Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REPORT: ABC, Marvel Pull Plans for "Agents of SHIELD" Spinoff

The series, which was believed to star Adrianne Palicki and Nick Blood, will not be moving forward with the network.

Full article here.

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Good, Hunter and Mockingbird need to stay on AoS.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Nick Blood is so hot but I don't care for his character and while I dig Mockingbird I didn't think the two of them could lead another show, especially since it would basically be dividing up SHIELD into two series when it only kinda works as one

I'm glad they are not breaking the show up. I like the dynamic of everybody together on one show.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

Niffleheim

They can hardly carry a scene how the hell would they be able to carry a show by themselves

Palicki can definitely carry a show on her own, but I see the wisdom in not wanting to spin her off. They would end up losing one of their strongest characters.

Makes sense. Keeps the AoS cast together. I have a feeling this new spin-off would have replaced Agent Carter had it not been renewed. Still looking forward to finding out what show Ridley is developing.

Amazing Member

This is great news. They're really good on SHIELD but I don't think the characters are compelling enough to carry their own show.

Squirrel Girl Fanboy BigMike20X6's Avatar

And here I was hoping the series would involve Bobbi and Hunter in the Great Lakes area, training a group of lamer super heroes (Hunter taking Clint's place of course)

Fantastic Member

This is the right decision. Agents of SHIELD ratings are just so-so and I don't see why anyone would expect a spin-off to do better ratings than the main show. Additionally, Agents of SHIELD needs all of the personality it can muster, so it's best not to remove two of the more interesting (and kick-butt) characters from the main show. I'm glad that both of the Agents shows were renewed though and look forward to future episodes.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike20X6 View Post
    And here I was hoping the series would involve Bobbi and Hunter in the Great Lakes area, training a group of lamer super heroes (Hunter taking Clint's place of course)

Heh... they should have an episode where Bobbi shows up to a Halloween party in that outfit.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Good call.

To be honest, Bobbi and Hunter are just an OK part of an OK show. Not compelling enough for their own show.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Heh... they should have an episode where Bobbi shows up to a Halloween party in that outfit.
    That would be funny. Even better if some other people show up in classic superhero costumes.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I feel better now, if only for the sake of Marvel risking oversaturation. Sure, it works for CBS, but they're in a creative rut of their own making of spinoffs and bland sitcoms. To ABC's credit, most of their current lineup survived, which is very rare these days.

As well, I tend to enjoy AoS when the larger team is altogether. Yeah, eventually the team of that size has to split up and choose sides, but for the most part I thought essentially doubling the team was a good move overall (Trip RIP).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebolt1967 View Post
    This is the right decision. Agents of SHIELD ratings are just so-so and I don't see why anyone would expect a spin-off to do better ratings than the main show.
    Folks might be surprised. Better timeslot, less direct competition for key demographics, etc.

But it's probable they couldn't develop a show that was distinct in tone to justify another series...