Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting into Grayson! Any info greatly appreciated

I've been a Dick Grayson fan for many years. I just decided recently to start picking up the Grayson comic. I've heard so many great things about it and I think it's an amazing direction to take Grayson in. I know about the world thinking he's dead and going undercover for Batman in Spyral, but is there more I should know? I know it ties into Morrison's run, but it's been quite a while since I read some of the run and I didn't read INC. What is Spyral about? Who is Kathy Kane? What do you guys thing so far and what tie ins to Morrison's run do you like and let me know what they are so I can have much more detail reading the book. I read some info, but I always find it a lot better to go straight and ask the fans about the book. Just a thread about the Grayson book and all the backstory that led up to it. Again all info appreciated. Also can a Mod change it from gratly to greatly lol. Thanks
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 05-10-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

The only setup you might need is Secret Origins #8. Actually the first two pages of Grayson #1 sets up the premise very concisely, but the Secret Origins goes into a little more detail, and lines up well with the beginning of Grayson in terms what the reader is expected to know.. Don't read Forever Evil unless you want to actually read it; Nightwing's role is minor, and the details will be retconned anyway, because setup was really mismanaged.

Should also note that the first hardcover comes out in June, and collects the Secret Origins story, #1-4, and the Futures End one-shot.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    The only setup you might need is Secret Origins #8. Actually the first two pages of Grayson #1 sets up the premise very concisely, but the Secret Origins goes into a little more detail, and lines up well with the beginning of Grayson in terms what the reader is expected to know.. Don't read Forever Evil unless you want to actually read it; Nightwing's role is minor, and the details will be retconned anyway, because setup was really mismanaged.
    You might want to read Forever Evil. People may want it to be retconned but DC is holding to what happened. As being exhibited in issue 9 of Grayson coming out in June he will cross paths with Lex Luther again and they still reference their meeting in Forever Evil in the solicits.

Grayson #9 well probably recap what happens in Forever Evil, and I wouldn't be surprised if Seeley/King have their own version of what transpired.

penetrator of things

nightwing #30 also deals with the aftermath of Forever Evil and leads right into Grayson #1
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Thanks. Will be picking up the Secret Origins and Nightwing #30.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Thanks. Will be picking up the Secret Origins and Nightwing #30.
    Sounds like you're all set! Details like the history of Spyral and Kathy Kane are enriching to have as you follow it monthly, but far from essential as the book will be telling that story itself. And maybe a little differently!

Make sure to come back and tell us how you find it.

Why are yall talkin bout Forever Evil being retconned? Why would they do that?
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Why are yall talkin bout Forever Evil being retconned? Why would they do that?
    Not the whole thing, just Dick's role within it. Because it doesn't really make any sense, and doesn't match up with what's happened afterwards.

The "Event" still stands. But if someone was picking it up to read "how Nightwing became Agent Grayson", then they're not going to find it.

penetrator of things

also, the only things that really tie into the Spyral/Kathy Kane stuff is Batman Inc vol 1, Leviathian Strikes, and Baman Inc vol 2. It's a plot that runs silently in the background, and eventually reveals itself at the end, and pretty much explains everything about Spyral/Batwoman that Grayson doesn't.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

@ Tony Stark: Sounds like you're all set. Grayson is a really good book IMHO so I'm glad to see another person giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Not the whole thing, just Dick's role within it. Because it doesn't really make any sense, and doesn't match up with what's happened afterwards.

The "Event" still stands. But if someone was picking it up to read "how Nightwing became Agent Grayson", then they're not going to find it.
    Yeah, they're going to retcon his role in it. That's surely why Forever Evil was mentioned in Grayson's Secret Origin story and they've billed Lex Luthor's appearance in July's issue as an encounter between Dick and the man who "killed" him in Forever Evil. In other words I don't buy it.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-10-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Yeah, they're going to retcon his role in it. That's surely why Forever Evil was mentioned in Grayson's Secret Origin story and they've billed Lex Luthor's appearance in July's issue as an encounter between Dick and the man who "killed" him in Forever Evil. In other words I don't buy it.
    Believe what you like. I just think it's quite likely that when they tell the story of his death, it will in some way give the DCU a reason to think he's dead. Because Forever Evil doesn't.

He's dead for less than a minute in that story, and the only people who see him die also see him alive. Noone has any reason to think he's dead at the end of the story.

I just think it's likely the circumstances will be tweaked in the retelling, so that it in any way makes sense with what came after.

I'm sure they'll at least tweak the part where the entire Justice League is in the room when he beats up Owlman.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

My theory is that Bruce had it put about that Dick died after they both returned to Gotham probably as a result of whatever injuries he sustained while he was in captivity and/or due to complications caused by Luther killing him temporarily. That would account for the fact that some members of the JL as well as some villains saw him alive at the end of FE as well as why they may believe he is dead now assuming of course that is how things stand as of now. Joker sure seemed surprised to see him in the final Endgame issue so his reaction might support this theory. Right now that's how I'm seeing it anyway and until something happens that contradicts that in story that's the way I'm making this work.

In any case my point from before still stands. If DC was going to retcon Dick's role in FE so soon then it would not have been mentioned in his Secret Orgin story nor would they have billed the July issue of Grayson in the way that they did. I'm not saying that they will never ever retcon it in the future I just don't happen to think they will do so at this time. July's Grayson issue should go a long way toward clearing things up or at least I'm hoping it will.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG