Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzy_D View Post
    I was casually reading comics up until around 2009 when I pretty much just stopped. Spider Verse seemed like a lot of fun (something I actually enjoy in comics,) and since alternate universe shenanigans has always been one of my favorite comic book conceits I just jumped in. I ended up going back and reading Slott's Superior Spider-Man after the fact largely due to the event.

I WAS a big Spider-Man fan when I first got into comics in the early 90's, so it might not be fair to classify myself as a non-Spider-Man reader.... but it is fair to say that I was more or less a lapsed comic book reader with no immediate knowledge on the current state of Spider-Man pre-Spider Verse.
    yeah, the question can easily be taken both ways. seems you and i are in a similar regarding our status as spider readers. i was just trying to imagine handing spider-verse to any of my friends (most aren’t comic readers and the ones who are would only be casual at best) and none of them would have the patience.

though you’ve highlighted for me that the majority of super hero comic readers are very, very adept at diving into a continuity they know nothing about and teasing out the clues and history from the story itself and researching anything else. you could even say those readers get an extra level of enjoyment from that. not only do they have the patience, they have the desire for it.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    yeah, the question can easily be taken both ways. seems you and i are in a similar regarding our status as spider readers. i was just trying to imagine handing spider-verse to any of my friends (most aren’t comic readers and the ones who are would only be casual at best) and none of them would have the patience.

though you’ve highlighted for me that the majority of super hero comic readers are very, very adept at diving into a continuity they know nothing about and teasing out the clues and history from the story itself and researching anything else. you could even say those readers get an extra level of enjoyment from that. not only do they have the patience, they have the desire for it.
    Wow, you've really nailed it right there. This is pretty much how I am with comics and anime.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Wow, you've really nailed it right there. This is pretty much how I am with comics and anime.
    oh yeah, like many fans, you’re probably a great pop culture historian/anthropologist.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Only peviously read Kravens new Hunt and the first 7 issues of the new ASM relaunch. But I am enjoying spider verse so far. So Id say yes.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Coming as a Spider-Man fan, and someone who has read a lot of Spider-Man comics, loving what Dan Slott (Spider-Verse's main author) has written, I recommend reading the story. Like previous posts have said, you'll be able to piece things together as you read and the story is overall a pretty damn good story. It's not perfect, but I think it will stand the test of time and be considered as one of the most memorable Spidey tales and one of the must reads in Spider-Man lore.

For a fan of alternate universe stories, Spider-verse have a lot of fun moments but the ending it feels rushed and incomplete. But still works.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

If you've played video games like Shattered Dimensions you should be in the right mind-set for this. As said, it's not perfect, suffers a bit too much from "fight/run/fight/run/infodump" but it's a solid adventure, has nice surprises and nods to things like the 70s Japanese Spider-Man series, gives substantial importance to the children of Peter and MJ, utilizes Kane, and gives fans a satisfactory pay-off to the loose ends of Superior Spider-Man and sets things up for future events, not just for the main book, but also for spin-off material that we are seeing unfold presently in Secret Wars and hopefully beyond

Spider-Verse is actually very basic, big event styled, empty story telling that seems to be geared towards Non-Spider-Man readers, which is exactly why I as a longtime regular Spidey reader didn't like it.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 05-22-2015 at 10:35 AM.

If you never knew Secret Wars was going on, and never read a Spiderman book before. If those of us who have, didn't come from the point of a huge Event hangover, and we just picked up this book cold, what would you read?

Spider-Verse #1 is like meeting 4 Spidermen, a little uneasy about the world they live in, and one in particular who sees evidence a little stronger that contradicts her presence. Then this one enters the house of her enemy even though he recognises her, and traps her. Already the tension is enough for the reader to ask questions. Remove Secret Wars completely from the area, and just see SV in isolation.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Now that Spider-Verse is completed and collected, which of these two volumes would you say is the best way to read the event?

Dan Slott's Amazing and Superior Spider-Man issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spide...8007808&sr=8-2

The Spider-Verse: Which collects titles from Amazing (not all of them), Superior, Scarlet, Spider-Woman and other titles. HOWEVER, as with other Marvel collected events, this collected edition is not put in the correct reading order.

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Verse-...8007859&sr=1-1

Fantastic Member

It isn't worth reading, period.

I jumped into it after being away from Spider-Man comics for a while, but I did make sure to read the first oversized hardcover of the 2014 Amazing Spider-Man relaunch. The artwork is fantastic all around, and there's some cool character interactions here and there. It's definitely got its share of huge issues, but it was a fun mess for me.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

What about Spider-Island?

BANNED

Reading? No. Drooling over Coipel's art? Sure.

Spider-Verse is my favorite Spider-Man saga of all time. So yeah, you should.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X