Page 316 of 386 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,740 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    They should just release this on Hulu or Disney+ already. Do the streaming and be done because at this point all the delaying and canceling or changing release dates will do no good
    It could be a better idea. Releasing movies online are not a bad thing anymore. Some of the best films I have seen recently were immediately released online. Mudbound, The Irishman, Roma.

Not saying New Mutants is a good film since I have not seen it but there is zero evidence putting it online means its a bad film.

Don't wait a year like Fast and Furious 9 is doing.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

depressing stuff
    "Cable was right!"

I get that there are folks who are LOVING this news since it's such a trainwreck. But honestly they just need to put it on streaming at this point. I'm willing to drop $10 to watch it at home. Hell, I'm likely going to be forced to work from home the next two weeks anyway.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

I am still real sour about this, but at least it is ALL the movies being adjusted and not just New Mutants.

However, if it moves out into 2021, I am going to lost it...again.

While I would LOVE to see this in the theater, I would settle for Hulu at this point so I can just see the damn thing.

Theaters aren't closing yet, but may be forced to close since there aren't any movies coming out. Trolls (April 10) and Black Widow (May 1) are the only major releases not to announce they're being delayed. Some larger auditoriums in California are staggering the seatings.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...w-long-1284329

International theaters are more likely to close than US theaters. Last night the numbers didn't look all that bad considering the new releases are meh. People in the US are still going to movie theaters. Horror movies don't typically do as well internationally than in the US and Canada.

With so many sports shutting down and kids out of school, people are going to get even more bored in April. I think it's the question of whether studios are going to be pressured to not put out new releases that drive people to the theaters.

If the box office numbers are decent the next few weeks, Disney may consider putting New Mutants out in April or May. But this pandemic may continue for over a year...

Edited to add: Bloodshot made $1.2M in previews last night. It's likely to exceed predictions if theaters don't close. But it also appeals to the audience who are less likely to care about the pandemic.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 03-13-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Well with Trump likely declaring a State of Emergency today it might end up that he forces gatherings of a certain size nationwide to stop which would put any hopes on ice. I have a concert tonight for one of my favorite bands, so I'm nervously watching this news.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    A global pandemic is a pretty decent reason to delay a movie's release. It's waited a long time, I guess it can wait longer.
    Seconded.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Theaters aren't closing yet, but may be forced to close since there aren't any movies coming out. Trolls (April 10) and Black Widow (May 1) are the only major releases not to announce they're being delayed. Some larger auditoriums in California are staggering the seatings.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...w-long-1284329

International theaters are more likely to close than US theaters. Last night the numbers didn't look all that bad considering the new releases are meh. People in the US are still going to movie theaters. Horror movies don't typically do as well internationally than in the US and Canada.

With so many sports shutting down and kids out of school, people are going to get even more bored in April. I think it's the question of whether studios are going to be pressured to not put out new releases that drive people to the theaters.

If the box office numbers are decent the next few weeks, Disney may consider putting New Mutants out in April or May. But this pandemic may continue for over a year...

Edited to add: Bloodshot made $1.2M in previews last night. It's likely to exceed predictions if theaters don't close. But it also appeals to the audience who are less likely to care about the pandemic.
    Studios have so many movies sitting on the shelf that many of them could put movies just to put them out. While letting the big dogs wait it out.

And is Disney's case-stream a lot of those films. It would probably help Disney + & Hulu.

Fantastic Member

It's unlikely New Mutants will ever show up... in Disney+
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/2...ters-streaming

was worried for sam and it seems like they could not handle his mutant powers.
    his flight should have juggernaut impact, kinda like avengers 1 thor vs iron man first scene.
    not a frigging purple pixie dizzing around.
    his code name is cannonball, not sparkle fly
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Studios have so many movies sitting on the shelf that many of them could put movies just to put them out. While letting the big dogs wait it out.

And is Disney's case-stream a lot of those films. It would probably help Disney + & Hulu.
    Theaters are going to be massively hurting from people simply not going to movies due to the pandemic. In the best case scenario where social distancing recommendations are lifted by the end of March, there's likely going to be people still skittish about going, so the box office may continue to be hurting for months to come. Add to that if studios aren't releasing new movies, there's going to be theaters put out of business.

I'm not sure if any of the current weekend estimates are going to be accurate. But the latest numbers are an 20 year low for the weekend domestic (US and Canada) box office. Despite that, Bloodshot may open to 10M. It's not all that different than expected because too many people are idiots and are going out to see a bad movie.

It may come down to studios' feeling the pressure from social responsibility to not drive people to theaters and the backlash they might get from people angry about them releasing movies versus pressure from theaters to help them sell tickets and keep them in business.

But part of the other element of releasing movies is promotion. One of the key reasons behind the delays was talent refusing to travel. That wasn't the case for New Mutants since poor Maisie flew to NYC for a long list of talk show appearances only to learn the release was delayed when she landed. But all of those shows were put on hiatus the next day. Bigger A-list stars can refuse to go do promotion until August, but the young actors in New Mutants can't. I suspect part of the reason to pull the release was to protect the cast from having to do promotion requirements like that.

I don't know the situation at Disney, but I know for other studios the goal is protecting their staff. If they're releasing films, that means their marketing team is working, there are vendors doing tv spots, etc. Most of the studios want to keep their staff out of the offices. So they can't even start back up marketing campaigns until it's safe for their staff to start working again - so a release of Mulan and probably Black Widow wouldn't be in the forecast until at least a 6 weeks after they are back up and running.

With New Mutants, if there isn't a premiere and promotion is all online and interviews via Skype- then maybe that works since it's not a big deal if it flops. I think it is something that could be tossed into theaters before all the panic has died down since it appeals to young people who are more likely to be bored out of their minds and less worried. Families with children are going to be far more cautious about going out to see Mulan.

But if this does continue on for months and months, with the amount of production shut-downs for Disney+ will result in lack of programming. Disney is going to have to start considering putting New Mutants and Artemis Fowl on Disney+ since there's nothing else to keep subscribers. HBO Max launches in May and Quibi launches in a few weeks. They've been ramping up with new programming and it's at the perfect time.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 03-14-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Huh, I did not realize it had been that many times, lol. I see one article saying one of the reasons they didn’t do reshoots was because they actors had aged too much by then. Possible but I didn’t really read the whole thing.

I mean you can only delay for so long until people stop caring.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Huh, I did not realize it had been that many times, lol. I see one article saying one of the reasons they didn’t do reshoots was because they actors had aged too much by then. Possible but I didn’t really read the whole thing.
    Yes, that's what Josh Boone said about the reshoots. (See https://ew.com/movies/the-new-mutant...isie-williams/) They couldn't actually do them now since the cast has changed too much. They didn't even do pick-ups since they hadn't been able to schedule them.

Simon Kinberg last spring/summer mentioned trying to get the cast together was the problem and since they were all filming tv shows, it was so much more difficult to schedule around than actors primarily doing movies.

GoT Season 8 would have prevented Maisie from filming pickups for New Mutants in time for the first release date and maybe the second.

New Mutants filmed in the fall of 2017 for a rather short period around August and September 2017. Filming for GoT Season 8 started at the end of October 2017 and Maisie filmed for 11 months. She was the last of the cast members to July 2018. She filmed more days than any other cast member except Kit Harington.

So the opportunity to do pickups for the first two release dates was probably out due to the problems scheduling Maisie due to GoT Season 8. I'm not sure how she would have done promotion for New Mutants in April 2018 with her GoT filming schedule. So, another thing that disaster can be blamed for.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 03-15-2020 at 03:25 PM.