Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Are some of Azz and Chiang's depictions of the Gods all that unique? Hera is a beautiful woman decked out in peacock feathers, pissed off at her husband for cheating on, and summons monsters and stuff to kill his offspring. That's pretty much how she was in Hercules the Legendary Journeys. Even when Azzarello makes her more sympathetic, there's precedent for that in other sources as well. She became nicer in later Xena/Hercules episodes, and the WW comics have called out Zeus on his cheating heart and made Hera the sympathetic one. Poseidon? Zeus's brother who resides over the oceans, hates Athena, makes a play for the throne: pretty standard stuff. Even his design isn't all that unique, we've had depictions of him with a merman tail and/or made entirely of sea water before. Eris/Strife? The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy kind of got there first with a diva who stirs crap up for the lulz.

And beyond the aesthetics, when you get right down to it, the basic idea of this cast is the same: the family of Gods from Greek myth who reside over archetypal domains and are constantly stabbing each other in the back is the same in practically every story they appear in.

But:

Lex Luthor: Bald mad scientist who grew up in Smallville, created a thriving business in Metropolis, hates Superman.
    The Joker: Clown themed criminal mastermind, disfigured with bleached skin and green hair, attacks people with clown/comedic themes weapons and a toxic gas that leaves his victims with a hideous rictus, has a sidekick named Harley Quinn, lives in Gotham City and fights Batman.
    The Cheetah: Vain socialite with a split personality who dons slaughtered animal skin during her craziness and jealousy that leads to a vendetta against Wonder Woman/callous treasure hunter who becomes the avatar of a jungle goddess and battles Wonder Woman.
    All three live in the same fictional universe owned and published by DC Comics.

All three of these characters play on classic archetypes and have inspired derivative characters, but the details come together to form unique creations that aren't found in other tales. The difference between them and the Greek Gods is pretty clear. Cheetah as she is can only exist in stories with Wonder Woman, but Hera as she is can appear anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    This is a great idea, AmiMizuno. That could be a lot of fun.

For me another one is how the Gods are affected by people. BY that I mean no longer can Zeus rule due to him being the patriarchy. The head of all the gods.Rather he will disappear or lose his people kinda of like Azz's Hera. His wife and him have to be co-equals. Zeus prideful and arrogant loses his throne and Hera is Queen. So she wants to see if Zeus will change or remain the same.She dates him since he is now a human.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Trademark is based on likelihood of confusion, ...

(I know you didn't ask, but I like to talk about this stuff.)
    I'm glad you like talking about this stuff, it's enjoyable to read. Thank you for sharing your expertise, Expletive Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Interesting. We've always agreed that the First Born's back story in 14 was a good moment. I'd just add (or emphasize, because I think you're already implying this) that it was good not only because it was original, but also because it was rooted in mythic precedent. It was a kind of repetition-with-difference of the story of Cronus and Rhea and their kids, or the story of Uranus and Gaea and their kids, and it also drew from Oedipus and other stories in which attempts to stave off prophecy make prophecy come true. The "difference" made this version original, but the "repetition" made it resonant and primal. I also felt this way about Diana shooting Hades with the love bullet; various circumstances made it original, but it was also felt like a real myth, not in spite of but partly because of the fact that it echoed stories of Echo, of Narcissus, and of Eros/Cupid. Same with Rucka; a rescue mission to hell wasn't new, but doing an old thing a new day was more interesting than something that no one had ever bothered to do before might have been.
    So, your grand conclusion is a "might have been?"

Your "repetition-with-difference" is a good way of explaining it. I didn't feel as strongly about Diana and the love bullet; I didn't care for it all being Heph's plan, nor did I care for the lack of a strong follow-through. But, a love gun isn't something you see every day.

As for five poor WW monthly comics on the stand, I'd prefer fewer, good comics. I do think having too many comics hurts characters like Batman and Wolverine. At least, it makes me less interested in them. Same with public domain characters sometimes. Imo, Azzarello's story could have used a little more that's distinctly WW.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Trademark is based on likelihood of confusion, so the strongest marks are the least likely to cause confusion on the part of the consumer.
    It definitely makes it's own kind of sense; I just get a kick out of "fanciful" and "abritray" seeming to elevating.

(I know you didn't ask, but I like to talk about this stuff.)
    If I didn't ask, it was only because I didn't want to impose after you already gave a great explanation. It's fun to hear about this stuff; thanks.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-15-2015 at 04:40 AM.

Another thing is to show the gods other symbols for example many og you keep saying Athena has the owl she doesn't just have the Owl but snake, cats and dove which means victory. I mean Owl is but the olive branch was also one. So the eagle was one two depending on the research. I mainly be able to have snakes, cats outside of the Owl symbols. Olive Branch of course is also importance.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Another thing is to show the gods other symbols for example many og you keep saying Athena has the owl she doesn't just have the Owl but snake, cats and dove which means victory. I mean Owl is but the olive branch was also one. So the eagle was one two depending on the research. I mainly be able to have snakes, cats outside of the Owl symbols. Olive Branch of course is also importance.
    Back at the beginning I was sure when Hera turned the Amazon's to snakes that it was a dig at Athena, made me think Athena may have been behind the creation of the N52 Amazons ... but that seems to have been a "face value" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    It sounds like a bunch of semantics. Azz used characters from the public domain. That is what Dr. Poison has been stating for quite a while. What Azz does with these characters afterwards may not be public domain as you put it, but the characters started out that way.
    The meaning of public domain has been misrepresented and repeated, long before Dr. Poison ever touched it. In turn, when I've been wrong about something, Doc has straightened me out about it, and so have the rest of you. We've got each others' backs in the Wonderhood.

There's nothing to defend or forgive here. Really.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!