Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Starling, Katana, and Poison Ivy where the highlights of the early birds of prey issues. It was just black canary who was off, although i did like her upgrade in powers.

Bitchy Canary FTW.

I loved Annie Wu's work on Hawkeye Quarterly, and it'll be good to seei her stuff again in a book that comes out on a more regular schedule.

And while the rock singer aspect of the new Canary title comes out of left field, it also makes a certain sense. Dinah has a voice-based power. If she isn't tone deaf, why shouldn't she be a pretty decent singer as a result? The events of Batgirl left her homeless and rootless, so it's the perfect time to experiment with doing something new.

I'm looking forward to it.

Astonishing Member

I think I was more interested before I heard about the rock band angle, but we'll see how it shakes out.

I am looking forward to reading Black Canary.
    Long time fan, who also enjoys the current Batgirl very much.

Mighty Member

Black Canary is long overdue for a solo, but the idea of her being in a band doesn't sound that appealing to me. They're also sticking with the weird mishmash of Dinah Drake and Dinah Lance which I understand but is a little disappointing too. I did see it described as a female version of Hard Travelling Heroes which does pique my interest a bit more, though.

I really have enjoyed Fletcher's work on Batgirl & Gotham Academy and I like Wu's art a lot so I'll still check it out.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am a little unsure of the singer/band aspect of the book myself and Annie Wu isn't on my list of choice artists either. BUT I am willing to give the book a chance especially if it leaves this husband garbage far far behind on another earth. Im skeptical but hopeful. I've enjoyed Batgirl far more than I did Gail's run (surprising as her BoP is one of my all time favorite runs) and Gotham Academy is a first read for me. So I'm willing to give them a chance.

Meh, I'll pass. Doesn't look good at all in my opinion.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Considering Dinah is my second favorite DC heroine after WW, it pains me to skip this book. It may very well set tumblr, Twitter, Facebook (and all the other social media/apps I despise) on fire, but it's not what I want in a BC ongoing.

This, however, doesn't mean I must want something overly dark or grim & gritty. I think writers like Dixon and Simone got it right - Dinah Lance as a mature woman who's been through some serious sh!t, but still remains a strong, positive leader.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't expect much besides DC covering her up like a teenage girl in 1998 Kabul.

If you are a huge Black Canary fan like you say I would give it an arc and decide if it's your cup of tea. That's my plan. I loved the revamped Batgirl series but I didn't like BC in it though I love her in BoP and pre New Fifty Two. So I will give it an arc, three to six, issues. Hard to tell from one when the writer is finding his footing. End the end read what you like. I enjoy dark and light stories. They just need writers who can strike a balance. She was awfully dark in BoP, but I really enjoyed it and hope I like this just like I enjoyed Simone's batgirl and the revamp

I liked the new team on Batgirl at first, but by the end of the storyline I didn't care anymore and the ending was pretty weak.

So my interest in this book is pretty low, but since I dropped all of my main universe DC titles except one, I will be checking them all out on the rack. So far, the 8 page preview stories have confirmed my decision to drop almost everything to be a good one, but I will always be open to just about anything. We'll see.

So you guys think the new Black Canary series will divide the community the same way the Batgirl makeover did?

I really hope this series doesn't turn her from an adult, experienced woman who has gone through some serious stuff into some kind of hip teenager who just wants to have fun and go partying and all that stuff.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    So you guys think the new Black Canary series will divide the community the same way the Batgirl makeover did?

I really hope this series doesn't turn her from an adult, experienced woman who has gone through some serious stuff into some kind of hip teenager who just wants to have fun and go partying and all that stuff.
    Pretty much everything DC does has some small core group get upset about it. Nothing they do ever pleases everybody.

However, I think the overall plan for the new52 has been to give the characters some youth, returning them to mid-20's. Which is what they did with Batgirl, so not sure why you think they'd make BC a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

They didn't make Batgirl a teenager. So I don't see why anyone would fear that they would do that to Black Canary.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.