Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Planet X... or 'Verse X?

Been wondering about this for a while, and the news of Secret Wars's impact on mutant-kind had me want to see if how proper fans might feel.

Marvel seems intent on excising the X-Men out of the main line of comics, as part of the ongoing separation with Fox. Secret Wars seems set to do this by literally kicking them off the planet as a result of Inhuman shenanigans, which seems a little on the nose to me personally. On one hand, the X-Men have a lot of ties to Cosmic Marvel, and this might be a good refresher for the concept and the characters to face. On the other hand, this completely wipes away the X-Men's standing principles and themes, of protecting a world that hates and fears them, of being the fearful minority, struggling to adapt and accept themselves, etc...

Personally, I always felt that the X-Men needed their own world, to remain to their core ideals and not look a little off-kilter when they're just doing their thing in the corner of a shared universe and looking odd when they interacted with stuff like Avengers or whatever, and just constantly getting pushed back into a corner. The school getting blown up, Genosha, Utopia, AvX, etc.... They just don't have enough room to spread their wings and act, constrained as they are by everything else in the MU.

So... dunno. Are you excited for the new planet concept? Do you just want their own universe, separate from the MCU stuff? Or do you think they should always be a part of a greater MCU?

BANNED

They don't need their own world. Marvel can just stop having their characters show up in x-men comics and vice versa.

Well, i would say that i prefer Planet X.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    They don't need their own world. Marvel can just stop having their characters show up in x-men comics and vice versa.
    I agree with this. My best memories and favorite storylines occurred when we barely, if ever, saw folk from the rest of the MU involved. They don't need to be in each other faces. Marvel keeps saying Secret Wars isn't a "reboot" and that everything will return after this summer, but I believe they should use this event to reset some things, such as returning the X-Men to more a pseudo- street level status. They don't have to be on the same level as the Avengers. Most of their best stories occurred as part of the Marvel underworld or off planet (briefly!), thanks to the Brood, Shi'ar, Phalanx and Phoenix Force. They don't need a whole planet to function. I'm sure they'll sell without Captain America, Thor and Spiderman intervening.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Incredible Member

@donpricetag & RLAAMJPR: If you guys are saying that they can just go back into their corner, what difference does that make from them having their own universe?

I'd say none of the above since having the X-Men interact with the MU around them is one of the things that I like about the shared universe. The problem is that the current writers seem so hell bent on making that interaction as antagonistic as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    @donpricetag & RLAAMJPR: If you guys are saying that they can just go back into their corner, what difference does that make from them having their own universe?
    There's a difference in being in your own universe and cutting back on outside intrusion. X-Men have always shared their universe but it didn't really become such a distraction until around House of M. Even during Onslaught an event I can argue that was even bigger than that, wasn't as intrusive. Having Avengers involved invalidates 90% of their threats. By all means there shouldn't be any Sentinels, FoH or Purifiers. Cyclops brought this issue up during AvX. It was written off or explained as the Avengers giving the X-Men respect...
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Can anyone actually point to a quote that really suggests the idea of another planet? I suspect this is a journalist misunderstanding the situation.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I suspect people have read the Axel in Charge interview that included this:

We'll wrap with solietaire, who's looking several months into the future to ask, "Can you give us any hints about what's to come for the X-Franchise beyond the summer?"

Alonso: The X-Men office is taking the opportunity of "Secret Wars" to build an entire new world for the characters -- to create a shared universe within the X-books that's set off by a huge event/incident/surprise. At that point, they're going to introduce a new team that feels unlike anything you've seen before. It'll be... "extraordinary."
    And decided that the "entire new world" means another planet instead of an alternative universe.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I suspect people have read the Axel in Charge interview that included this:

And decided that the "entire new world" means another planet instead of an alternative universe.
    I hope that's not the case. It'd damage my faith in humanity.
    Guild Member

I keep repeating this, and people either keep ignoring it or not paying any attention to it, but just because the X-Men might get their own planet doesn't mean there wont' be any "normal" humans on it...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They will probably end up on a new version of Counter Earth. Full of humans but no other real superbeings. If they are on a Coutner Earth then they could still interact with the regular Earth threw regular communication and brief crossover visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I keep repeating this, and people either keep ignoring it or not paying any attention to it, but just because the X-Men might get their own planet doesn't mean there wont' be any "normal" humans on it...
    But the X-Men genre isn't really space opera science fiction. Sure there have been many many moves in that direction but primarily it is social science fiction with a dramatic interpersonal focus. Moving it to a planet other than Earth fundamentally changes the premise.

On the other hand it is much the same as tucking them away in Australia.

If Marvel are trying to play chicken with Fox they might do something daft. I can't help thinking Marvel would loose this game because so far Fox are doing very well with their movies. As a big fan of the MCU I don't even want the X-Men back. And while the repurposing of the Inhumans works ok in the MCU it has been pretty uninspiring in the comics so far.

I completely agree MrHashasheen with your opinion on the core principle of the X-Books. Could they revisit this premise on a foreign planet that is already inhabited by a indigenous population, sure. It could work and possibly well. But why go that route? I feel this "reboot" is a way for Marvel to return the core books to what worked well. Avengers focused on global threats and xmen reverted to a smaller team with a more focused direction. At least this is my hope.

As for the conspiracy to sabotage Fox's movie universe, it doesn't make business sense. Fox has fifty years of stories to garner ideas from. Minimizing the Xmen and FF now is counter-productive. FF is not selling, and the X universe has not had the best writing direction since being more integrated into the MU. Those properties simply aren't priorities for Marvel right now; however, it is unlikely they want them to fail.

still don't see the problem with the X-Men getting their own planet. would you rather they keep having problems with SHIELD and The Avengers every other month?