Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I was going to start a new thread...but I think I will just post this here instead. Discuss.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...s-convergence/

Quote from the article:

But, while sales may not have been as high as some might have liked in store, I understand that many of the titles have had a significant digital bump. Rather than a nostalgic kick for old comic book fans, they have been picked up, tumblrd, tweeted and shared by a newer, younger audience.

Apparently the current overstylised grimdark comics might not be what the “youth” wants after all. And as DC Comics begins to revamp their line with a rejection of house style in favour of a diversity of styles, characters and creators, so it seems those Convergence worlds will stick around.
    I think Dataweaver may have been closer to the truth of what CONVERGENCE ultimately means for DC than others want to give him credit for.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-14-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    The truth is, there are definitive and ICONIC versions of the DC characters that have stood the test of decades because of their mythological qualities and stories. These New 52 iterations, while possessing some of those traits, are not the ICONIC versions and will not last much longer.
    God, I hope you're right. But you're probably wrong. DC is too proud & stubborn to admit they've failed creatively (with everything but Snyder's Batman & a couple others). The New 52 was Dan's dream and he'll never let it die....Wally's demise, the ruined histories and characters and origins, and etc won't change that.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-14-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    God, I hope you're right. But you're probably wrong. DC is too proud & stubborn to admit they've failed creatively (with everything but Snyder's Batman & a couple others). The New 52 was Dan's dream and he'll never let it die....Wally's demise, the ruined histories and characters and origins, and etc won't change that.
    Sadly, you're right. I believe that the only true change at DC will come when DiDio and the rest are gone.

I miss Paul Levitz terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Quote from the article:
    But, while sales may not have been as high as some might have liked in store, I understand that many of the titles have had a significant digital bump. Rather than a nostalgic kick for old comic book fans, they have been picked up, tumblrd, tweeted and shared by a newer, younger audience.

Apparently the current overstylised grimdark comics might not be what the “youth” wants after all. And as DC Comics begins to revamp their line with a rejection of house style in favour of a diversity of styles, characters and creators, so it seems those Convergence worlds will stick around..
    Good news indeed. Fingers crossed.

Just a reminder: Stay on topic, don't talk about each other.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    Unless my math is off, wouldn't this Multiverse model result in 53 Earths? I thought DC was still bull-headed on sticking with 52 Earths only.
    Yeah, that's why I feel the "real" Infinite Multiverse needs to return.... that obsession Didio has with the number 52 is just stupid and limiting....

Spectacular Member

Last month in a Convergence Twitter chat with Jeff King the LAST question asked if ALL beloved DC characters and realities can at least continue POST-Convergence in a monthly anthology comic book. King replied "They CAN and they WILL!" The chat went almost an hour past schedule so King must have been waiting for a question like that to end on.

I am enjoying ALL 40 Convergence minis and they are having satisfying endings so far! The MAIN Convergence series finally picked up with #6! 2 weeks to go! Cannot wait for #8!

After all Di Dio said himself in an interview months ago that Convergence will leave everything OPEN!

New 52 Earth 0 is not the only earth in DC Multiverse!

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Yeah, that's why I feel the "real" Infinite Multiverse needs to return.... that obsession Didio has with the number 52 is just stupid and limiting....
    At least as of The Multiversity, it's not a concern, though. The Fifty-Two realities are just the "local" Multiverse,not everything.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    At least as of The Multiversity, it's not a concern, though. The Fifty-Two realities are just the "local" Multiverse,not everything.
    I mentioned that in another thread, suggesting it implied the existence of the wider non-DC Omniverse (rather than the previous DC Multiverses)...

Don't get me wrong, I want the Pre-Crisis Infinite Multiverse back (with room for the New52 and all the great post-Crisis Elsewords/alternate-timelines) as much as anyone...but I don't want to get those hopes up too high in case Convergence #8 turns out to be a total bummer where this whole topic is concerned

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArachKing05 View Post
    I mentioned that in another thread, suggesting it implied the existence of the wider non-DC Omniverse (rather than the previous DC Multiverses)...

Don't get me wrong, I want the Pre-Crisis Infinite Multiverse back (with room for the New52 and all the great post-Crisis Elsewords/alternate-timelines) as much as anyone...but I don't want to get those hopes up too high in case Convergence #8 turns out to be a total bummer where this whole topic is concerned
    I try to take the long, optimistic view that there's nothing that can't be fixed or returned eventually.

Where there's will, there's a way. And where there's Molly Mayne, there's a will. Girls who hit people with lutes and wear pointed hats don't just get wiped out forever.

And, it seems like the bulk of the people on Convergence aren't tragedy-is-the-highest-form types.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I try to take the long, optimistic view that there's nothing that can't be fixed or returned eventually.

Where there's will, there's a way. And where there's Molly Mayne, there's a will. Girls who hit people with lutes and wear pointed hats don't just get wiped out forever.

And, it seems like the bulk of the people on Convergence aren't tragedy-is-the-highest-form types.
    I agree. There's absolutely nothing that can make the previous universes go away permanently. The only thing that matters is the intent of the current editors/writers.