Page 296 of 386 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 5790
    Extraordinary Member

No one was expecting this to make a billion even if it came out when it was originally supposed to in 2018 and was universally adored by critics and fans then. The X-Men films have never been the biggest earners in the first place, and New Mutants was a relatively low-budget affair. If it ends up with numbers like Dark Phoenix that would probably be considered a success. If word of mouth is positive I could see this having good legs and lasting in theaters a while in the top ten, but it was never going to be a juggernaut even if all the stars aligned to give it the best chance possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    For those that are interested, from what I know, this is the most accurate article about the drama related to New Mutants:

https://www.tracking-board.com/insid...ber-exclusive/

Excerpts:

And by "horror movie", they mean more of a horror movie than it was. Everyone's definition of "horror movie" is different. Look at The Grudge reboot getting an F CinemaScore. It's not that bad of a movie. It's just whether it fits horror fans' expectations. And PG-13 horror flicks made for teens... that's not going to be horror enough for most horror fans.

Too many of the articles and reaction videos I've seen perpetuate the idea that New Mutants was plagued with production problems, reshoots and that the movie was somehow bad. That isn't the case. It's always tested well. And there weren't even pickups reshoots. They couldn't get the cast back together - Season 8 of Game of Thrones is more to blame than Disney or Fox for that.

The only delay that really is to blame on Disney is bumping it from August 2019. Prior to that, the delays all involved Fox. At the same time Disney delayed Artemis Fowl to a better release date but you don't see any speculation online that it was due to the movie being bad or that Artemis will get dumped to streaming.

It's not like Disney dumped New Mutants to January or something. The release date is in time for spring break and it actually could hurt Mulan's box office.
    So why didn't get released? The trailers did good, It tested well,There was no real problems why didn't Fox release it on time? Why didn't Disney release it on time? The hey it things were really all better we think and not so bad is a level spin by pr. It was in Disney best interest to put it out just like they did with Dark Phoenix and give the X-men franchise clean start away from Fox properties and Disney didn't put it out. Disney nor Fox never displayed confidence in movie which is in line with their actions of not releasing movie. If the movie was actually good and tested good why just not put out on of the release dates before?

In looking at release date, It looks like they quietly put the movie out to die. If it doesn't do well they can go well the competition in the box office was tight and blame the lack of success competition and not it being a bad movie. We see every this once a while when a movie studio weirdly puts a movie with a decent budget around a blockbuster movie so they don't have explain why it didn't do better. I asked it before why wasn't this movie slated for Sept/oct release

Sept 25 - Last night in Soho
    Oct 2-Bios
    Oct 9- Death on Nile,Witches
    Oct 16- Halloween Kills, Gi Joe Vigilant
    Oct 23- Everybody talking about Jamie
    Oct 30-Literally nothing is listed yet

March 20 Quiet place 2
    March 27 Mulan
    April 3 New Mutants
    April 10 No Time Die aka James Bond

You tell me which one makes more sense a horror movie in Oct against those movies or where they have it? There is literally one bad weekend in Oct, the 16.It is one thing to defend the movie I get it we are all X-men fans but you can see what is happening right? Anyways I keeping on saying I really sincerely hope New Mutants does well the criticism or complaints isn't because I want the movie to fail.

PS Artemis Fowl got put on the weekend after as Fast and Furious 9 and weekend before Wonder Woman, They are putting it out of its misery as well.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-09-2020 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    No one was expecting this to make a billion even if it came out when it was originally supposed to in 2018 and was universally adored by critics and fans then. The X-Men films have never been the biggest earners in the first place, and New Mutants was a relatively low-budget affair. If it ends up with numbers like Dark Phoenix that would probably be considered a success. If word of mouth is positive I could see this having good legs and lasting in theaters a while in the top ten, but it was never going to be a juggernaut even if all the stars aligned to give it the best chance possible.
    I think its going to be down to the word of mouth, which I will get too further. if the word of mouth is good, the movie will have legs. make maybe a 100+ million in the USA. 300m world wide. I will be happy with spiderman into the spidervese numbers if the movie has the same kind of conventional reception.
    But again, I will keep on saying it, Disney should promote the film. which they are not doing.

The word of mouth can get tricky and dishonest a lot of these critics are still biased. Critics may still not want to be fully honest about the film because if the film is good and they are honest about that, they may have to in the future reject the next xmen movies.

Can you imagine a critic, praising how trauma and depression is treated as joke in an xmen film after watching new mutants? its unthinkable. so there is a lot going against the film, this film is everything, it would have to be extra good for it to get good reviews. just seeing how they dismissed Joker and Venom unfairly.

