Page 305 of 386 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Buuuut they are...right?

As a card carrying member of the Creek Nation (not that makes me an expert) Ill say it's a lil of both. But I frequent a couple of Native sites and celebrity "PretIndians" get called out a lot. As soon as this casting was announced People were asking what was her tribe and got no response. Not saying that a person owes strangers a run down of their ancestry but when chosen to play a native role over other native girls whose tribe is public knowledge. Confirming that you're the real deal is just good manners. Also Boone put his foot in his mouth....

You being serious with that wiki screen shot?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Buuuut they are...right?
    No, they aren't. Who am I to judge what someone is or isn't?

It's fine to say an actor doesn't look like the character. If I was casting New Mutants, I wouldn't have cast Henry. But I didn't see the auditions. Maybe he's an amazing actor and perfect for the role. Maybe he was better than everyone else auditioning.

There's got to be some balance between casting an actor that looks perfect for the role and talent. Hugh Jackman is too tall to play Wolverine, but does that matter? If Blu Hunt isn't tall enough, then is that a deal breaker to not cast her? To me, no. But certain elements are fundamental to the character and that's what was missed with Roberto.

Some of the whitewashing backlashes have been completely justified (the Airbender movie) and other have gone too far - for example, the absolute abuse Aurora Perrineau took over being not dark enough to play Shana in the Jem & the Holograms movie. And the real criticism should be that all of those actors were absolutely terrible in the roles. Their difference in skin color wasn't even the biggest problem.

As a card carrying member of the Creek Nation (not that makes me an expert) Ill say it's a lil of both. But I frequent a couple of Native sites and celebrity "PretIndians" get called out a lot. As soon as this casting was announced People were asking what was her tribe and got no response. Not saying that a person owes strangers a run down of their ancestry but when chosen to play a native role over other native girls whose tribe is public knowledge. Confirming that you're the real deal is just good manners. Also Boone put his foot in his mouth....

I think Boone was trying, which was better than other directors like M Night Shyamalan. And it was Blu's big break. She may have fudged the details a little, but it does sound like she has an Native American great-grandfather.

Based on what Maisie said about insisting on a Scottish accent and rewriting her lines to be less American and more Scottish, Boone wasn't being all that comic accurate either about Rahne's dialogue, so I don't buy the idea he was completely insisting on authenticity with the characters. But casting could have be much worse if it was typical studio casting where Ansel Elgort would have been cast as Roberto and Jessica Henwick as Dani.

Man, I hope when we finally get proper MCU Dani one day...

Like, there are actual Northern Cheyenne girls out there they could talk to. I'm sure one of them has the chops to be an actress. Like, go to the tribe, and ask them who among their people would like to audition for the role. Tahnee Robinson looks like she has the goods, but I'm sure there would be someone perfect for the role.

Tahnee Robinson.jpg

38027345_298904114187913_504590375889928192_o.jpg

37190439_285794135498911_7833073049917194240_o.jpg
    Last edited by yogaflame; 02-14-2020 at 01:45 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Based on what Maisie said about insisting on a Scottish accent and rewriting her lines to be less American and more Scottish
    lol, seriously? I guess we should be glad they didn't just yank-wash everyone along with all the white-washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    lol, seriously? I guess we should be glad they didn't just yank-wash everyone along with all the white-washing.
    Well it sounds like they would have, if Massie hadn't insisted otherwise.

BANNED

Buuuut they are...right?

You're using Wikipedia? Both of those comments have since been removed and were likely added as vandalism in the FIRST place.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'm not sure if it's exactly intentional. I think that's just the way Josh writes. Here's what Maisie said:

“I was written very American because (director Josh Boone) wrote it and he’s been very easy whenever we wanted to change dialogue. I didn’t want to make it cringe and be saying ‘aye’ every now and then. I just wanted to make it an authentic accent.”

