Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I haven't read Deadpools Secret Secret Wars yet, but I will, but that sounds like your option b) to me, unless there is a Deadpool world on Battleworld?
    Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars has nothing to do with this event. It's set in the original Secret Wars storyline from 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    These are the real characters. Marvel made it a point to emphasis that. They also aren't creations, they clearly have their own memories which have been suppressed for the fake memories Doom wants them to have. Doom also set out to save, not create fakes.
    Yes, with the possible exceptions of those who should be on the life raft like Peter Parker and Scott Summers... Doom may have created doppelgangers of them in order to have the complete set, as it were. Otherwise, I think we're in agreement that these are supposed to be the originals, saved in their Incursion zones, but with their memories altered in order to fit them into Battleworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    These are the real characters. Marvel made it a point to emphasis that. They also aren't creations, they clearly have their own memories which have been suppressed for the fake memories Doom wants them to have. Doom also set out to save, not create fakes.
    Many of them are from alternate Earths. We have already seen two Meggans, two Medusas, two Doctors Strange...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Two hundred and fifty feet tall is nowhere near tall enough to foil flyers, many of the Marvel Zombies retain flight powers from when they were alive, the Annihilation Wave starts out able to fly through space, and I seriously doubt that Ultrons take any time at all to figure out how to fly, even if it doesn't come factory standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    The wall is 250 feet tall, that doesn't present an obstacle to anything able to fly.

And they have spoken of seasonal attacks of the Annihilation Wave, which means they have been there for at least a few years, I think. And it wouldn't take so long for the Ultrons to retrofit themselves for flight. Heck, all the Ultron armies we have seen in previous books already were flight capable.
    From what we've seen of the Annihilation forces, they may not be able to fly. Annihilus is there, obviously. It's possible he's an appointed Baron.

Would the Ultrons be able to figure out how to fly without a central, guiding Ultron?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    The Jim Shooter Secret Wars did all its exposition in a few paragraphs. Modern Marvel likes to use as few words as possible.
    I can't agree that this comic was few on words.

Do you mean that maybe Doom controls the Annihilation Wave, the Ultrons and the Zombies and uses them as boggeymen to keep the Barons under control?
    If he does, then that essentially makes them his Mindless Ones.

Loved the issue. I love the parallels to GOT personally, I have no problem with it. Its not just the wall, but the establishments of high ranking houses and trials by combat also reminded my of GOT. It fits right in with Dooms' aesthetic and how he would structure social hierarchy as a ruler.

I'm interested to see the protocols Doom has in place for the Cabal. At he end of the issue as the raft opens, the general/King Thor says he just say is own grave as he looked at the Cabal. He also told young Thor to run as he "found death", which seems to imply King Thor knew who they were immediately. We know Doom is well aware of the Cabal since he rebuked Namors' pleas for stopping them. Maybe thats Dooms main impetus for quarantines? Doom is God(Life) and the Cabal is the complete antithesis of that. Sure Doom can control the evils (Ultrons/Annihilation Wave), however the Cabal is an evil run amok that is not presently under his control at all.

Many of them are from alternate Earths. We have already seen two Meggans, two Medusas, two Doctors Strange...etc.
    Sardorim is referring specifically to those in the merged 616/1610 Manhattan and is well aware that there are lots of alternate versions running around Battleworld in general, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    From what we've seen of the Annihilation forces, they may not be able to fly. Annihilus is there, obviously. It's possible he's an appointed Baron.
    If he was a Baron acknowledging Doom's rule, then the Shield would not be necessary to prevent his forces from overrunning the rest of Battleworld. And the Annihilation Wave can fly through space, so I don't see how a 250 foot wall would be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Would the Ultrons be able to figure out how to fly without a central, guiding Ultron?
    I don't know that they need one, in order to be as smart and capable of evolving themselves as the original was even from the point he was just a mean-looking head on wheels when Pym first built him. The text even explicitly says that the Ultrons are constantly upgrading themselves, so even if that's a false history, the current ones should be capable of doing so... and jet boot flight, especially if it's only needed to get over the Shield, is not an exceptionally difficult upgrade to conceive and develop.

Maybe the wall itself is filled with force field generators, but they only turn one on when they spot an attack coming from the Evil Dead Robot side of the Shield and aren't generally looking for flying megalodons from the other side.