Bones should be prepared. what the directors of Joker and Venom did was go after the critics and their bias. even directly calling them out for shilling only for a specific kind of comic films. Boones should take the fight to them if he indeed did a good job with new mutants.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-09-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Not sure what Disney can do to avoid traffic for New Mutants besides ANOTHER DELAY.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    1. The horror aspect would be a make or break thing but if the movie can focus more on the trauma of these kids than just using horror tropes of scaring monster dress up, it should be okay. what the grudge and those other pg 13 horror films don't have is a lore. New mutants has a lore rooted in many xmen themes.

Outside from a few graphic sex scenes, Legion on FX could still pass for PG 13 in films. Though I am sure, Hawley will choose R.

2. About the Mulan dates, this is not surprising that Disney would do this. I don't think Disney wants the film to succeed, they may have well planned for Mulan to take it out.

if New mutants succeed, it would hurt their own xmen movies in the future since Disney would want us to pretend X-Men is all bubbily light hearted fun, were kids don't have traumas, with new mutants succeeding, Disney won't be able to sell their own xmen films well beyond their bubble.
    That's good, also what is your position on the Disney Fox merger?

BANNED

But again, I will keep on saying it, Disney should promote the film. which they are not doing.
    But they are. To say they're not promoting the movie for which they just released a trailer for is insane.

The word of mouth can get tricky and dishonest a lot of these critics are still biased. Critics may still not want to be fully honest about the film because if the film is good and they are honest about that, they may have to in the future reject the next xmen movies.
    There is no critic in the world who's worried about saying something nice about NM because they think it might somehow force them to give a negative review to a movie that does not even exist yet. That is not a thought any rational person would even have.

Can you imagine a critic, praising how trauma and depression is treated as joke in an xmen film after watching new mutants? its unthinkable. so there is a lot going against the film, this film is everything, it would have to be extra good for it to get good reviews. just seeing how they dismissed Joker and Venom unfairly.
    Did anyone dismiss Joker and Venom "unfairly?" Aren't there many legitimate reasons to dislike and criticize both of those films?

You could very fairly say that Joker is a shallow, derivative Scorsese rip-off given an air of credibility by a strong lead performance and you could just as easily say that Venom was, well, pretty junky overall but again boasted by the lead actor giving the material their all.

Neither of those films are above criticism. And in both cases, mixed reviews certainly didn't put a dent in their box office.

Also, you're imagining the way that trauma and depression will be treated in an X-Men movie that doesn't even exist yet and, in fact, has yet to even be announced.

You're wrapped up in paranoid fantasies rather than dealing with reality. The reality is that no one knows what Marvel's plans for the X-Men are.

Whatever they do regarding the X-Men, it's going to be years from now. What kind of movie NM is, how critics respond to it, how it does at the box office - none of that will impact the future of the X-Men. This film is a holdover from a previous regime. If it's well-received, the studio will be happy because, of course, they don't want a film to flop. If it doesn't, for whatever reason, it's not going to impede future plans for the X-Men. And no critic is even the least bit worried about how their take on NM - whether it be positive or negative - might impact how they respond to another film, whether that other film is a month away or years down the line.

Bones should be prepared. what the directors of Joker and Venom did was go after the critics and their bias. even directly calling them out for shilling only for a specific kind of comic films. Boones should take the fight to them if he indeed did a good job with new mutants.
    As Boone has been very public in expressing his support for the version of the film that Disney is releasing, I'm very sure he's prepared to speak on behalf of his movie.

Above all, I'm sure he's just happy his film is getting a wide release and that audiences will get to see it on the big screen.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 01-09-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Well if anything this week has proven is that people have an appetite for the film now. Granted we're looking at this in a very small vacuum, but any articles or YouTube reactions or online comments I've seen have been 90% "OMG this actually looks good" and they would be fools not to push behind that momentum. Really, we'd be silly to think Disney hasn't been watching people's reaction since they come out looking like the heroes here after word getting out that Fox wanted all the reshoots and caused the resulting drama and delays. Disney helped Boone release his vision, and even the most casual movie fan recognizes that as a fantastic thing.

I fully expect to see shirts at Hot Topic and advertisements in bus shelters aimed at the younger audiences, carefully omitting any mention of X-Men to distance themselves from Fox-Men movies and to hopefully give them a clean start for future options. Maybe some Sienkiewicz art based poster to tap into those random nostalgia folks with maintaining the mood of the film. I also expect them to have some kind of post credits scene to help bridge the gap, even if minimally. Some rando Eternal saying something about their creations awakening or something.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I mean they have to tie into X-mythos in the movie , it's an X-Men spinoff. It'd be insane not to do that at all. Like Magik is Colossus' sister, that should come up somehow. Lockheed being from Kitty maybe should come up (unless the movie changes that to be a Limbo demon I guess).

