Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Your creative team for "Iron Man"?

With Keiron Gillen leaving the series as of #28 (and Original Sin #3.4), which writers/artists/editors would you like to see working on the ongoing series of the Armored Avenger?

Warren Ellis and Mark Waid have recently dropped titles, so I wouldn't mind seeing either of them writing it.

Charles Soule is a writing machine, who I wouldn't mind taking over, either.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

My top three choices, in order: Kelly Sue DeConnick, Kathryn Immonen, Marjorie Liu.

I genuinely think Marvel should groom KSD for bigger things. Taking on the solo title for one of the Avengers top three would go a long way towards that. We've seen the Tony Stark she writes - smart, funny, a bit sassy.

Kathryn Immonen's another writer who can do smart and funny very well.

Another reason I'd love to see one of those women on Iron Man: How often, these days, do female writers do non-female books? They may occasionally get tertiary team books where they can focus on men. But for solo books? They're always given female characters. Always. I think the last time Marvel let a woman write a male solo was Gail Simone's Deadpool/Agent X run. Which was over 10 years ago. (I could be wrong about that, in which case, sorry about my mistake.)

It's going to be hard for female writers to get much mainstream attention when they're pigeon-holed like that. So getting a woman on one of Marvel's major male characters would help to break that wall back down. (And it's worth noting that this is a pretty recent development. Jo Duffy did Power Man and Iron Fist, Ann Nocenti wrote Daredevil, Gail Simone wrote Deadpool.) It would send the message that Marvel is willing to let any writer do any story, as long as it's interesting, with any character, and that, just as you don't need to be a woman to write a woman, you don't need to be a man to write a man. It would say that Marvel is genuinely interested in giving female writers the same opportunities as male writers, and not just sticking them on tertiary titles that are never expected to sell well.

So, yeah. KSD, Immonen or Liu.

And if one of them is writing, then the ideal artist would be not Greg Land, off the bat. The ideal artist would depend on the mood and themes of the story being told. If the focus is on fun, get a fun artist. If the focus is one sci-fi, get an artist with a strong sci-fi aesthetic. If it's a darker, espionage-style story, get an artist who can do that.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Ellis came to mind instantly. But I agree that KSD and Waid could also write a great Iron Man. How about Rucka? Love his Cyclops so far, he showed he can do great sci-fi so I would like to see his Tony Stark take. Maybe Hickman since he's quiting the Avengers
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Waid would be cool.

Astonishing Member

How is Ales Kot's Iron Patriot coming along? He may not be a bad choice.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    How is Ales Kot's Iron Patriot coming along? He may not be a bad choice.
    Haven't read it but from what I heard it's very mediocre. Not better than Gillen's Iron man
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Always. I think the last time Marvel let a woman write a male solo was Gail Simone's Deadpool/Agent X run. Which was over 10 years ago. (I could be wrong about that, in which case, sorry about my mistake.)
    You mentioned Marjorie Liu but forgot she had a run on Daken/Dark Wolverine?
    BB

Chris Yost is already writing two books. Would a third be too much with the stuff he's doing for the films now?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    You mentioned Marjorie Liu but forgot she had a run on Daken/Dark Wolverine?
    Crap, I did forget. I sit corrected. I guess it's because I found her Dark Wolverine/Daken run to be so bland and mediocre. I wasn't impressed at all.

I stand by my larger point, though, that letting women write big-name male character solos would be a great way of showing that Marvel is serious about improving the treatment of women. They've been doing a very good job when it comes to representation of female characters. But now it's time they put female writers on something other than tertiary titles. Put them on characters who are in the movies, the ones everyone knows. Starting with Iron Man.

Besides, considering Iron Man's reputation as a womanizer, how cool would it be to see a woman writing him?

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

I have some choices.

Peter David, James Robinson, Neil Gaiman, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Josh Whedon, Gail Simone or Al Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    I have some choices.

Peter David, James Robinson, Neil Gaiman, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Josh Whedon, Gail Simone or Al Ewing.
    Oh, wow! In a perfect world!!

But I also love the idea of Kelly Sue DeConnick writing Iron Man. That could be a lot of fun to read.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How about a back to the future theme with David Michelinie and Bob Layton? I'm sure they still have great Iron Man stories to tell. Beyond Stan Lee, Warren Ellis and Matt Fraction, no one else wrote Shellhead better than Dave and Bob.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    How about a back to the future theme with David Michelinie and Bob Layton? I'm sure they still have great Iron Man stories to tell. Beyond Stan Lee, Warren Ellis and Matt Fraction, no one else wrote Shellhead better than Dave and Bob.
    You would place them after Ellis and Fracton? Come on man. They created Rhodey, Blizzard, and Justin Hammer for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    You would place them after Ellis and Fracton? Come on man. They created Rhodey, Blizzard, and Justin Hammer for crying out loud.
    I think he's saying everyone else is after Dave and Bob.
    My fan fiction:

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    I think he's saying everyone else is after Dave and Bob.
    I hope so.