BANNED

This issue was amazing. Would God Doom just smack around Thanos and The Cabal easily?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    This issue was amazing. Would God Doom just smack around Thanos and The Cabal easily?
    We really don't have an idea what is level of power is. Something that I noticed though and brought up in the Doom thread is how Ribic draws Doom wearing gloves instead of the usual armored gauntlets. Now that could just be a style choice by Ribic and of no significance. But then if you saw the Alex Ross cover for issue #4, he has gloves on again. Some of us have wondered about those because even though I don't see any gems on that cover, it resembles an Infinity Gauntlet. I wonder if Doom was able to get that one back from the Priests and the Professors of Doomverse? Or if the Doomverse survived? Typically the armored gauntlets deliver his energy blasts. So he doesn't need them anymore? Maybe tis much ado about nothing but still has me wondering.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-22-2015 at 10:33 PM.

BANNED

Also was the giant thing protecting the city a version of Galactus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    Also was the giant thing protecting the city a version of Galactus?
    ..or a version of one of the FF....Galactus never was that flaming red...and I highlight the word "flaming"

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    We really don't have an idea what is level of power is. Something that I noticed though and brought up in the Doom thread is how Ribic draws Doom wearing gloves instead of the usual armored gauntlets. Now that could just be a style choice by Ribic and of no significance. But then if you saw the Alex Ross cover for issue #4, he has gloves on again. Some of us have wondered about those because even though I don't see any gems on that cover, it resembles an Infininty Gauntlets. I wonder if Doom was able to get that one back from the Priests and the Professors of Doomverse? Or if the Doomverse survived? Typically the Gauntlets deliver his energy blasts. So he doesn't need them anymore? Maybe tis much ado about nothing but still has me wondering.

I think that Doom is indeed powerful. But not almighty as he claim. He porbably has simlar limitation to the beyonders, now, and lack telepathy and omniscience(the fact that in other Secret Wars title we see how people can think even very negative stuff about Doom, and plot agains this rule) also i got a strange feeling about the high court. I got the feeling that Victor is not completely aware of his surroundings, and this leave Strange and Susan to battle for the control, sort off. So far is only those two(and perhaps Val) tha thav esome weight in communicating wiht doom. There lot of mysteries running around in that court

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    ..or a version of one of the FF....Galactus never was that flaming red...and I highlight the word "flaming"
    spoilers:
    Franklin ends having his own
    end of spoilers Galactus during the Hickman's FF run.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    I know enough of the superficial GoT to see Secret Wars ripp it off. And this is not new - Marvel started out ripping off - Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Ant-Man, etc were all rip-offs with a Marvel spin on them as was Captain America (which is why he had to have a round shield).
    What did it rip off? A wall with barbarians on the other side? Been done in fiction ad naseum, as well as based on real world walls (Wall of China, Hadrian's Wall, other less famous walls). Courts and court-politics are hardly something unique to Game of Thrones. The idea of a single ruler uniting many different realms through force of arms and religion has been done a hundreds of times before. Duels to decide who was right/wrong were a staple of real world cultures. The battle between science and religion doesn't have much to do with GoTs. Cool looking thrones are not the sole purview of Games of Thrones. This issue is superficially like Game of Thrones because both draw heavily on standard fantasy tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    What did it rip off? A wall with barbarians on the other side? Been done in fiction ad naseum, as well as based on real world walls (Wall of China, Hadrian's Wall, other less famous walls). Courts and court-politics are hardly something unique to Game of Thrones. The idea of a single ruler uniting many different realms through force of arms and religion has been done a hundreds of times before. Duels to decide who was right/wrong were a staple of real world cultures. The battle between science and religion doesn't have much to do with GoTs. Cool looking thrones are not the sole purview of Games of Thrones. This issue is superficially like Game of Thrones because both draw heavily on standard fantasy tropes.
    The wall is an immense wall from one side of the world to the other - on the other side are zombies - same as in GoT. Also, there is some sort of guard whose duty or punishment is to guard that wall. That is not the same thing as Hadrian's Wall, the walls of Rome or the Great Wall.

And a quick trip to Google shows I am not the only one who noticed:

http://www.avclub.com/article/secret...-marvel-219456

Secret Wars #2 pulls from Game Of Thrones to create a new Marvel landscape

Each week, Big Issues focuses on a newly released comic book of significance. This week it’s Secret Wars #2. Written by Jonathan Hickman (New Avengers, East Of West) with art by Esad Ribic (Thor: God Of Thunder, Uncanny X-Force) and colorist Ive Svorcina (Thor: God Of Thunder, Starlight), this issue introduces a new Marvel universe that incorporates elements from all of Marvel Comics history and brings them together for a Game Of Thrones-inspired story on Battleworld. (This review reveals major plot points.)[/I]