Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I have this image in my head now of Godzilla attacking Las Vegas and Celine saving the town by making the lizard's ear drums explode with her voice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I've checked this link and I don't see his name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ums_in_Germany

I saw Celine's name thrice though.

Celine made history in France with regard to albums sold including Best-selling French album in history.

She saved Las Vegas.

And she's one of the best-selling artists in the Philippines.

Well it's normal since singles from her most current english album didn't really do well. However, her album still sold more than a million copies.

She may not be popular among the younger folks in the USA but they definitely know her. Celine songs are being heard especially on singing competitions.

popularity is still something that has to be considered when we talking about "greatest"

I don't think One Direction sold more #1 in the USA than the Beatles. Please give me a link.

One Direction still has a long way to go. They don't have "longevity".

The "what are you listening right now" thread is little compared to the youtube views.

No it isn't. Celine and her songs are immortal, And Filipinos are always very updated to music.

Why not Celine?

She has a beautiful powerful voice. She is also a nice person. Her songs are also good.

They know her as a figure of fun. Someone to ridicule. A joke. They sing her songs because it's fun to be campy. That's what you're not getting. The Phillipines is the only place where anyone but old ladies take Celine seriously. You've latched onto some pop culture detritus and built it up as something grand. Frankly, that's beautiful. It's like a cargo cult built of old VH1 clips and dentist office muzak. But I hope you can understand why our reaction is different than what you expect

BANNED

Maybe seeing camp queen Kathy Griiffin's take will help.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post

The "what are you listening right now" thread is little compared to the youtube views.
    You're so good at missing the point on things you've almost turned it into an art form. Of course the 'What Are You Listening To Right Now?' thread is miniscule compared to the vast amounts of tat watched by Filipinos. It is however far more representative of the musical tastes of the vast majority of posters on here. You're the only Celine Dion fan on this site and you're attempting to prove her 'greatness' to us all using criteria that is trivial to us. We couldn't give a toss how many YouTube hits she notches up.

Shawn Hopkins has it right. To most music lovers in the West she's little more than a figure of fun. A novelty act.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    You're so good at missing the point on things you've almost turned it into an art form. Of course the 'What Are You Listening To Right Now?' thread is miniscule compared to the vast amounts of tat watched by Filipinos. It is however far more representative of the musical tastes of the vast majority of posters on here. You're the only Celine Dion fan on this site and you're attempting to prove her 'greatness' to us all using criteria that is trivial to us. We couldn't give a toss how many YouTube hits she notches up.

Shawn Hopkins has it right. To most music lovers in the West she's little more than a figure of fun. A novelty act.
    My take is Deon was a mid level pop singer with a nice fan base and then got lucky being asked to sing the theme from what was, at the time, the biggest hit movie ever. I doubt her career would be as big as it was without Titanic.

Mighty Member

LOL, "It's All Coming Back to Me Now!"

I'm not really big into Canadian history but... there's a LOT of people I would place ahead of Celine Dion for the greatest Canadian. I'd sooner pick Andrew McNaughton than Dion. or Thomas Ahearn (who invented the electric oven and electric car heaters, thank you). or Herbert Henry Dow of the Dow Chemical Corporation... heck, I'd put Colin McPhee ahead of Celine Dion for his work as a composer and ethnomusicologist (his work on the music of Bali has yet to be truly surpassed IMO)

at any rate. I digress. no, Celine Dion has never been, and never will be, the greatest Canadian in Canadian history.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    They know her as a figure of fun. Someone to ridicule. A joke. They sing her songs because it's fun to be campy. That's what you're not getting. The Phillipines is the only place where anyone but old ladies take Celine seriously. You've latched onto some pop culture detritus and built it up as something grand. Frankly, that's beautiful. It's like a cargo cult built of old VH1 clips and dentist office muzak. But I hope you can understand why our reaction is different than what you expect
    And the great thing is Celine is fine with it and even invited one to be on her concert.

It's still nice to see people imitating you to make jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

I'm not the only Celine Dion fan here.

