Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    My presumption is that anything that tries to make it over the wall is beaten down and forced back, hence the need for people to monitor it.
    Must have been a lot of convictions to make sure they have enough guards capable of flight, or of shooting blasts or projectiles far enough to get any fliers. Otherwise, you have the same problem, the invaders just fly right over, thumbing their noses at any guards as well as the wall.

I didn't really view issue #1 as being full of exposition. This issue certainly has lots of exposition, but it pretty much has to. Without explaining Battleworld, the setting of most (likely all) of the rest of the event, how can there be a comprehensible story?

My presumption is that anything that tries to make it over the wall is beaten down and forced back, hence the need for people to monitor it.
    Yes, but that does the wall itself useless. All Ultrons can retrofit themselves to fly. Annihilus can breed flying insects. And many zombies can fly. The wall makes no difference to them, it's like a line painted on the ground; fighting them flying above the wall is no different to fighting them flying above the ground.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Edit: I just found out there's going to be a House of M spin-off series during Secret Wars - even though House of M occurred in 616 so it's not even a separate universe but whatever
    Except it is. Anything that could have happened is an alternate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man24 View Post
    So Dr Doom is Robert Baratheon? Franklin Richards is Jon Snow? Strange even looks just like Littlefinger.

This.....kinda sucks.... Infinity sucked too, I should have known this would suck.
    I love/d both of them!

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Must have been a lot of convictions to make sure they have enough guards capable of flight, or of shooting blasts or projectiles far enough to get any fliers. Otherwise, you have the same problem, the invaders just fly right over, thumbing their noses at any guards as well as the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Yes, but that does the wall itself useless. All Ultrons can retrofit themselves to fly. Annihilus can breed flying insects. And many zombies can fly. The wall makes no difference to them, it's like a line painted on the ground; fighting them flying above the wall is no different to fighting them flying above the ground.
    It's a really tall wall, as shown in this issue. So, it seems like the people themselves wouldn't have to be flyers. Nor do we have to worry immediately about an army or converted Ultrons, since, essentially, this world just came into being. They haven't thought of that yet. But when they do, it's possible the Thor Corps will be summoned to stop them.

BANNED

man....all i can think of how great this new feat for doom will be in the rumbles lol

It's a really tall wall, as shown in this issue. So, it seems like the people themselves wouldn't have to be flyers. Nor do we have to worry immediately about an army or converted Ultrons, since, essentially, this world just came into being. They haven't thought of that yet. But when they do, it's possible the Thor Corps will be summoned to stop them.
    Two hundred and fifty feet tall is nowhere near tall enough to foil flyers, many of the Marvel Zombies retain flight powers from when they were alive, the Annihilation Wave starts out able to fly through space, and I seriously doubt that Ultrons take any time at all to figure out how to fly, even if it doesn't come factory standard.

The wall is 250 feet tall, that doesn't present an obstacle to anything able to fly.

And they have spoken of seasonal attacks of the Annihilation Wave, which means they have been there for at least a few years, I think. And it wouldn't take so long for the Ultrons to retrofit themselves for flight. Heck, all the Ultron armies we have seen in previous books already were flight capable.

That's Night's Watch, not Knights Watch... and the equivalent on Battleworld is not the Thors. Seems like somebody's not even read the comic book for detail.

The Night's Watch is largely a bunch of reprieved from criminal charges Dirty Dozen types. The Thors are not, they're all folks deemed worthy to dispense justice for Doom, AND they're not the ones guarding the Shield all the time. Now, the condemned criminals that do guard the Shield are pretty similar to the Night's Watch guarding the Wall in GoT, but the idea of a giant magical wall keeping out nasties is hardly new to GoT, as many folks have pointed out in this thread.... and again, the Thors are something different.

Bottom line, lack of knowledge of the details of a work invalidates a particular critic's criticism of that work, as one can't accurately criticize something they literally don't know about.
    I know enough of the superficial GoT to see Secret Wars ripp it off. And this is not new - Marvel started out ripping off - Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Ant-Man, etc were all rip-offs with a Marvel spin on them as was Captain America (which is why he had to have a round shield).

I didn't really view issue #1 as being full of exposition. This issue certainly has lots of exposition, but it pretty much has to. Without explaining Battleworld, the setting of most (likely all) of the rest of the event, how can there be a comprehensible story?

The Jim Shooter Secret Wars did all its exposition in a few paragraphs. Modern Marvel likes to use as few words as possible.

Two hundred and fifty feet tall is nowhere near tall enough to foil flyers, many of the Marvel Zombies retain flight powers from when they were alive, the Annihilation Wave starts out able to fly through space, and I seriously doubt that Ultrons take any time at all to figure out how to fly, even if it doesn't come factory standard.
    I assumed the wall has a force field? No? If not - that is just stupid. Insects can climb up a wall - fly - zombified super heroes and Ultrons - ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    I know enough of the superficial GoT to see Secret Wars ripp it off. And this is not new - Marvel started out ripping off - Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Ant-Man, etc were all rip-offs with a Marvel spin on them as was Captain America (which is why he had to have a round shield).
    You don't seem to have read enough of this issue, Secret Wars #2 to have its details straight, though.

I assumed the wall has a force field? No? If not - that is just stupid. Insects can climb up a wall - fly - zombified super heroes and Ultrons - ditto.
    No force field mentioned or shown yet.

Read A-Force #1. There is no force field, and the wall isn't even that resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Read A-Force #1. There is no force field, and the wall isn't even that resilient.
    That is just the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I did not get around to reading A Force yet (I don't consider what you told me a spoiler so no worries) but that just makes no sense if your enemies can fly over a wall or blast through it - I mean it is like a regular brick / masonry wall? Cement, etc?

I thinkt hat we hav eto factor that the wall probably is NOT a normal wall, otherwise, flyers or not, the Ultron, the freaking annihilation wave and the superpowered zombies (ther eis a Zombie Juggernaut just saying) should have already smashed through. So is safe to assume that is NOt a normal wall. Also the whoel thing is kind of fishy if you think about. Doom is almighty and yet he allow those three thing to exist(and inflicting themselves upon the poor humans that STILL live there). Why? Why the Wall and the Shield? Rahter than GoT i got more a "Prisoner" or for a more modern take "Wayward pines" feeling for Battleworld(or for an Horror call back, The Cabin in the wood. In this sense try to figure who is "the Virgin" amongst the various kingdoms.