
  • N/A: Haven't/ Won't Read It,

1 1.37%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah. That scene was ugly. It was intended to be but again making Peter act like just like MJ's abusive father and creepy boyfriends from before...was a terrible move after you spend the first two movies building this great screen romance. David Michelinie and others called that moment out as distasteful too. I mean of all the crap in the Clone Saga, that shows on the screen rather than say Norman resurrected or Aunt May dying in the single best story in that saga.

Spider-Man 3 is a bad movie. And Sam Raimi is principally responsible for that. Sure he was forced Venom, but he had the option of walking away and letting someone else do it (like Tim Burton walked away after the first 2 Batman movies). This is the only Spider-Man movie on which he has a screenplay credit. Sandman being the Burglar, this unmerited elevation of Harry Osborn, all his ideas. He didn't do Venom justice either. Granted he disliked the character but he also misread him. And here's the joke, Venom 2018 became this huge success and cult classic.
    Yeah, it was bad enough he hit her in the comics. And I'm guessing having Sandman be Uncle Ben's true killer was all Raimi's. For what reason? This movie made Peter pretty easy to hate and it pretty much killed Tobey Mcguire's credibility as an actor. Seems there's been some people who make excuses for this movie, but all this mess was the reason why a part 4 didn't happen it became so toxic and wasn't gonna be seen in the same light. Gwen's appearance was seemed to only be used to drive a wedge between Peter and MJ. This is one of those movies I can never unsee and I didn't bother with the other recent reboots. The character has been toxic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Yeah, it was bad enough he hit her in the comics. And I'm guessing having Sandman be Uncle Ben's true killer was all Raimi's. For what reason? This movie made Peter pretty easy to hate and it pretty much killed Tobey Mcguire's credibility as an actor.
    As a lead actor, definitely. He's done better as a supporting player. Like The Great Gatsby. And I am sure a lot of the Tobeyface jokes and others on the net is because of Spider-Man 3 where Tobey showed...ahem...a certain talent for camp. Still he is a good actor and it was quite interesting that Raimi cast him in the movies because he was an indie actor before that. In fact Kirsten Dunst said that she signed on for Spider-Man when she heard Tobey was in it because she thought it was cool someone like him would be in a movie like this. Dunst also appeared in independent and weird movies before that...and after that too, and along with Dafoe and Simmons has probably the best career of that crew while James Franco became possibly camp in real life.

Gwen's appearance was seemed to only be used to drive a wedge between Peter and MJ.
    According to Raimi, both Venom and Gwen Stacy were forced on him. See I don't have much sympathy for his complaints about Venom being forced. From a producer logic if you are going to do a trilogy you need the three biggest villains and that was Goblin, Octopus, Venom. So regardless of your feelings about that, I tend to think the producers were consistent there. Whereas Raimi's ideas was to make Sandman, complete with green pinstrip tee, be the real killer of Uncle Ben and for Peter to "forgive" him(!). My feeling is that Raimi should have done what Burton did. Burton made two awesome Batman movies, and bowed out of the third when the producers wanted a new direction. He stepped away and allowed the producers to find whoever they could to give them the Batman they wanted.

I do agree with Raimi about Gwen though. Raimi never liked the character of Gwen Stacy (http://www.bookofthedead.ws/hosted/m...0MovieHole.htm) and was against her insertion into the movie.