Page 288 of 386 FirstFirst ... 188238278284285286287288289290291292298338 ... LastLast
Results 4,306 to 4,320 of 5790

Like disney or not, they know not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Yeah that's kinda weird how they whitewashed him completely. I feel like they didn't even think about it and assumed he wasn't black, and that's even worse.
    I think they thought casting a brazillian actor was more important than casting a black actor... I'm brazillian but I think it's kinda ridiculous.

A: I'm shocked this is actually still coming out in theatres.
    B: I'm shocked it actually looks really good.

Extraordinary Member

It certainly looks intriguing.

Judging by the trailer Dani is the main character followed by Illyana and Rahne in that order, with the boys getting the short end of the stick. Really surprised by how much they showed off of Illyana's powers right at the end. It was for a very short time, but it was still a huge amount.

Also, the facility is specially designed to hold mutants. One of my biggest concerns was how they'd justify having some of these characters held prisoner so easily. It's left unclear if that barrier is technology-based or supernatural in nature, since it is strongly implied that the facility has a supernatural element before the mutants even got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Yeah that's kinda weird how they whitewashed him completely. I feel like they didn't even think about it and assumed he wasn't black, and that's even worse.
    They cast the whitest-passing actors as Cecilia and Dani and that it was made by 'all non-white ppl are interchangeable' Fox, so I'm going to go with 'deliberate'.
    Last edited by Foon4000; 01-06-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I certainly hope that Disney continues pushing the envelope like this with the X-properties and branching out beyond just pure popcorn movie superhero fare. Seems like they will since Deadpool 3 is confirmed, and DP1 and 2 were really more of a black comedy than anything.
    Well its not necessarily a Disney movie. Disney just said last week, they can't make a horror film. new mutants is a left over movie from fox that landed in Disney lap. it was fox that pushed the enveloped, Why I always said despite how Fox never had much of brain when it came to x-men, I still preferred them to keep the xmen IP over Disney as fox could fully embrace the real nature of the xmen universe if they got their brains together, while Disney cant on any circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentonis View Post
    Like disney or not, they know not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Yeah, looks better than I thought. I enjoy the horror vibe. Kind of like how ‘Logan’ was more of a Western in tone and feel.
    If you have noticed in the last 4 years or so, there has been one superhero movie that declares itself as the answer or the antidote to the common formula we have now.

2016 was Deadpool
    2017 was Logan
    2018 Into the Spiderverse
    2019 was Joker.

Kinberg is not really involved with this film, so New Mutants does have a chance to be the poster kid for different type of comic movie that does not make you think of fun theme parks rides only.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-06-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Judging by the trailer Dani is the main character followed by Illyana and Rahne in that order, with the boys getting the short end of the stick. Really surprised by how much they showed off of Illyana's powers right at the end. It was for a very short time, but it was still a huge amount.

Also, the facility is specially designed to hold mutants. One of my biggest concerns was how they'd justify having some of these characters held prisoner so easily. It's left unclear if that barrier is technology-based or supernatural in nature, since it is strongly implied that the facility has a supernatural element before the mutants even got there.
    I heard someone mention they thought it could be Cecilia's power keeping them in. But that seems rather over the top.

I like how for anyone who has read the books you know the movie is basically Dani's powers going crazy. But for the average viewer it'll be a nice twist for them.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Much better than the first. Glad they finally showed powers this time. Magik was the highlight! I'm glad they went with her classic soulsword as opposed to what its been recently, and the stepping disk looked cool too. Also happy they did away with the Human Torch adaptation we've seen of Sunspot in the past (Never mind, it still looks kinda similar to that in some shots).
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 01-06-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Magik looks good, it's nice that her powerset is respected. As well as Sunspot's.

But... It's just me or Sam looks like he has Rictor's powers? All we see is his arms shaking.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I heard someone mention they thought it could be Cecilia's power keeping them in. But that seems rather over the top.

I like how for anyone who has read the books you know the movie is basically Dani's powers going crazy. But for the average viewer it'll be a nice twist for them.
    Yeah. Those bald things are Illyana's fear from her childhood. Sam has to relive his mining accident. Rahne has the whole religious element.

They said mutants, The most interesting thing now if this is in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    They said mutants, The most interesting thing now if this is in the MCU.
    No offence but that is the least interesting thing about the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think they thought casting a brazillian actor was more important than casting a black actor... I'm brazillian but I think it's kinda ridiculous.
    The age old debate of ethnicity vs nationality. Also had this character not made a cameo in DOFP. He was not black, nor white.

e07c4ed168273d3fb4bfb86146a3b939.jpg

Brazilians come in different skin tone. we may not even know if he is Brazilian in the film.

If there was one thing I liked about the concept of this film was it was not necessarily tied to the main series that DOFP took place in. it wanted to be a stand alone, meaning multiple actors could take on the same role like we have already seen with Colossus in Deadpool 1 and 2 vs X2, X3 DOFP
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Judging by the trailer Dani is the main character followed by Illyana and Rahne in that order, with the boys getting the short end of the stick.
    Especially interesting since we have 4 other comic book movies with women leads (Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey, Black Widow, Wonder Woman and Sersi) this year.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I won't rehash the casting of PoC controversy. it's fine, Roberto and Dr Reyes don't look how they're supposed to. Understood, acknowledged.

And no Karma is meh...

That out of the way - this trailer is FANTASTIC and I'm especially worshipping this rendition of Magik
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY