Default Ant-Man #5 Discussion

This was a good issue/conclusion. Perfect cover. Character props for Lang feeling hypocritical for hating the revolving door of death. Smart way to explain him surviving the foot squash. Really enjoyed Scott's narrative even if I didn't agree with all his opinions. All characters do not have to make the right call all the time - this applies to heroes too. Scott is using messed up rationalization to think dumping his daughter at the end is best - but it makes for interesting character direction. The scene where Grizz and MM abandon Ant-Man was funny - and even a little ironic.

Scott was a hero this ish, between his believable defeat of Cross to his canon-friendly Fantastic Voyage to destroy white blood cells in Cassie's heart-rejecting body. Just as impressive, maybe moreso, was Dr. Sondheim's contribution and white lie.

Can somebody please explain the "Center for Ants"/"House of Cards" inside joke
    ANTMAN2015005-DC11-4c55e.jpg

Spectacular Member

Center for ants is a reference to Zoolander (it's a pretty popular meme now). Go watch the movie. It's pretty funny.

Pretty sure the House of Cards thing was just a reference to the show, as Lang must really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Fiegel View Post
    Center for ants is a reference to Zoolander (it's a pretty popular meme now). Go watch the movie. It's pretty funny.

Pretty sure the House of Cards thing was just a reference to the show, as Lang must really like it.
    Of course it's just a reference to the show, it's a very famous show after all.

I'm pretty sure Darren Cross can shrink now is totally a spark of genius on Spencer's part.

I'm really just hoping that they aren't using this as a means of depowering Cassie, especially since she lost her heart which produced Pym Particles to Cross. It'd be a real shame since she's a competent hero in her own right.

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post

I'm pretty sure Darren Cross can shrink now is totally a spark of genius on Spencer's part.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Fiegel View Post

Thanks.
    ants.jpg
    Last edited by Bookem Danno; 05-09-2015 at 05:34 AM. Reason: pic added

Astonishing Member

Finally got around to reading this issue.

This has been a very enjoyable first arc. I like that Spencer writes all the characters, good and bad as characters. I'm very interested to see where this book goes post-Secret Wars.

The "Center for Ants" joke is from Zoolander, where Zoolander mistakes a model of a building for a full sized building.

The House of Cards Joke is because the actor playing Darren Cross in the film was also in House of Cards.

I swear, the internet would be lost without me knowing these things.

Spectacular Member

Ant-Man is my favorite book right now. So, so good. The Zoolander reference was brilliant. I can't say enough good things about this book. Great first arc, the ending really tugged at my heart strings.

I was hoping they'd leave Secret Wars out of this book and let it run but it looks like they're just gonna stall and wait for it to end. Get this issue out just as it starts, Annual next month, yada yada.

I really hope they didn't depower Cassie...

I find it doubtful that they did depower her--Pym particles have never depended on the heart. And even then, it's not like it's impossible for her to ever get anymore.