Shazam
    Blue Beetle
    Superman Family 2
    Metamorpo
    Adam Strange

Any other reccomendations?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I have two which I really recommend:
    Jonah Hex and Phantom Stranger. Both aren't really superhero fare though. I also heard a lot of good stuff about House of Mystery and Enemy Ace and the like.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

The Atom
    Justice League of America
    Justice Society
    Trial of the Flash

Spectacular Member

Tastes vary, of course, but I got All-Star Squadron that I love, some of those stories I waited 30 years to read. They also put out a sea devils, Time master, and a Jonah Hex recently. There's not other format to get those stories.

Looking up a list of recent showcase offerings, I missed a Worlds Finest volume 4 that I'm going to have to track down.

Marvel's discontinuation of their similar Essential line is a real disappointment to me. DC has at least four on the schedule for the next year.
    trying to be nicer

I would even be up for buying the Epic Collections Marvel is putting out, if they would get more competitive on their pricing. The essentials/showcase lines are AMAZING for people like me who want to read their 4-5 ongoing series, and then explore the hsitory of the medium without a shelf full of omnibi, and an empty bank account.

I particularly enjoyed Jonah Hex.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Bat Lash, in my opinion, is the best volume, but the Jonah Hex volumes are great, too. Enemy Ace gets repetitive if you read story after story-- a problem with all of Kanigher's books-- but it does feature some of Joe Kubert's best art. Phantom Stranger, as others have mentioned, is good. Metamorpho is actually a lot of fun.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

You can't go wrong with any of the suspense/horror titles - House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Phantom Stranger... etc. Those would be the first I'd grab if any are available.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The only one I own is the JLA one, quite fun and cheesy!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Amazing Member

SEA DEVILS

THE LOSERS

YOUNG LOVE

TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED

The other SUPERMAN FAMILY volumes

Astonishing Member

I love all the Hawkman ones, the first three Flash ones, the Elongated Man, Bat Lash, Sea Devils, Metamorpho and I'm currently reading the Amethyst one which I think is fantastic.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I love all the Hawkman ones, the first three Flash ones, the Elongated Man, Bat Lash, Sea Devils, Metamorpho and I'm currently reading the Amethyst one which I think is fantastic.
    The first half of the Amythest, which is the maxi-series, is definitely great. It falls off quite a bit with the ongoing series, mostly because Colon doesn't provide the art until the last few issues collected in the Showcase. I think a lot of people have this idea that Amythest is some kind of campy fairy princess book, but it's really pretty brutal fantasy. It's smart to keep in mind that this was one of Karen Berger's first big successes as a developing editor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I think a lot of people have this idea that Amythest is some kind of campy fairy princess book, but it's really pretty brutal fantasy. It's smart to keep in mind that this was one of Karen Berger's first big successes as a developing editor.
    It's kind of both. The best description I can give it is that it's like Lord of the Rings crossed with Sailor Moon.

Spectacular Member

Dang, this is what I get for wandering outside the omnibus thread. This discussion just made me aware of the vast wealth of obscure DC series in the Showcase format. I'm intrigued by the material, but I really don't know if I will get used to the b&w newsprint format. I found good deals on Bat Lash and Brave & Bold vol. 2, and ordered them. From a few user photos, it looks like the Bat Lash art style comes off really well in b&w. I followed the Walking Dead for years, so I am okay with b&w, but it just seems inappropriate for a lot of the superhero material under consideration. So I would like to ask which of the Showcase titles are not only great, but most appropriate for the format. It seems like that has already been answered by the mention of the horror/suspense lines, which could work in b&w like the Walking Dead does. I appreciate any further tips!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    Dang, this is what I get for wandering outside the omnibus thread. This discussion just made me aware of the vast wealth of obscure DC series in the Showcase format. I'm intrigued by the material, but I really don't know if I will get used to the b&w newsprint format. I found good deals on Bat Lash and Brave & Bold vol. 2, and ordered them. From a few user photos, it looks like the Bat Lash art style comes off really well in b&w. I followed the Walking Dead for years, so I am okay with b&w, but it just seems inappropriate for a lot of the superhero material under consideration. So I would like to ask which of the Showcase titles are not only great, but most appropriate for the format. It seems like that has already been answered by the mention of the horror/suspense lines, which could work in b&w like the Walking Dead does. I appreciate any further tips!
    Certain artists like Gene Colan and Aparo look pretty damn good in black & white. So books like Phantom Stranger actually look very good.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47