The celinedionforum.com is also one of the most active music artist forums.

And people go to Las Vegas to watch her show and her show has always been doing pretty well for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    My take is Deon was a mid level pop singer with a nice fan base and then got lucky being asked to sing the theme from what was, at the time, the biggest hit movie ever. I doubt her career would be as big as it was without Titanic.

Prolly, she won't be as big as she is without "Titanic" but she got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    LOL, "It's All Coming Back to Me Now!"

I'm not really big into Canadian history but... there's a LOT of people I would place ahead of Celine Dion for the greatest Canadian. I'd sooner pick Andrew McNaughton than Dion. or Thomas Ahearn (who invented the electric oven and electric car heaters, thank you). or Herbert Henry Dow of the Dow Chemical Corporation... heck, I'd put Colin McPhee ahead of Celine Dion for his work as a composer and ethnomusicologist (his work on the music of Bali has yet to be truly surpassed IMO)

at any rate. I digress. no, Celine Dion has never been, and never will be, the greatest Canadian in Canadian history.
    Never heard any of them though.
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 08-24-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    This has to be a joke. Celine Dion? Really?
    Really.

There is no Canadian most well known in the world than her, as sad as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Really.

William Shatner

Alanis Morrisette

Brian Adams

Jim Carrey

Donald Sutherland

Dan Ackroyd

Neil Young

Pamela Anderson

Michael J. Fox

all off the top of my head. . all world wide known.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

And none as famous as her worldwide.

And none as famous as her worldwide.
    oh, disagree.

in particular: Pamela Anderson (do you realize how many countries Baywatch plays in?), Neil Young, and Shatner.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Mighty Member

apparently "greatest" doesn't actually mean a person who helped change the world and make people's lives better-- it just means "famous pop singer".

hey, if you want to like Celine Dion that's fine.... but let me set the record straight! you have to know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth:

David Hassellhoff is better... because he's the greatest american of all time cuz he was on "Baywatch". there was nobody more widely known and more beloved than him. he has not, and can not, be surpassed. nothing Celine Dion has done can compare to the unstoppable power that is BAYWATCH! it's ab-tacular! it's the breast of the best! (oh, and Pamela Anderson is in there too-- Pamela and her many incomparable talents and peerless artistic vision)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    oh, disagree.

in particular: Pamela Anderson (do you realize how many countries Baywatch plays in?), Neil Young, and Shatner.
    Celine is still more popular than Pamela.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    apparently "greatest" doesn't actually mean a person who helped change the world and make people's lives better-- it just means "famous pop singer".

hey, if you want to like Celine Dion that's fine.... but let me set the record straight! you have to know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth:

David Hassellhoff is better... because he's the greatest american of all time cuz he was on "Baywatch". there was nobody more widely known and more beloved than him. he has not, and can not, be surpassed. nothing Celine Dion has done can compare to the unstoppable power that is BAYWATCH! it's ab-tacular! it's the breast of the best! (oh, and Pamela Anderson is in there too-- Pamela and her many incomparable talents and peerless artistic vision)
    There are more better than him.

Incredible Member

If we're talking Canadian musicians, I'd have to put Celine behind Feist! The criteria I'm using is that I personally think she sounds a million times better than Celine.

I think many of the other posters have covered other Canadians with actual accomplishments outside album sales, people of great accomplishments and skills.

If you argued for Celine appearing in a top 100 Canadians of the 20th century list, I could afford you some more leeway

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Really.

Justine Bieber. Even sadder to say.

He sure has more followers on Twitter.
    Celine has 374 thousand https://twitter.com/celinedion
    Bieber has 65 MILLION https://twitter.com/justinbieber

You can go with songs sold, Bieber's "Baby" is 12 times platinum over "My heart Will Go On" at most 2x platinum. You can go with how active the fandom is, Bieber wins. Any argument made for Celine works better for Bieber.

And he just keeps going, Celine hasn't had a hit in years.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 08-27-2015 at 05:15 AM.