Page 382 of 386 FirstFirst ... 282332372378379380381382383384385386 LastLast
Results 5,716 to 5,730 of 5790

Saw it. It was ok but not great.

Wish it was closer to the comics. The soulsword is a good visual but bad idea for story.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I watched it last night. I was rather disappointed. And that was going in with only mild hopes for a decent movie. Makes a hash of the original source material story to be sure. If you have little to no affinity for the original comics, the movie might prove mildly diverting but I didn't really get much out of the movie myself.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

For those disappointed in the actual movie, check out the full rewrite I did.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1369014...s-film-rewrite

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    For those disappointed in the actual movie, check out the full rewrite I did.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1369014...s-film-rewrite

Interesting. I will read it. Thank you.

P.s: check your private messages.

I just watched it as well. It was a whole lot of... nothing.

The cast were mostly capable, and I liked the chemistry between Rahne and Dani. Illyana seemed to be the campiest of the group despite the real world trauma. Thought Sam was nice and I tried to envision him as an MCU Avenger. Berto was probably the most disappointing.

But that's the cast. The story just didn't click at all -- for a horror movie, it wasn't at all scary in any sense (even PG and PG-13 movies can offer some thrills), and I loved the idea of superpowers vs. a horror setting, but it didn't mesh. Direction was fine, and sometimes intimate, and that was good to see, but the actual content was just so generic, lacking of character (despite everyone's distinct personalities), and too low energy.

Plus, they make too much food for just six people.

I'll say this for some of the historically bad X-Men films -- at least they had good spectacle. Here we have excellent CGI scenes with some weight and texture to it -- doing a lot of the same that we've seen in other movies anyway.

I just realized, too, that because the cast is so small, there's no real frame of reference for everyone's powers; that is, in any superpowered movie, whether it's X-Men or MCU or whatever, there tend to be powerless humans around so that the heroes can come in and use their powers since normal humans don't have that advantage. If everyone in your cast has superpowers, it's a bit less thrilling (if everyone is special, then no one is, a la The Incredibles); and so superpowers here are reduced to tools and weapons at the heart of it, since those characters aren't necessarily elevated above anyone else. I don't need the New Mutants to go out and save millions of civilians in Manhattan, but the setting is so small that their powers in turn feel too constrained.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-20-2020 at 01:50 AM.

At first, like a year or so ago, I did not think I would like it. Then, it seemed to sound better up to the present. Now, from the reviews, I am not so sure I will see it.......

I finally got to watching the movie and it's honestly okay, not spectacular but far from the worst X-Men movie ever. It is certainly much better than Dark Phoenix and X-Men: Apocalypse. It was a tad bit predictable, but I did appreciate it being very different to the other FoX-Men movies. I really liked the part where Magik slices (??) Demon Bear. It was pretty cool and I would have loved it if it had lasted for more than 30 seconds. I think the movie would have definitely benefitted from being longer in order to better develop the characters and well... fit more movie into the movie. The characterisations were a bit weird, which I find strange since I'm pretty sure the director said he grew up reading New Mutants comics (edit: and also I think everyone read the actual storyline from the comics as well for homework, so I'm not too sure how they missed the mark when they literally had their guide right in front of them ). But hey, I guess this was his take on the characters, which I find is certainly... interesting... The ending (or more the conclusion of the fight) was a bit underwhelming. I couldn't help but notice that Dani and Rahne kept bumping their noses every time they kissed. Also Lockheed was pretty cute, I think he'd give Groot a run for his money in terms of the cuteness factor.
    Last edited by DrMcNugget; 11-20-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    At first, like a year or so ago, I did not think I would like it. Then, it seemed to sound better up to the present. Now, from the reviews, I am not so sure I will see it.......
    It's not, as no superhero movie has ever really been, a faithful adaptation of the comic, but it's actually not remotely as dire as predicted. Then again, I liked the Green Lantern movie more than any of the deadly dull Nolan Batflicks, so my taste is... odd.

As with all things, probably best to judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNugget View Post
    I think the movie would have definitely benefitted from being longer in order to better develop the characters and well... fit more movie into the movie.
    The movie never got reshoots (delays and scheduling problems lead to the cast aging too much). It is the shortest movie since the original and I can see the point that it could've been longer. On the other hand, apparently the reshoots were intended to retool the movie to be a more straight horror movie instead of the coming of age with horror elements that the final product was (and the director has gone on record that the final film is pretty much his vision). Might be interesting to know what Fox wanted to change before the chaos of the Disney sale left it on the back burner.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNugget View Post
    The characterisations were a bit weird, which I find strange since I'm pretty sure the director said he grew up reading New Mutants comics (edit: and also I think everyone read the actual storyline from the comics as well for homework, so I'm not too sure how they missed the mark when they literally had their guide right in front of them ). But hey, I guess this was his take on the characters, which I find is certainly... interesting...
    I know in the BluRay features it was mentioned that they wanted to take the characters and put them in a new origin story. As far as the differences, from what I had read of the comics, it seemed pretty comparable in the characterizations, but that's just me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Just watched it for the second time tonight, and I actually enjoyed it much more than my first viewing.

It is by no means perfect, but still an enjoyable 90 some minutes.

BANNED

My only problems with the movie:

1- They should have spent more screentime on Illyana/Magik, her origins, her backstory, her powers and her abilities. Just that. Magik is still the most important and powerful New Mutant. This is the biggest flaw of the movie. Her powers don't make quite sense, at least not without a reasonable "sci-fi" explanation.

2- Demon Bear should have been a standalone entity, and not Dani's product. This makes Dani "guilty" and kinda makes the villain look and feel far less important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's not, as no superhero movie has ever really been, a faithful adaptation of the comic, but it's actually not remotely as dire as predicted. Then again, I liked the Green Lantern movie more than any of the deadly dull Nolan Batflicks, so my taste is... odd.

As with all things, probably best to judge for yourself.
    Yes, I always say the movie version of comic characters are never the same as the books, no matter how similar they seem. I also liked the GL movie.

? Is this the "horror movie" they touted it to be?

Amazing Member

Is this the "horror movie" they touted it to be?
    Maybe I'm just jaded but I found a lot of the movie more dull than terrifying.

Ultimate Member

Yes, I always say the movie version of comic characters are never the same as the books, no matter how similar they seem. I also liked the GL movie.

? Is this the "horror movie" they touted it to be?
    I heard they went back and reshot it to make it 'more horror-y,' but I also thought it was pretty lackluster in that regard. Maybe they should have stuck to whatever the original plan was...

At least they didn't reshoot it to be a romantic comedy?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I liked this movie quite a bit. It was a neat little movie with a tight story and great effects. Illyana was really rad, and should totally have her own franchise starring Ana Taylor-Joy.

I recently rewatched LOGAN, which I think is the best Marvel movie, and this followed up on that pretty A-OK.