Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43
  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Well earth X was an extrmely popular run that lasted for quite a while and could have sustained itself if they actually tried.

    I mean spin offs are insane from a SpiderGwen standpoint, but building a whole universe that's not the same in a variety of ways could work. Lord knows Ultimate crashed and burned hard despite having a very solid simple premise to build it around.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    The Ultimate line crashed because of a lack of restraint.

    Freedom from the constraints of a decades-long continuity is not freedom from logical and sustainable story choices. How Ultimatum was allowed to happen, I'll never understand. (Not that that was the beginning of, or the whole, problem. It's just the point it reached critical mass.)

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Wow. Its really hilarious that the moment the get rid of their existing alternate universes with a big event marks the beginning of yet another new alternative universe.
    Not really. If anything, this might be why Spider-Verse is a Warzones title. Sure, we could see Gwen interacting with some counterparts that originated from her home world, but I doubt we'll see the Spider-Gwen equivalent of Latveria or something.

    So if we have this, can we get spinoffs for The Regency?

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    This would be the Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Books strategy.



    I dunno. I understand the desire to compare this possibility to the launches of the MC2 and/or the Ultimate line, but I'm not sure it's valid. The Ultimate line was initially about introducing classic characters into the modern era; MC2 was focused on giving a glimpse at the next generation of Marvel heroes - both of these lines had a basic guiding principle. Spider-Gwen, though, is solely a reversal of fate regarding two beloved characters; we get Gwen as the hero rather than the victim, with Peter fulfilling the role of tragic figure. Nothing else that we've seen in the book so far really follows that same principle, y'know? So what would be the guiding principle of a line of books set in this universe other than "things are different"?

    More importantly, could any spinoffs achieve the aesthetics that have made this book/character so popular?

    -Pav, who liked best when Josie and the Pussycats were in outer space...
    I don't know if the rest of the world has to follow Gwen's role-reversal theme. Hip, modern, colorful seem to work fine. Perhaps more down to Earth stories.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The Ultimate line crashed because of a lack of restraint.

    Freedom from the constraints of a decades-long continuity is not freedom from logical and sustainable story choices. How Ultimatum was allowed to happen, I'll never understand. (Not that that was the beginning of, or the whole, problem. It's just the point it reached critical mass.)
    Its appeal was that it was a modern take on the characters free from the burden of continuity. That said, once the continuity built up for the Ultimate Universe itself and the Marvel Universe made several changes to modernize and resemble more like the Ultimate U the whole thing started to lose its appeal. Ultimatum was a failed gamble to save the universe, it wasn't the root of the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I don't know if the rest of the world has to follow Gwen's role-reversal theme. Hip, modern, colorful seem to work fine. Perhaps more down to Earth stories.
    Agreed. Hopefully they understand that the main appeal of Spider-Gwen is not the gimmick that she's Gwen, but the modern visuals and storytelling style that she represents.
    Last edited by Probalus; 05-08-2015 at 09:52 AM.

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    This is exactly what happened with MC2 and the Ultimate universe. So it's no surprise it's happening again, especially since so far Spider Gwen is more popular than either Spider-Girl or Ultimate Spidey as far as sales are concerned.
    Plus, look at all the Guardians of the Galaxy titles.

    There's the Bendis book, Starlord, Rocket Raccoon, Guardians 3000 and Guardians Team-Up.

    With Groot, Nebula, and Drax on the horizon.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    This would be the Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Books strategy.



    I dunno. I understand the desire to compare this possibility to the launches of the MC2 and/or the Ultimate line, but I'm not sure it's valid. The Ultimate line was initially about introducing classic characters into the modern era; MC2 was focused on giving a glimpse at the next generation of Marvel heroes - both of these lines had a basic guiding principle. Spider-Gwen, though, is solely a reversal of fate regarding two beloved characters; we get Gwen as the hero rather than the victim, with Peter fulfilling the role of tragic figure. Nothing else that we've seen in the book so far really follows that same principle, y'know? So what would be the guiding principle of a line of books set in this universe other than "things are different"?

    More importantly, could any spinoffs achieve the aesthetics that have made this book/character so popular?

    -Pav, who liked best when Josie and the Pussycats were in outer space...
    There are unique circumstances here that can have everyone involved seeing dollar signs.

    Jason Latour isn't writing anything else, so Marvel's probably thinking of ways to give him more work.

    He might be better known as an artist, so a no-brainer would be some kind of mini-series where he's the writer/ artist. That avoids the difficulty of finding an artist who is a good fit, for at least that one project.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    Ultimatum was a failed gamble to save the universe,
    By blowing it up and turning Spider-Man into The Facts of Life with superheroes?

    it wasn't the root of the problem.
    I said it was the point of critical mass.

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are unique circumstances here that can have everyone involved seeing dollar signs.

    Jason Latour isn't writing anything else, so Marvel's probably thinking of ways to give him more work.

    He might be better known as an artist, so a no-brainer would be some kind of mini-series where he's the writer/ artist. That avoids the difficulty of finding an artist who is a good fit, for at least that one project.
    He is drawing Southern Bastards, though. And seems to be constantly traveling between conventions and signings.

    None of which are located in Texas! But that's beside the point.

    Still! Texas!

  10. #25

    Default

    An Ultimate Marvel Team-Up style approach could work for a satellite book, with new artists for each arc, and each storyline featuring a twist on Marvel mainstays.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    He is drawing Southern Bastards, though. And seems to be constantly traveling between conventions and signings.

    None of which are located in Texas! But that's beside the point.

    Still! Texas!
    I doubt Marvel minds if Southern Bastards goes on an extended hiatus.

  11. #26
    Veteran Member MikeMC005's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Please dont turn a good thing into a bad thing by creating a "new universe"... Dont ruin this for us.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    An Ultimate Marvel Team-Up style approach could work for a satellite book, with new artists for each arc, and each storyline featuring a twist on Marvel mainstays.

    I don't know if the market favors team-up books currently. To some degree, maybe, but I think they'd do better to find a creative team to run a specific series long-term. A Waid/Samnee or Latour/Rodriguez. Seems to excite the fan base more if there's a crew to get behind.


    I doubt Marvel minds if Southern Bastards goes on an extended hiatus.
    While true, I'd like to think Latour has enough principles to prefer the freedom of a creator-owned work over money. Well, at least until Hollywood offers to adapt the book to television or film for money.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 05-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    716

    Default

    I doubt like hell that latour's going to stop southern bastards to write more marvel books. Marvel's not going to shell out the kinda money to make up the difference in what creator owned comics make for their creators

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    By blowing it up and turning Spider-Man into The Facts of Life with superheroes?
    They saw it as getting too similar to the regular Marvel U and did something drastic to change up the status quo. It failed horribly but I don't think they would have done a story like that if there wasn't already a big problem with the line.

    I said it was the point of critical mass.
    I know. I wasn't disagreeing with you, especially in when referring to the decline in the Ultimate universe in hindsight. The universe was in decline and Ultimatum accelerated the decline.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I doubt like hell that latour's going to stop southern bastards to write more marvel books. Marvel's not going to shell out the kinda money to make up the difference in what creator owned comics make for their creators
    Do writers and artists actually make more money in creator owned comics though? Circulation is significantly less in general. I thought they like to do it because they have more freedom to do what they want and they get to keep the rights to the character. Not that they get paid more by the publisher.
    Last edited by Probalus; 05-08-2015 at 11:44 AM.

  15. #30
    Amazing Member Wonderllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Ultimate Spider-Gwen!

    Gwen Stacy, The Spectacular Spider-Woman!

    Spider-Gwen Team-Up!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •