Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blue Beetle Jaime Reyes Appriciation Thread

Can we have an appriciation thread for Jaime? He's probably my favorite "legacy" character other than Wally West. I just read his solo series up to 29 and what really struck me was the relations with sidecharacters, like Paco or Peacemaker. The book has a lot of heart, which isn't always found in cape comics. I really like how Jaime is a minority, but it doesn't feel like pandering or forced. The scarab just happened to land in El Paso

So, thoughts?

Rules
    ------
    1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Jaime, but hate the DCAU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

Pretty sure there's already a Jaime thread.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Pretty sure there's already a Jaime thread.
    I only found a Ted BB thread.

My bad, I was talking about the general blue beetle thread.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

Jaime is one of my favorite characters. Well actaully Giffen and Rogers' Jaime Reyes was one of my favorite characters. He was witty and self deprecating. Very much a Giffen character. Not a fan of Bedard's terrible run or the fact that they made cartoon Jaime on Young Justice speak like a 1980s Mexican stereotype. "Ay dios mio hermano!" Sigh.

I really hope DC doesn't keep him shelved for long. He may not be able to carry his own solo title but he's too awesome of a character not to at least be in a team book.

Love jaime!

Rant: Wish they'd called him something other than Blue Beetle robing one fan base or turning two fan bases against each-other. But that seems to be how DC operates.
    Instead of something new, they feel they need to recycle.
    And that's what's so frustrating, he was so new! They could have had the "scarab" be anything else alien, also something new! Another insect, arthropod, another creature, anything, the design is pretty mutable. New fans would have loved him anyway, old fans might have checked it out too, without feeling they were helping bury their favorite.

I think they've actually made it harder for a Jaime book to survive in what is already a small comic buying audience. That said, it's done.
    I have to support him, he's awesome!

Re from the other thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Love Jaime's Beetle Buggy!

Last edited by Güicho; 05-12-2015 at 08:38 PM.

He was awesome on YJ...

Last edited by Güicho; 05-12-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Aww -- I'm sad that the general Blue Beetle Appreciation thread might be breaking up! Dan, Ted and Jaime are all awesome and it was kind of nice to have all their fans gathering together in one place.

In any case, I appreciate the heck out of Jaime -- he's just such a sweetheart. Funny, kind to others, and without the bratty attitude that so often seems to come along with teen characters in comics. I was really excited to see him in the new Convergence preview! Hoping for good things...

Edited to add: Plus he has real living parents who are nice people and were not the source of his tragic back story or fuel for his rage against the world and everything in it. At least in his original series. It was a refreshing change.
    Last edited by sanderling; 05-12-2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Additional appreciation

Y'know, Jaime really should've had a rouges gallery with thematic villains, because he only had the Reach. How was the new 52 jaime book? I need to check it out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    Y'know, Jaime really should've had a rouges gallery with thematic villains, because he only had the Reach. How was the new 52 jaime book? I need to check it out.
    After a promising first issue, in my opinion it ended up being one of the worst books of the early New 52.

Which is a shame. Jaime's a great character. One of these days I need to read all of Giffen and Rogers' run.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    Just stay in Jaime's first run with Giffen, Rogers, and Sturges.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

Yeah, Jaime's a cool character. It's a shame the powers that be aren't using him to his full potential. There room for both characters. Personally, I don't think Ted needs to be Blue Beetle anymore. As long as he's hanging out with Booster Gold, I don't think him having a superhero identity makes a difference.

I started the other thread but Jaime is definitely my favorite blue beetle!! I believe he is also the most well known incarnation thanks to all the multi media appearances.

Jaime makes a one panel appearance in Convergence #6. I think that's the first time he's appeared since Threshold.