“(Rahne)’s been here for a little while and the other mutants have been here for a little while, so I think our interpretations of our accents are what we wanted them to be. I went for more of a Highlands accent, although I can tell it sometimes goes a little bit Glasgow, but only people in Scotland would hopefully pick up on that. I always knew she was Scottish so even when I read the first draft, I tried to do it in my head in a Scottish accent so you start thinking in the character’s accent.”

https://heroichollywood.com/maisie-w...utants-accent/
    Maisie has been casting in Stroke-on-Trent for the short film she's producing (with what it seems like an almost entirely female production team) and the effort is being put into casting the roles with actors from that area for authentic accents. So, it's a big deal for her.

But that said, in her younger years she's done some movies with absolutely atrocious attempts at American accents that's probably hindered her ability to get roles more than anything else. That's why I can see Josh or producers not wanting Maisie to try to do a terrible Scottish accent and just use her Bristolian accent (West Country, think pirates and Hagrid. It's the hick accent of the UK) and most people wouldn't notice. And yes, I know some people would be upset. It's the same as the few angry GoT fans upset all the Stark siblings have different accents.

I'm also going to guess Richard Madden (who's from outside Glasgow) was involved in helping Maisie with her Scottish accent since they've remained close even after he left GoT. He was one of the GoT cast members supporting her with her London stage debut last year.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Man, I hope when we finally get proper MCU Dani one day...

Like, there are actual Northern Cheyenne girls out there they could talk to. I'm sure one of them has the chops to be an actress. Like, go to the tribe, and ask them who among their people would like to audition for the role. Tahnee Robinson looks like she has the goods, but I'm sure there would be someone perfect for the role. ]
    Dude right? Like its not like Blu Hunt is fvcking Meryl Streep or anything. Plenty of girls could have been more suited for the part. Devery Jacobs is Queer (Her char in American Gods is 2 spirited) Mohawk, and actually involved, knowledgeable about her Native tribe and culture. Preeetty sure she auditioned not sure what happened there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    You're using Wikipedia? Both of those comments have since been removed and were likely added as vandalism in the FIRST place.
    I meeeean true true. Buuuut her tribal connections were questioned from the jump. She just got cast in a huge superhero film if she was sooo "down" why wouldnt she rep her tribe from the jump? kinda suspect It took like 2 years for Lakota to claim her?? Maybe some monetary incentives were involved??
    I'm not sure if it's exactly intentional. I think that's just the way Josh writes.
    for such a "fan" of New Mutants a lot of the main themes seemed to have gone over his head.
    Maisie has been casting in Stroke-on-Trent for the short film she's producing (with what it seems like an almost entirely female production team) and the effort is being put into casting the roles with actors from that area for authentic accents. So, it's a big deal for her.

But that said, in her younger years she's done some movies with absolutely atrocious attempts at American accents that's probably hindered her ability to get roles more than anything else. That's why I can see Josh or producers not wanting Maisie to try to do a terrible Scottish accent and just use her Bristolian accent (West Country, think pirates and Hagrid. It's the hick accent of the UK) and most people wouldn't notice. And yes, I know some people would be upset. It's the same as the few angry GoT fans upset all the Stark siblings have different accents.

I'm also going to guess Richard Madden (who's from outside Glasgow) was involved in helping Maisie with her Scottish accent since they've remained close even after he left GoT. He was one of the GoT cast members supporting her with her London stage debut last year.
    Damn. You're commitment to Maise and her career is commendable dude...unwavering
    Last edited by BroHomo; 02-15-2020 at 04:29 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

https://www.deveryjacobs.com/acting

Devery looks and sounds amazing. They should have cast her a few years back when they actually filmed this thing, she would have been a great age for the character.

I thought Devery was great in both The Order and American Gods s2, but like Blu Hunt she is much too short to be the perfect Dani.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I thought Devery was great in both The Order and American Gods s2, but like Blu Hunt she is much too short to be the perfect Dani.
    There have shoes for that....Tom Cruise has plenty
    GrindrStone(D)

new pic Magik

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

new pic Magik
    Damn it's like she stepped right outta Limbo

Ugh!
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

new pic Magik
    As always, thank you for sharing your finds!

Love this so much. Will be interesting to see how they handle Lockheed. I feel like she'll use magical powers to turn her stuffed toy alive, which I'm fine with. I do like that they are giving her layers though. Is she a badass killer? Is she a tortured schoolgirl?
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right