Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Superman Chronicles.....Over??

Along with buying the latest Superman titles digitally I have also been collecting the Superman Chronicles but after Vol 10 there hasn't been a new book released in a couple years. Has DC cancelled this project? Is it on hold?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Good question. I was kind of wondering this myself. The Archives never got out of WW2. Even the Showcase volumes never really got passed the early sixties. It's almost like DC doesn't really want to publish anything other than the earlier golden and silver ages.

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

Given how long it's been since the last Chronicles volume, I assume that the line has reached it's end, though I would hope otherwise. Reading some of these Golden Age/Silver Age stories that the Chronicles offered was alot fun, as well as very affordable.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Well there was a long gap between the last couple volumes of the Byrne MOS collections...so there is hope. However,I guess it's more important to reissue THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN for the billionth time instead.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I guess it's more important to reissue THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN for the billionth time instead.
    Hahaha!!!

10 char

Retired

In order for the Chronicles to go forward, the Archives have to go forward. That's how it's been thusfar--since the Archives make it cheaper to do Chronicles.

But because the Archives go title by title, while the Chronicles go in chronological order across titles, there are certain comics that need to reprinted in the Archives first, before more Chronicles become possible. However, the Archives seem to be well enough ahead at this this point for a few more Chronicles to come out. I'm not sure what's the hold up.

There's always been this gulf where very few Superman stories have been reprinted because they're neither seen as the classic "Golden Age" or as the classic "Silver Age." Years ago, I labelled this period as the Lost Decade--the period between 1947 and 1958--and I did an incomplete list at that time of what stories had been reprinted. The theory being that the more a story is reprinted the more likely it will be reprinted again--as it becomes progressively cheaper to reprint reprints.

In the meantime, since I made the Lost Decade list, there have been many more reprints--so some of the Lost Decade has been filled in, but it still remains a period in Superman history that has been overlooked.

There hasn't been that much of Superman from between 1967 and 1986 that's been reprinted either. Certain specific stories get reprinted a lot, but much hasn't. I never gave that a lot of thought, because these issues seemed relatively recent and easy to obtain as back issues. But as the years go by, this period is also in danger of being overlooked.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Byrne's MOS volumes has inexplicably stopped and Superman Chronicles....really really frustrating and angering.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

There hasn't been that much of Superman from between 1967 and 1986 that's been reprinted either. Certain specific stories get reprinted a lot, but much hasn't. I never gave that a lot of thought, because these issues seemed relatively recent and easy to obtain as back issues. But as the years go by, this period is also in danger of being overlooked.
    I've paid between $7 and $13 each for some pretty raggedy copies, and I still don't have anything earlier than 1973.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I've paid between $7 and $13 each for some pretty raggedy copies, and I still don't have anything earlier than 1973.
    I bought most SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS issues new in the '70s. I've filled in my collection for those going back to 1963 with all of SUPERMAN and most of ACTION (those 80 Page Giant issues are hard to get)--there are a few issues I would like in better condition. Anything older than 1963 is harder to find and more expensive--although I've bought a few issues when I could get them relatively cheap. I missed a lof issues in the early '80s, but I recently bought all of SUPERMAN and ACTION from that period to fill in my collection--and most of those issues didn't cost much.

Next on my list is to fill in the holes I have for WORLD'S FINEST. Then I have to fill out my SUPERBOY, LOIS LANE and JIMMY OLSEN runs. With my main focus on the '60s. I would love to get a complete run of LOIS LANE, but those early Schaffenberger issues are not cheap. I have little hope of finding any Superman titles from the '50s or earlier that I can afford.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Same here. My oldest Supes vintage issue is from 1963...and i payed $13 dollars for it in 1995..and it's was in crappy shape then. I have a few issues in between that, but my collection starts in earnest around 1983, as those issues going forward are fairly easy to find and cheap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Good question. I was kind of wondering this myself. The Archives never got out of WW2. Even the Showcase volumes never really got passed the early sixties. It's almost like DC doesn't really want to publish anything other than the earlier golden and silver ages.
    They probably don't want people to see good Superman and realize what a mess the current version is.

Yeah, that conspiracy theory really stands up to scrutiny when right now they're actually publishing an older incarnation of Superman. Ye gads.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm hoping for more Golden Age Superman omnibus volumes. I think the first (and only one so far) is the equivalent of four Chronicles volumes, on better paper at a larger size. Having a book with every Superman story in order from June 1938 through December 1940 is pretty awesome. I'd seriously love an ongoing series in that format.

They already have the restored art for the Archives and Chronicles. Time to put out a second volume, DC!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I'm hoping for more Golden Age Superman omnibus volumes. I think the first (and only one so far) is the equivalent of four Chronicles volumes, on better paper at a larger size. Having a book with every Superman story in order from June 1938 through December 1940 is pretty awesome. I'd seriously love an ongoing series in that format.

They already have the restored art for the Archives and Chronicles. Time to put out a second volume, DC!
    Next spring seems like a good bet for the movie.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Byrne's MOS volumes has inexplicably stopped and Superman Chronicles....really really frustrating and angering.
    They'd only need 1 (maybe 2?) more volumes to wrap Byrne's official run, right? Now that they're to the point ACW had started, leaving only the two titles...

Ideally they'd continue with the Ordway/Stern/Jurgens stuff though.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES