Page 332 of 386 FirstFirst ... 232282322328329330331332333334335336342382 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    A vaccine won't actually help when surveys show over 50% people will refuse to take one. But theaters never closed in Sweden. They're still open. When you realistically look at the death rate, there isn't the need to be hiding in our homes.
    It will help. If 50% of people take a vaccine thats effective, that will greatly reduce the transmission of the virus. With it less prevalent in the environment, those that do manage to get sick, will be able to be treated as hospitals will not be ovewhelmed with it as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It will help. If 50% of people take a vaccine thats effective, that will greatly reduce the transmission of the virus. With it less prevalent in the environment, those that do manage to get sick, will be able to be treated as hospitals will not be ovewhelmed with it as they are now.
    Well, that gets into the estimates of "herd" immunity - whether it's 60% or more or if researchers saying it's as low as 20% are right.

I just worry the vaccine is seen as this panacea which it may not be. And even if the coronavirus is eliminated - there likely will be people freaked out over every person with a cold or allergies for years.

The idea of just flattening the curve so people can go about the lives and make a living - even if that's in the film industry seems to have been forgotten.

Not New Mutants being released is worth anyone's life, but it's not something that Disney cares if they lose money on and even the drive-ins need movies to release.

I’ll be the first to get the vaccine.. if I can. But that’s the problem.. if I can handle whatever side effects come with it. Like if it has dangerous side effects. No thank you. If it’s like the flu vaccine? Sign me up. But till we know anything about it I wouldn’t blindly say I’m getting it.

Now if it turns out to be a non risk vaccine as in it won’t maybe kill me.. 100 percent getting it.

But if the number stays at 33 percent won’t get it even if proven it won’t hurt you.. that would be concerning.

BANNED

A vaccine won't actually help when surveys show over 50% people will refuse to take one. But theaters never closed in Sweden. They're still open. When you realistically look at the death rate, there isn't the need to be hiding in our homes.

I don't think everyone has given up that theaters aren't going reopen. If Marvel Comics announced they were going to just go digital and give up on comic book stores, what would fans think?

The theatrical distribution model is still going to be supported and I do think we will see some theaters opening.

But I know so many people right now who are unemployed and have no idea what they are going to.

And here's what Disney's Bob Chapek said:

I do know someone at one studio and I know what their plans are for the year. But they aren't in the same position Disney is financially. And everything could change depending on what happens with this virus. No one knows what's going to happen in a few months.

People are piling into restaurants reopening and to beaches. And there's going to be those afraid to go. Drive-ins had been doing well (at least Mission Tiki in So Cal, but their numbers are down since their offerings are not that great. I don't think any studios will waste a major release, but they'll toss the theaters that are open a bone.
    Disney/no one is going to waste millions in p&a for a couple of theaters in South Carolina and wherever else. Our marketing campaigns are planned months and months in advance. Actors schedules are also highly considered in strategy. Public perception even more so. A beach is not the same thing as an enclosed movie theater. The people(idiots) at diners are getting infected, no doubt.

The “death rate” of a new virus is still developing and it unwise to write it off. I understand everyone handles fear and uncertainty differently, and I’m not suggesting we have to hide.

Our release models will change because of this, and that’s okay. Change happens with every industry.

EDIT TO ADD -you would be wise to be wary of shareholder calls. LOL. They, and reality, very rarely add up.
    Last edited by PANDEMONIUM; 05-12-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PANDEMONIUM View Post
    Disney/no one is going to waste millions in p&a for a couple of theaters in South Carolina and wherever else. Our marketing campaigns are planned months and months in advance. Actors schedules are also highly considered in strategy. Public perception even more so. A beach is not the same thing as an enclosed movie theater. The people(idiots) at diners are getting infected, no doubt.

The “death rate” of a new virus is still developing and it unwise to write it off. I understand everyone handles fear and uncertainty differently, and I’m not suggesting we have to hide.

Our release models will change because of this, and that’s okay. Change happens with every industry.
    The tv spots are already finished. They likely weren't doing more. While Variety and THR have said studios only need a few weeks to start-up, that might depend on when the stay-at-home order is lifted and whether they need to finish more spots. And Texas is the biggest state to reopen. It's not just middle of nowhere fly-over states.

There's no way that the actors would do a press tour, but that was questionable to begin with. Easily the cast can do press via Zoom. But there has been jokes about doing events at Mission Tiki and even premieres, so it might be actually a fun option.

While there were some press appearances scheduled, I don't think Disney/Fox was actually going to spend much on P&A for New Mutants. They finished six spots. There were no billboards I saw in LA. They did two posters. They flew the cast out to NYC to do a press event, but if there would have actually been a junket is questionable.

There were tv spots airing even up to the day after the release was pulled - which some people actually questioned how much of an ad spend there would be for New Mutants. But they could do a primarily digital campaign. The likely have material already produced which could be released online.

Theater owners want a big marketing push to get people back into theaters to see Tenet or Mulan. That isn't going to be New Mutant's campaign. But it's something more than the IFC Films currently in release.

Wisconsin is the next state to allow Drive In theaters, but I don't think regular theaters are a part of their plan to reopen things.

Not that I want this to de-volve into Corona talk... but everyone needs to stop thinking in a vacuum. Yes we have people demanding for reopening and attending protests, and people who have lost jobs and are concerned for their future, we have businesses who are faced with open doors or close them forever. The farther away from a large metro you see plenty of areas that have zero cases (or very few). These are the folks most likely to protest and raise the demands to their local governments. There are some smaller towns who haven't seen a single death or infection of someone under the age of 70. These are the areas full of understandably upset people who just want to get back to work.

However in large metros we have those that can work from home that are not financially effected by this outside of not being able to spend their money the same way. We have those that are leery of a second/third wave and won't go out even if their state gives the all clear. We also have those businesses who absolutely don't want to be the first to open their doors to make them potentially liable for any employees and shoppers who could contract the virus.

On top of that, we now are hearing rural areas that were previously "no or low case" areas becoming active with the virus because people went into the city to attend one of these protest rallies in larger cities and brought the virus back home. We're also learning that non-high risk people who contracted the virus two months ago ARE STILL FEELING EFFECTS from it to such a degree that they wouldn't be able to go to work anyway. Heck just the news that ONE person spread the virus to 80 individuals in Korea after the nightclubs opened back up shows you just how crazy this situation still can turn out to be. It just shows you how much we don't know, which is why businesses are being cautious.

Personally, as someone who works closely with my company's Incident Response unit I think you'll be seeing small businesses opening to the public out of need to generate funds, but there are plenty of larger businesses that won't till late summer or fall regardless of their local government's stance. This includes movie studios, who don't want to be the first in line to release a title that forces movie theaters to open to the public and potentially help spread the virus. We'll be lucky to see this film in the theater before the year end, if at all.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Amazing Member

now due to arrive in theaters Aug 28th

Quote Originally Posted by Meta jon View Post
    now due to arrive in theaters Aug 28th
    I doubt it

They just posted to social media the new date. But yeah, I highly doubt theaters will be open then. If they are I'll happily attend, but I would rather just see it on VOD at this point.

Social media accounts for New Mutants have been updated with the new date.
    https://twitter.com/NewMutantsFilm

It's the week before A Quiet Place 2 on Labor Day. While there's considerable talk about Texas, Georgia and other states which have reopened having major theater chains opened by the 4th of July. If that doesn't happen, then Labor Day might end up being the big relaunching. But at least some of the theater chains will have filed bankruptcy by that point.

In terms of reopening, there's at least 10 more indoor theaters reopening next week and a handful more drive-ins in the US. Theaters in Norway have reopened with very low capacity, and Czech Republic's theaters are set to reopen this week. Germany is also allowing some theaters to open on May 30th. The UK may reopen theaters as early as the end of June, and Ireland in August.(Link).
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 05-13-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Groundhog Day but with Mutants

In terms of reopening, there's at least 10 more indoor theaters reopening next week and a handful more drive-ins in the US. Theaters in Norway have reopened with very low capacity, and Czech Republic's theaters are set to reopen this week. Germany is also allowing some theaters to open on May 30th. The UK may reopen theaters as early as the end of June, and Ireland in August.(Link).
    Oh my concern isn't that there are theaters reopening... it's whether or not they will still be open by the time end of Aug rolls around.

We're seeing second waves in countries that opened everything back up too quickly, and there is a very good chance that will happen in the US as well.

I am so curious to see this movie now, mostly because I think it looks good but a significant part of me wants to see it because of how often we've been told its coming out only to have it yanked away again lol.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    They just posted to social media the new date. But yeah, I highly doubt theaters will be open then. If they are I'll happily attend, but I would rather just see it on VOD at this point.
    Theaters will be open in Europe and Asia. I already got a mail from my theater (which is the only theater chain in my country) they’re reopening June 1.

Won't believe it until I am actually sitting in the theater.