Page 299 of 386 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 5790
    Last edited by juan678; 01-28-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Maisie has had some less than stellar attempts at American accents on indie films when she was younger (with no formal accent training), so I can see the producers/director not wanting to risk a failed Scottish one. Sophie struggled with her American accent at times but that was required. They couldn't make Jean British. Most of the audience wouldn't see a problem with Rahne having a Bristolian British accent.
    I'm sure a lot of fans would have an issue with a Bristolian Rahne. Scottish isn't a difficult accent and most British people will have been exposed to it. Also, there aren't many Scottish mutants. A lot of fans from Scotland might be aggrevated to have their moment on the screen given to the English, given the issues a lot have with England.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Love it. Also if you notice (like someone did on Twitter) there are two buildings likely the Kremlin and Saint Basil's on the left wall and then on the right are crags and a Castlevania like castle which is likely Limbo/Belasco's castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Love it. Also if you notice (like someone did on Twitter) there are two buildings likely the Kremlin and Saint Basil's on the left wall and then on the right are crags and a Castlevania like castle which is likely Limbo/Belasco's castle.
    I would never have noticed that. That's a very neat detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I'm sure a lot of fans would have an issue with a Bristolian Rahne. Scottish isn't a difficult accent and most British people will have been exposed to it. Also, there aren't many Scottish mutants. A lot of fans from Scotland might be aggrevated to have their moment on the screen given to the English, given the issues a lot have with England.
    Oh yeah, let's make sure Scottish people are honored distinctly from English people, but never mind the Afro-LatinX characters....
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    this is beyond precious. kind of want him to be my gramps

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    this is beyond precious. kind of want him to be my gramps
    It's rare to see him happy. He usually complains about how comic book writers ruin his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Chris Claremont has spoken! I intend to reserve my ticket for opening night.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Looks like the cast and director are in NYC this weekend for interviews/junkets. That's good news, as Disney wouldn't waste their time with such things if they had completely written off this film.
    They have not completely written of the movie but they have definitely written off the sequels or planned trilogy. I just saw the latest poster of skeletons.

Disney must be grinding their teeth promoting this movie as the concept is so not in their basic formulic structure of making movies that x-men clearly does not belong in. Even if the film flops and its good, they better put it on Hulu ASAP.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-28-2020 at 06:04 PM.

It's going to be distributed through Fox. There are quite a few on the slate for this year. After this year, though, all the Fox projects still in the pipeline at the time of the acquisition will be done.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    British people will have been exposed to it. Also, there aren't many Scottish mutants. A lot of fans fr Scotland might be aggrevated to have their moment on the screen given to the English, given the issues a lot have with England.
    If 'Fans' find Wolfsbane's accent is the most aggrevating thing about this movie..?.
    1. Their fan status is immediate put on suspect
    2. Are so obtuse they've gone full circle
    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Oh yeah, let's make sure Scottish people are honored distinctly from English people, but never mind the Afro-LatinX characters....
    It's kinda funny how unironically jerkish this whole movie has been

#stoned
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post

It's kinda funny how unironically jerkish this whole movie has been

#stoned
    Maisie said Rahne was written incredibly American - since that's the way Josh writes. She changed her dialogue to be more Scottish because that's how the character is supposed to be to be comic accurate and linguistically accurate.

That's just how Maisie is. At 12, she told the stunt coordinators on Game of Thrones she had do all her swordwork left-handed because Arya is left-handed. Even though she's right-handed. And she had contacts which prevented her from seeing when she did the fight sequences when Arya was blind. The kid is a method actor.

But what was Henry Zaga supposed to do - say he wasn't right for a role that's his big break? For characters to be accurate, it really takes some effort from the actors if the writers and producers aren't also committed to it.

Slightly off topic, but Maisie is in a Superbowl ad for Audi which is awesome.

Yeah I'm absolutely conflicted on this whole debacle as being someone who's a fan and has worked in theater. Should they have aggressively looked for someone with darker skin tone for Roberto? Yeah, I do think this. However I also know logistically it's not always that easy and sometimes you really have to go with the worst case/best case for situations like this. I think skin color aside, Zaga looks like he's got Berto's swagger and charm and I think it's great he's at least regionally appropriate. For that I begrudgingly accept the casting even as it pains me that it's caused issues. But I'm completely boggled about Reyes. It's possible they didn't want to make a "black woman villain" for the film, but if that's the case it's a flimsy reason and only makes the casting that they did for Berto look worse. I have no doubt they should have and easily could have kept her race-appropriate.

As for the others, I actually love Masie and Anya for the roles (Masie was the first person I thought of for dream casting Wolfsbane). Blu I'll need to see in action but I'm glad that she's at least properly AI (regardless of skin color, which I know several people think she looks too white), and Charlie.... yeah sure, okay... but I want to see some bro love between him and Zaga and make sure he's properly awkward for the part.

It's tough. I don't blame those who are wanting to "throw this movie into the fire" and boycott. I also applaud them for their voices and making sure they are heard, as I try to back them up whenever I see people on Reddit or whatever telling them to "get over it." But yeah, I still have waited 30+ years for this film to be made and I cannot deny how excited I am to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I wasn't speaking to that. Absolutely, I agree Roberto was miscast. It's an erasure of the character in his origin and the people who identified (and continue to identify him). However, you can't complain about one form of erasure and then dismiss another. Wolfsbane's Scottish heritage is a defining trait of the character, it's more than just an accent.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    If 'Fans' find Wolfsbane's accent is the most aggrevating thing about this movie..?.
    1. Their fan status is immediate put on suspect
    2. Are so obtuse they've gone full circle
    Again, dismissive. Scottish heritage and culture is more than just an accent. Wolfsbane's entire self-loathing, Presbyterian-focused abusive storylines are defining of the character. It's a remnant of faith and oppression that's prevalent in Scotland (and Northern Ireland) that doesn't appear in the more liberally overseen Church of England. As does the isolation she endured in Ross and Cromarty - which doesn't work in England. They aren't the same for many reasons.

I understand the frustration that Roberto has been miscast. I don't agree with it either, but you can't just dismiss the other cultural backgrounds within the United Kingdom as "Oh it's fine, they're all British". They aren't all British. That's an identity a lot of people in the UK's other countries don't like, want or appreciate. Hence why they have their own nationalities, traditions and backgrounds - with Scotland being Gaelic and England being Saxon for a start.