Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #8 Review (Last Days Spoilers)

When it comes to event tie-ins, few have been on the ball like Ewing. And once again, he provides a can't miss issue for those who like the characters in Mighty Avengers, especially Luke and Monica.

This issue deals directly with the Mighty Avengers' involved in Time Runs Out. Why they helped Cap, what some (see Blue Marvel and potentially Monica) have been planning to stop the incursion, and their status quo as the final incursion starts.

Ewing hits a ton of story beats and character moments. Reed and T'Challa's authoritarian stand point has barely changed, despite how much the Illuminati failed. And Steve is no different, but for a different cause. The Mighty Avengers are caught in the middle, going after both sides for how they mishandled the Incursion situation. Ewing is able to keep consist with Hickman's portrayal of the two sides while having them conflict with the Mighty Avengers roster.

But there's more to this issue than that; we get to finally see how regular people are handling the end of the world. Notable mouthpieces from throughout Ewing's run (like the Fox News expy) add their two cents on what's going on, and whether or not the Ultimate Universe should fall. There are subtle moments with some pretty heavy implications, like why Monica switches costumes while Steve's around.

Speaking of Monica, throughout the issue, people (and the readers) are left wondering what her plan is. What she's capable off. Ewing understands how powerful the character is, and how in a situation like the final incursion, that could be a problem. The reader is left with a question; is Monica willing to attempt blowing up an entire Earth? Is she even capable?

We know the answer: she doesn't get to. But I'm interested on how she's stopped, and if she's stopped by herself or by others. This was a very intriguing issue, one that should have more eyes on it.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Incredible Member

Yeah. It was pretty good. The only problem is that it goes by so quick. Like you said we never get to see where they are on the planet destroying issue (outside Kaluu). I would have liked more time with these characters in this situation.

Luke and T'challa interact at all?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I really enjoyed this issue. I think the series has been back on point since the AXIS arc ended. I applaud Ewing for taking on what he's trying to show with Monica's appearance changes, even if I'm not sure he's being 100% effective. Most writers shy away from that stuff and Ewing seems willing to charge headfirst into it.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Luke and T'challa interact at all?
    No, but we get to see T'Challa and Blue Marvel interact, which is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    No, but we get to see T'Challa and Blue Marvel interact, which is cool.
    Yeah, the conversation between T'Challa/Reed and Blue Marvel/Monica was definately a highlight of the book.

BANNED

Does either Reed or Steve felt guilty over their actions within this tie in. As in does Luke and Sam call Reed and Steve out on their actions ?

Also does She-Hulk interact with her cousin in the tie-in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Does either Reed or Steve felt guilty over their actions within this tie in. As in does Luke and Sam call Reed and Steve out on their actions ?

Blue Marvel and Spectrum do most of the shaming.

No, She-Hulk doesn't get much this issue.

Honestly I think Reed and T'Challa more than anything seemed a bit annoyed that Blue Marvel and Monica were taking up their precious time by talking to them. They basically walked off, saying they had more important things to do (though in all fairness they probably did).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I think Reed and T'Challa more than anything seemed a bit annoyed that Blue Marvel and Monica were taking up their precious time by talking to them. They basically walked off, saying they had more important things to do (though in all fairness they probably did).
    Well it is Reed's and T'challa's fault for not even considering going to Blue Marvel for help. So that's on their shoulders.

And honestly, Blue Marvel's point was completely negated. He already tried to figure out a solution and failed.

Unless they thought of a giant raft, nothing was going to work. Not even telling everyone early.
    Last edited by Double 0; 05-13-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Well it is Reed's and T'challa's fault for not even considering going to Blue Marvel for help. So that's on their shoulders.
    It is, but telling him would have changed nothing. The issue outright showed this.

Again, as Valeria said, there was always only two options: make a raft using the Living Tribunal, or die. Stark knew it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    And honestly, Blue Marvel's point was completely negated. He already tried to figure out a solution and failed.

Unless they thought of a giant raft, nothing was going to work. Not even tell everyone early.
    I don't think his main point was negated at all. He was arging they shouldn't have kept their actions a secret. And that's an entirely valid perspective. Even if working together doesn't find a solution (and Hickman basically states that it wouldn't) in the least it would have avoided all the unecessary in-fighting. When you consider that the Illuminati ended up agreeing with Steve about not blowing up inhabited worlds anyways, they frankly ended up fighting over nothing. Which I think was BM's main point.

BANNED

I don't think his main point was negated at all. He was arging they shouldn't have kept their actions a secret. And that's an entirely valid perspective. Even if working together doesn't find a solution (and Hickman basically states that it wouldn't) in the least it would have avoided all the unecessary in-fighting. When you consider that the Illuminati ended up agreeing with Steve about not blowing up inhabited worlds anyways, they frankly ended up fighting over nothing. Which I think was BM's main point.
    Which now makes you wonder why did Steve listen to old Hawkeye in the first place if this was the result of it all ?

Especially if he was warn of this by an older Franklin Richards ?

I still disagree. Steve would have gotten them all taken out without a raft, because if I remember correctly, he wasn't around when the dead Living Tribunal showed up. As bad as it was, the Illuminati and Cabal provided enough time for Doom to become the Great Destroyer (starting the time loop), and for the raft to be built, the keys of their survival. And I'm not sure telling people would have stopped the infighting. With guys like Steve and Tony, nevermind the many, many supervillains, it would have led to in fighting quicker and more public.

Valid sure. Right? Nope.