Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Your opinion and expectations on the new Black Canary series?

Hi guys.
    I made a thread a while ago where I asked what went wrong with the last Birds of Prey series and Black Canary. Was an interesting discussion going on where the the consensus was that the writer and cast change killed the book.

Now Im not really a DC reader. I read a few Marvel comics and a few ones from the smaller companies but nothing really from DC so don't really know what's going on at all. But I think that's OK. Im not really a fan of companies, brands or teams but of characters and Black Canary was always a character that I just liked. Along with Cassandra Cain but we all know how that went so let's not go there.

Anyway I recently googled and stumbled on the news that a new Black Canary series will be released in June. I was really excited about it until I saw in which direction this seems to be going.
    First Im really fan of the more "realistic" looking art and Annie Wus art is definitely the exact opposite of that. Also I haven't read Batgirl and don't plan on doing that but I do know that Black Canary was part of it which brings me to the second point.
    Music? A band? Concerts? Really?

Those are definitely not things I have in mind when I think about Black Canary.

I think I will get the first issue anyway to see if it really is something for me or not. Which is kinda sad since it's a Black Canary solo. A character that I normally really like.

Discuss
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

The problem with BoP was the same that went wrong with Batgirl, it was too angsty and trying too hard to be serious, gritty and dark.

Now Batgirl with the new team has been a blast, it's youthful and energetic while the previous team was apparently mandated to make it like Frank Miller's Batman.
    As for BC's setting, it's a different approach, I admit. But considering the BoP disbanded, the up and down gabage about her dead/undead husband... a clean(ish) slate and a new approach was needed, since Dinah as a super-spy has been the story for a very long time now, and wasn't drawing readers.

I'll be reading the first issue and see if it's worth continuing with.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

The new Batgirl creative team went from making Batgirl a book I'd abandoned over a year ago, to one of my favorite books out of every month. It's fun, upbeat, and a joy to read.

The Black Canary book is, very likely, going to be much the same way. No more Dinah boo-hooing about her husband (who never loved her, anyway.) No more angst and rage for no reason. It's about Black Canary finding a new lease on life and a new family to protect. Plus? Sonic screams and lots of martial arts action. What more could I want?

The new Black Canary book represents a (I hope) growing movement to make comics fun and entertaining again, instead of uber-violent and depressing. Comics have almost exclusively catered to the "grim and gritty" fans for far too long. I, for one, am more than ready for some fun in my books.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think Birds of Prey went wrong with the oddballs they threw into the group with the New 52. Starling, Poison Ivy, and Condor were unfitting puzzle pieces for the group. Starling seemed very run of the mill and it never seemed right that Black Canary would trust having Poison Ivy on the team. They should have kept the team of Black Canary and Batgirl with just some occasional female guest-stars like Vixen, Black Orchid, or Dr. Kimiyo Light.

I hope the new Black Canary book isn't too campy or focused on her rock band. I'm glad to see her back in a more attractive costume so that's a plus as he previous BoP costume was a big factor in driving me away from that book. She looked like a robot from the neck down.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The new Black Canary book represents a (I hope) growing movement to make comics fun and entertaining again, instead of uber-violent and depressing. Comics have almost exclusively catered to the "grim and gritty" fans for far too long. I, for one, am more than ready for some fun in my books.
    Now that is something that I can understand. I can't agree with it but I can understand it.
    But that's because Im someone who enjoys grim settings and stories. The Dark Knight movie trilogy is the perfect example of such a type of story done perfectly and enjoyable.
    While I do like that stuff I have nothing against a "fun" approach. I just think there should be a balance if you go for it.
    The current Robyn Hood ongoing is the perfect example of that. Sure Robyn Hood is the legendary archer that fights evil people and forces but she also is just not a serious person. She is cracking jokes all the time, makes fun of villains, etc.
    Dinah doesn't really has the same personality though that's why Im a bit skeptical.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think Birds of Prey went wrong with the oddballs they threw into the group with the New 52. Starling, Poison Ivy, and Condor were unfitting puzzle pieces for the group. Starling seemed very run of the mill and it never seemed right that Black Canary would trust having Poison Ivy on the team. They should have kept the team of Black Canary and Batgirl with just some occasional female guest-stars like Vixen, Black Orchid, or Dr. Kimiyo Light.
    It's odd because Starling appeared to be the most well liked aspect of the book... right untill the whole thing with Mr. Freeze came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Now that is something that I can understand. I can't agree with it but I can understand it.
    But that's because Im someone who enjoys grim settings and stories. The Dark Knight movie trilogy is the perfect example of such a type of story done perfectly and enjoyable.
    While I do like that stuff I have nothing against a "fun" approach. I just think there should be a balance if you go for it.
    The current Robyn Hood ongoing is the perfect example of that. Sure Robyn Hood is the legendary archer that fights evil people and forces but she also is just not a serious person. She is cracking jokes all the time, makes fun of villains, etc.
    Dinah doesn't really has the same personality though that's why Im a bit skeptical.
    Actually having a sense of humour is one of Dinah's most defining traits. It wasn't seen in the new BoP but it's been seen in other stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually having a sense of humour is one of Dinah's most defining traits. It wasn't seen in the new BoP but it's been seen in other stories.
    Oh I wasn't saying that she doesn't have any humor at all. Just that she isn't such a joker like Robyn Hood is who always has quippy remark no matter what the situation is and how serious it is.

Always Rakzo

Sounds great and will most likely LOOK great.

What's not to love?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Rock band direction had me stretching my head too. If it can capture the same feel of the Zatanna ongoing from pre-Flashpoint I'll give it a chance.

Astonishing Member

I'm hugely excited about Annie Wu. Her work on Hawkeye got progressively more brilliant, until - by the end - I was looking forward to her almost as much as Aja.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    It's odd because Starling appeared to be the most well liked aspect of the book... right untill the whole thing with Mr. Freeze came out of nowhere.
    That's because the new writer had no attachment to the character.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Having characters do different things, things u wouldn't necessarily think they'd do, is a good thing. Keeps them interesting and fresh. Sure it could fall flat on its face, but its still better to try. Im super excited about the new BC series. I always liked BC, and while different i really enjoyed the take on her in Batgirl. Had me cracking up, i enjoyed seeing her with this new edge. Plus she was a bombshell .
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-12-2015 at 10:13 AM.

The only thing I expect from the new series is for it to be great.

I would like to see some guest stars. Especially if they'll be touring.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

The whole rock band thing completely turns me off.