Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Convergence vs secret wars: What do Marvel fans think?

This was posted in the DC section of the Forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    So there are obvious similarities between the two.

But In my opinion (and dc bias) convergence seems much better.

When did marvel get a multi verse? It seems a big rip off of dc. Dc has always had a good solid multiverse.

What's your thoughts? Similarities? Differences?
    http://community.comicbookresources....vs-secret-wars

So, what do Marvel fans think? And how would you compare the development of a multiverse at Marvel to what DC had done with one in its past?

Why is there always a versus? Both stole gazillion ideas from eachother. In the end, one wouldn't be a succes without the other. I'm tired of internet fanboys mocking the other company, just enjoy what you prefer and let others do the same. I have high hopes for both events.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Secret Wars seems like a game changer than has been planned at least since Hickman was given reigns to Avengers/New Avengers and likely before that... aka years and years. and it is being written by one of the biggest writers at Marvel

Convergence seems to be just another "DC changing continuity" written by secondary writer as DC movies across the country. It doesn't even feature the earth 1 heavily does it? Isn't it Earth 2 characters?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

There is a DC section of the forum?

I kid.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

So, what do Marvel fans think? And how would you compare the development of a multiverse at Marvel to what DC had done with one in its past?
    I can't comment on the quality of Convergence because I stopped reading DCU books about a year or so ago. If Convergence is in line quality wise with the bulk of DC's books, then my guess is that I would not like it. But that's opinion, so it will vary from reader to reader.

But Marvel having a multiverse dates back many years. And the concept of a multiverse is not something that DC created, so to say that it's a ripoff is a stretch. Not unless you're also willing to say the same about DC's multiverse.

Alternate versions of characters, and characters from other dimensions, and alternate Earths and all of that are pretty much staples of science fiction and the superhero genre in particular. I think we just need to accept that and not accuse one company of copying the other.

Instead, we should compare the events based on their quality, and it's probably way too soon to do that effectively.

Extraordinary Member

I've never cared for Marvel's 'multiverse'. Possible future timelines was always a cool thing in the X-Men comics, and even What If's and Exiles presenting alternate present timelines was cool, but the recent (going back quite a few years still) use of seemingly well defined 'universes' never worked for me considering they were generally represented as divergent timelines and never seemed like something that could be tracked since each of those would just split off again at some point but at the same time must have shared a timeline in the past.

BANNED

Yeah, the story that's been building up for 5 years or so is totally the rip-off. Marvel fans are nuts, but sometimes the DC fanboys are so, so much worse, thinking their comics are superior and deal with "mature" themes. Give me a break. As for the event itself, I tried it and I found it mediocre at best. Poor attempts at nostalgia and yet another "universes are colliding" type of story. Secret Wars is much, MUCH better.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Yeah, the story that's been building up for 5 years or so is totally the rip-off. Marvel fans are nuts, but sometimes the DC fanboys are so, so much worse, thinking their comics are superior and deal with "mature" themes. Give me a break. As for the event itself, I tried it and I found it mediocre at best. Poor attempts at nostalgia and yet another "universes are colliding" type of story. Secret Wars is much, MUCH better.
    QFT. And I can't see how they can claim only DC has a multiverse. It's not something that Marvel just made up overnight for Secret Wars. I don't know when they started doing it but most of them come from a process started in the old Marvel Handbooks where a What If story was assigned a multiverse number. Probably the most developed one was Spider Girl's MC2 since that ran for 100 issues. Even though originally Marvel marketed the 2099 books as the true path of Marvel continuity it is now considered one of the multiverses IIRC.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-12-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I haven't read convergence, and honestly I'm not interested in doing so. To me it sort of came off as filler while they're moving from coast to coast.

I do think the idea of marvel not having a multiverse is pretty flawed. They've always had one. DC destroyed theirs with the Crisis, and only officially brought it back recently (though the hypertime stuff was essentially a multiverse).

Speaking as someone who hasn't read either (yet), Convergence seems like more fun, but it also seems less significant.

As far as the multiverse thing goes, DC had additional earths first, going back to the classic "Flash of Two Worlds," but I think Marvel had the idea of infinite alternate realities first, in What If (if not earlier -- I'd swear Roy Thomas did something with the idea very early on, but I can't pin it down). Honestly, I don't think the multiple worlds stuff is really attributable to the companies themselves, so much as the preoccupations of the writers and editors who loved that kind of metaphysical noodling. Gardner Fox, Roy, Mark Gruenwald, etc.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 05-12-2015 at 08:33 AM.

I think Marvel first introduced an alternative reality Avengers team in an Avengers Annual, with both teams facing off on the cover. It could have been Avengers Annual #2. Certainly by Avengers #70 the Squadron Sinister appeared, from an Alternate Reality.
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-12-2015 at 08:32 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    QFT. And I can't see how they can claim only DC has a multiverse. It's not something that Marvel just made up overnight for Secret Wars. I don't know when they started doing it but most of them come from a process started in the old Marvel Handbooks where a What If story was assigned a multiverse number. Probably the most developed one was Spider Girl's MC2 since that ran for 100 issues. Even though originally Marvel marketed the 2099 books as the true path of Marvel continuity it is now considered one of the multiverses IIRC.
    But..but...Marvel only COPIES stuff! And their stories aren't dark and edgy and mature! How can Marvel come up with something original? Hickman obviously travelled to 2015, stole the idea of Convergence and then started planting the seeds for SW in 2009. I swear, these "young" DC fans...... I mean, if this: "I haven't read it because it's too difficult to understand, but DC is obviously superior because they are older" is your whole opinion on the subject maybe you shouldn't post at all..... The "old guys" know what they're talking about, but these 12-15 year olds just try to appear edgier and more sophisticated.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Well, so far, I've found the writing in Convergence to be abysmal.

The writing getting us to Secret Wars has been better, but I wasn't impressed with the first issue.

I find it bizarre that there are people who don't know Marvel has had a multiverse for 50 years.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Don't really care about the main stories of either, but some of the tie-ins for both have me interested.

Honestly I have no real opinion of Convergence, nor any real interest in it so far. I'm sure it's a good story or one that people enjoy.

But to be honest, it doesn't look like it's going to change much according to solicitations which looks to have a few big changes but mostly looks like things start back up where they ended. However, who knows it may end well enough that I'll pick up the trade.

So yeah I guess I'm on the Secret Wars side of things
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.