Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on super-powered/non-ordinary-human opponents for Batman?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the likes of Clayface, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Doctor Phosphorus and others in the Batman mythos?

Do you like the variety they add? Do you think that Batman should be limited to fighting human opponents/ninjas/gangsters? Do you think he should have MORE super-powered/non-ordinary human opponents? Do you think he should have less?

Basically, something I'm curious about, since just about everywhere else on the web, people generally stick with the idea that Batman should fight other normals, because supers/abnormals throw the "groundedness/realism" of the stories out of whack.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Im okay with them. Their not that super powered. Mr. Freeze has an ice gun, and it not like Doctor Phosphorus is flying around like the human torch. Clayface is pushing it a little, and they can some time get a little overboard with Poison Ivy. Still i like her as a Bat villain.

Depends on how they are used, Bats vs Supes in Dark Knight Returns is a great example of how to do it but then you get somethings like Bats beating Solomon Grundy with a single punch.

BANNED

No, I like him going up against those super-powered foes. That's generally a major appeal of his character- a regular albeit well-trained and well-equipped man going against the odds.

Batman's been fighting the bizarre and the supernatural his entire character history, it's a big part of him.

Super-powers or the like going on his side or on the Batfamily is where I typically draw the line.

I like it when he's fighting more "street-level" super villains like all of those you mentioned. They're characters that aren't too powered up so it's not that far beyond belief that Batman might be able to take them on single-handed, especially if he knows that they're the ones he's going to have to go up against. However, I really don't like it when someone tries to face him off against one of those cosmic level enemies like Darkseid or something. It just doesn't work for me and really goes too far into the whole Bat-God territory for my tastes.
    Currently Reading: Lazarus, American Vampire, Wytches, Descender, Batman, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, High Crimes, Deadly Class, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, The Fade Out, Thor, Gotham Academy, Southern Bastards, Batgirl, All Star Section Eight, Injection, Howard the Duck, Weirdworld, Grayson, Midnighter, Prez, Hawkeye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BadWolf View Post
    I like it when he's fighting more "street-level" super villains like all of those you mentioned. They're characters that aren't too powered up so it's not that far beyond belief that Batman might be able to take them on single-handed, especially if he knows that they're the ones he's going to have to go up against. However, I really don't like it when someone tries to face him off against one of those cosmic level enemies like Darkseid or something. It just doesn't work for me and really goes too far into the whole Bat-God territory for my tastes.
    He's a superhero. There's supposed to be some difficulty in doing what he does. There's a difference between complaining about him being overpowered, and then taking that to a ridiculous level where the only foe he is allowed to face are regular dudes with guns- I mean, is that too unfeasible? Should they not have guns either?

It depends on the book.

In his own books I'm happy for him to go up against villains like Poison Ivy and Clayface, but no more powerful than them.

In JLA and other superhero books I'm more than happy for him to take on Darkseid, The Shaggy Man or The Anti-Monitor if the writer can make it work.

I like the Super-powered Bat-rogues, just as much as I like the street level villains, but it really does depend on the story.

I like him fighting villains with powers. It adds variety and it cements him in the overall DC Universe, which I like.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

I like regular super villains like Joker, Two-Face, Riddler, etc. We already have a ton of superheroes with super powered villains. Batman is an exception and this makes him stand out. I don't mind villains like Mr Freeze though. His gun is far fetched but he still seems "mostly" realistic.

I like the variety they bring. Batman will always be known mainly for fighting psychopaths of a more street level variety, but the occasional clash against a metahuman is fun to read when done well. Batman should beating them by outsmarting them and being over prepared.

Incredible Member

If I want cunning, I read Batman.

If I want Super Powers, I read Marvel.

Interesting responses. I actually expected more to be for "grounded" Batman, so this is quite a change.

My personal take - I like Batsy fighting supers. Hell, I actually think Bat-writers should add a few more uniquely-powered foes to his line-up. Vastly more preferable to yet another gun-toting gangster in a funny suit. Heck, I've been thinking that Maxie Zeus should get electric super-powers for years.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

I like it...as long as it's handled nicely, I am fine with it.

I hate Bat God (fortunately, we haven't had that in the new 52, not yet at least) and giving Batman Superman (or JL) level villains might be a bit too much.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Well Batman already deals with some superhuman villains. The only overtly superhuman villain he faces has been solomon grundy sometimes.