Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Thor, #8

As writer Jason Aaron and artist Russell Dauterman reveal Thor's secret identity, the goddess of Thunder has to defend herself from the Destroyer. Luckily, Odinson brought some allies.

Full review here.

Never read even a panel of Aaron's previous Thor series so this silly agent whatever meant nothing to me (and has been a cipher since the new series started so I don't have any investment in the character) and everything I knew about Doctor Jane's status quo is since the new issue one and everything still hit me emotionally this issue. Heck, I knew Doctor Jane was Thor before buying the issue and the bit about it killing her and this still read as one of the most perfect comic books I've ever read. Turns out I love Aaron when he turns down the fucked up stuff in t ere for the sake of fucked up stuff and Dauterman gives every nuance a soul! By the way, the What If had her as Thordis but I'd prefer calling her Doctor Thor...

I enjoy Aarons run on Thor...I enjoyed his last Thor series...however, I've said this since the beginning of this run and I'll say it again, the Mystery of who the new Thor is and what Nick Fury said to Odinson is silly and a waste of time. Everyone knew/guessed Jane Foster was the new Thor so this reveal was underwhelming. The audience STILL NOT KNOWING WHAT FURY SAID A FULL YEAR LATER is a serious mistake in my opinion. They waited to long to tell the audience now so now matter what he says the audience will think it's stupid. Aside from that I really enjoyed the artwork and the coloring. There were color choices in the issue that really made the scene pop or convey the emotional tone of what was going on in the panel. Although It sounds like I was a little harsh towards Jason Aaron I still enjoy his work and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

I think the mystery about the identity of the female Thor was used so they could get people to refer to her as Thor. If everyone knew from the beginning then people might have just referred to her as Jane or Thordis.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I enjoy Aarons run on Thor...I enjoyed his last Thor series...however, I've said this since the beginning of this run and I'll say it again, the Mystery of who the new Thor is and what Nick Fury said to Odinson is silly and a waste of time. Everyone knew/guessed Jane Foster was the new Thor so this reveal was underwhelming. The audience STILL NOT KNOWING WHAT FURY SAID A FULL YEAR LATER is a serious mistake in my opinion.
    I was sure it was Roz up until last issue when it became just that bit too obvious so i'm not sure the bold is true, at least not for the first six issues.

The Fury whisper I honestly don't care about. Was it a great narrative device? No. But how unworthiness affects Thor is a thousand times more interesting than what made him unworthy in the first place.