Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Archie Comics Publisher Responds to Kickstarter Criticism

Archie Comics CEO and Publisher Jon Goldwater spoke with CBR News to address criticism over the company's Kickstarter campaign to fund three new series.

Full article here.

I wish them the best of luck.
    Not everybody has the funds to get the Geoff Johns, Jim Lees or Brian Bendises on their books.

This is the best alternative.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I wish them the best of luck.
    Not everybody has the funds to get the Geoff Johns, Jim Lees or Brian Bendises on their books.

This is the best alternative.
    I have no idea what the financial shape of the company is, but I would think people could either just choose to back the Kickstarter or not without getting so nasty. Then again, nothing like a little controversy to generate some entertainment until #NCBD tomorrow.

Amazing Member

I had to read that twice. I think the general understanding is that Archie Comics is doing the Kick starter to fast track a line of comics that will be sold in Walmart/Target.

What he said here was that the traditional books are the ones going to Walmart/Target and these books are still conceived as direct market only.

That means that the Kickstarter is producing more/faster direct market only product than retail shops would otherwise have. Sounds like an easy win for retailers, given that customers won't be able to get issues 2-6 through KS and most backers probably won't be shelling out the $10+ per issue for a complete set...

So far as the pricing of the backer rewards, there's also a $20 digital reward tier for all four reboot comics, which is a lot closer to what could be expected as a cover price.

I'm not sold yet, but I am curious and have a reminder set. I do think they might have gotten better reaction from the public if they'd gone for a more modest goal for their first Kickstarter, though. Maybe $150K to back the first 2 or 3 issues instead of more than a quarter of a million for the first 6, for example.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-12-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm surprised people out there still consider Archie relevant enough to get their panties in a bunch over the company's kickstarter plans. I have no problem with it myself, hey, more power to them.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The company elements being referred to is probably the financial relationship between Goldwater and Nancy Silberkleit, who are descendants of two of the original publishers. Archie went public in the 70s, but was taken back private by Michael Silberkleit and Richard Goldwater. Jonathan Goldwater and Nancy Silberkleit become co-Ceos in 2009; but, the two have had an acrimonius relationship, with lawsuits and counter-suits. I suspect that the Kickstarter campaign is designed to be a work around for the bad relationship. I also wouldn't be surprised if the profits of the company have been bled out of the company, over the decades. Total supposition, on my part, but it certainly fits the story.

I posted something along the lines of this yesterday in another thread that this seemed odd that they were doing this
    (almost like they didn't have enough faith in this yet tu publish and see how sales go). But, other people pointed out Reading Rainbow, etc... have used this platform too
    so--fair enough.... But, I still think it's an odd move though lol

I get somebody donating to some individual creator owned series on Kickstarter, but funding a proper comic company's stuff seems really odd to me.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Incredible Member

I have two concerns:

The lesser concern is that they are not offering enough rewards for backing the company. This was addressed by Archie in this interview, but not satisfactorily. I may still back the program, but only when they fall off the pace they need for the project to be funded (which will happen soon) and decide to up the bounty for donating.

The bigger concern is that what Archie is really asking us to fund is their shelf space at Walmart and Target. Archie has said they had the funds to be able to do all of these books without needing funding from fans until they decided to buy shelf space at Walmart. Instead of doing the books, Archie bought shelf space. Now they are asking fans to pay Archie to do the books. Why didn't they choose to use the money they had to do the books and run a kickstarter for shelf space at Walmart? Because they knew no one would give them money for the shelf space.

I am not fooled and will not give them money so they can sell books at Walmart (unless of course I were to be promised a portion of the profits from that venture).

Amazing Member

Somewhat off-topic, but I can't resist: Anybody up for starting a Kickstarter campaign to buy DC Comics from Time Warner and put grown-ups in charge again? ;-)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I have two concerns:

The lesser concern is that they are not offering enough rewards for backing the company. This was addressed by Archie in this interview, but not satisfactorily. I may still back the program, but only when they fall off the pace they need for the project to be funded (which will happen soon) and decide to up the bounty for donating.

The bigger concern is that what Archie is really asking us to fund is their shelf space at Walmart and Target. Archie has said they had the funds to be able to do all of these books without needing funding from fans until they decided to buy shelf space at Walmart. Instead of doing the books, Archie bought shelf space. Now they are asking fans to pay Archie to do the books. Why didn't they choose to use the money they had to do the books and run a kickstarter for shelf space at Walmart? Because they knew no one would give them money for the shelf space.

I am not fooled and will not give them money so they can sell books at Walmart (unless of course I were to be promised a portion of the profits from that venture).
    They don't need your money to sell through Walmart. They're going to do that no matter what. They need your money (not yours specifically) to make more direct market books.

There's zero chance I will support this Kickstarter, but I don't begrudge them trying to expand their footprint in the direct market, and I'm confused that retailers would prefer that they put out fewer books direct to comic shops.

Incredible Member

Personally, I'm not entirely comfortable with them crowdfunding, but I don't think it calls for any nasty remarks.

Well, not like it matters; the campaign is dead in the water, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    I get somebody donating to some individual creator owned series on Kickstarter, but funding a proper comic company's stuff seems really odd to me.
    If it was DC or Marvel.

Archie doesn't have the resources that Warner Brothers and Disney can pump into their comic divisions.

To me, what it seems that they're doing is trying to make it over the hurdle of paying for the talent that DC and Marvel generally have no problem getting access to.
    And keeping that talent happy so that there will be no delays or creative changes.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

All-New Member

Publisher explanations aside, it doesn't provide a lot of faith in the company's financial position if they need to kickstarter this. Archie is one of the most recognizable-if not iconic-characters in comics history. Top talent is involved. A savvy publisher should be able to secure investors for a project like this without resorting to crowd funding.