Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Good. Mockingbird is one of the few things people seem to genuinely like so it'd be a mistake to write her off. Especially since I really don't think the show has enough good will to justify a spin-off in the first place.

Ultimate Member

I think I'd prefer that Bobbi and Hunter remain on this show, since they add a strong presence, and make up, IMO, for the smarmy Coulson, one-note angry-glare May and Mary Sue Skye. Ward, Fitz and Simmons seem to be the only interesting characters left of the originals.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Exactly, you think.

It's your opinion. I respect that but please don't go around saying it like it's a fact.
    What sprung this up?

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000
    Has Agents of SHILED risen up to consistently average?
    The times it had a movie to tie itself into.

Smart move by ABC. I was shocked when this turned out to be the rumored spin-off. It just would've been WAY too similar to SHIELD. Eventually people would have burned out on one or the other or even both.

If they do any more Marvel on ABC, it needs to be something completely independent of the SHIELD concept if they want to keep viewers engaged.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Much as I love AoS, I can't really think of a spinoff concept that would work very well. Maybe an Inhumans show starring Skye and Lincoln... but I doubt Marvel wants an Inhumans-centric story until the movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Much as I love AoS, I can't really think of a spinoff concept that would work very well. Maybe an Inhumans show starring Skye and Lincoln... but I doubt Marvel wants an Inhumans-centric story until the movie.
    Any spin off has the same problem that the main series does, in that while it's set in the MU, there's little to nothing they can do to change the status qou. They're condemned to tread water

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    And here we have it. The people who reflexively find a reason to hate everything with Whedon's name on it.
    Or, you know, maybe not everyone liked Buffy and it's 'cute dialogue' approach to things, or perhaps it doesn't work for everything. It worked for that show, but I actively hate that it's Whedon's-style across EVERYTHING he does to have all of his characters be smart-asses who can never quite describe what they're talking about and have to hit upon a cute and quirky way to do it. It's definitely one of the low-points of the Avengers movies, especially when you have a character like Nick Fury coming out with lines like 'but given it's a stupid-ass decison'. Like, fine; Nick Fury disobeying orders? Fine. But 'stupid-ass' makes him sound like an adolescent teenager.

So... Yeah. Complaining about Whedon forcing the 'Buffy' formula on stuff is hardly wrong, given I certainly expected better of a SHIELD show. We could have had Battlestar Galactica-type SHIELD, we could have had House of Cards-style SHIELD dealing with internal politics, but instead we got Phil Coulson as Giles and the cute kid SHIELD agents who barely look old enough to be out of college as the Scoobies.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStatham View Post
    instead we got Phil Coulson as Giles and the cute kid SHIELD agents who barely look old enough to be out of college as the Scoobies.
    What team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents are you watching?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The only things AoS has in common with Buffy are a team dynamic, witty dialogue and complex characters. It's not even the same type of invented teen-speak dialogue as on Buffy... it's the way people with personalities talk when they're not reciting cardboard exposition, like they do on most TV dramas.

Battlestar Galactica and House of Cards are totally different shows with totally different storytelling needs. Just because they're trendy doesn't mean AoS should rip them off, any more than it should rip off Mad Men, or Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones.

It's my favourite comic book show on network TV (a weak field overall) but I could never see a spin-off working.

keep Bobbi on the main show and find an excuse for her to wear an evening gown like she did in GI Joe..