As for whether this film ties into MCU in a post credit, I wouldn't get my hopes up. My firm assessment is, I'm glad they're releasing it at all but clearly it was meant to introduce these characters and themes for future development in more films that now will almost certainly never occur. So this movie will be quite bittersweet watching particularly if it's enjoyable because it is a "dead end"
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    But they are. To say they're not promoting the movie for which they just released a trailer for is insane.
    I went on marvel.com. this movie is not there. the site mostly has marvel studio stuff and comics about characters Disney has the rights to films. I was expecting to see Illyana's Anna Taylor's face on marvel.com, instead I got Carol Captain Marvel whose movie has been out and done almost a year ago. that and some Disney + plus stuff. No new mutants on marvel.com. it gets worse, in their movie sections, New mutants is not there

https://www.marvel.com/movies

I really don't think Disney cares much.

Also, you're imagining the way that trauma and depression will be treated in an X-Men movie that doesn't even exist yet and, in fact, has yet to even be announced.
    no.
    Whatever they do regarding the X-Men, it's going to be years from now. What kind of movie NM is, how critics respond to it, how it does at the box office - none of that will impact the future of the X-Men. This film is a holdover from a previous regime. If it's well-received, the studio will be happy because, of course, they don't want a film to flop. If it doesn't, for whatever reason, it's not going to impede future plans for the X-Men. And no critic is even the least bit worried about how their take on NM - whether it be positive or negative - might impact how they respond to another film, whether that other film is a month away or years down the line.
    Long time franchise are driving by the impact of their past movies, take Illyana . she is is a kid, who just said she killed 18 men for fun. its terrible but at the same time, its not watered down, it makes you accept how this kids loose their innocence as a result of their mutation. going forward that will impact any xmen movie that has a kid in it.

As Boone has been very public in expressing his support for the version of the film that Disney is releasing, I'm very sure he's prepared to speak on behalf of his movie.

Above all, I'm sure he's just happy his film is getting a wide release and that audiences will get to see it on the big screen.
    Disney can show him more support by letting him go on a press tour but let's be honest, the only thing that will make bonnes happy, is for the movie to succeed and he gets his trilogy. remember this movie is meant to be a first of a trilogy.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-09-2020 at 08:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Well if anything this week has proven is that people have an appetite for the film now. Granted we're looking at this in a very small vacuum, but any articles or YouTube reactions or online comments I've seen have been 90% "OMG this actually looks good" and they would be fools not to push behind that momentum. Really, we'd be silly to think Disney hasn't been watching people's reaction since they come out looking like the heroes here after word getting out that Fox wanted all the reshoots and caused the resulting drama and delays. Disney helped Boone release his vision, and even the most casual movie fan recognizes that as a fantastic thing.

I fully expect to see shirts at Hot Topic and advertisements in bus shelters aimed at the younger audiences, carefully omitting any mention of X-Men to distance themselves from Fox-Men movies and to hopefully give them a clean start for future options. Maybe some Sienkiewicz art based poster to tap into those random nostalgia folks with maintaining the mood of the film. I also expect them to have some kind of post credits scene to help bridge the gap, even if minimally. Some rando Eternal saying something about their creations awakening or something.
    They aren’t going to spend money on merch.

Amazing Member

I went on marvel.com. this movie is not there. the site mostly has marvel studio stuff and comics about characters Disney has the rights to films. I was expecting to see Illyana's Anna Taylor's face on marvel.com, instead I got Carol Captain Marvel whose move has been out and done almost a year ago. that and some Disney + plus stuff. No new mutants on marvel.com.

and it gets worse, even in their movie sections, New mutants is not there

I really don't think Disney cares much

no.

Long time franchise are driving by the impact of their past movies, take Illyana . she is is a kid, who just said she killed 18 men for fun. its terrible but at the same time, its not watered down, it makes you accept how this kids loose their innocence as a result of their mutation. going forward that will impact any xmen movie that has a kid in it.

Disney can show him more support by letting him go on a press tour but let's be honest, the only thing that will make bonnes happy, is for the movie to succeed and he gets his trilogy. remember this movie is meant to be a first of a trilogy.
    They are gonna be part of the MCU, deal with it, and also Deadpool!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    They aren’t going to spend money on merch.
    Places like Hot Topic and Box Lunch have Marvel merch in dedicated areas. After the merge, X-Men stuff started showing up on the regular and Dark Phoenix had some character stuff that showed up without actually being movie tie ins. I could see them doing a similar strategy here. Put the classic Demon Bear image on a shirt and the nostalgia adults will gobble it up regardless if they movie tanks or not. I mean these places have freaking X-Men socks, so it's not like it's out of character for them.

BANNED

I went on marvel.com. this movie is not there. the site mostly has marvel studio stuff and comics about characters Disney has the rights to films. I was expecting to see Illyana's Anna Taylor's face on marvel.com, instead I got Carol Captain Marvel whose movie has been out and done almost a year ago. that and some Disney + plus stuff. No new mutants on marvel.com. it gets worse, in their movie sections, New mutants is not there

I really don't think Disney cares much.
    Merchandise and movie promotion are two different things. Merchandise involves deals that are set up long in advance.

NM is a film that was essentially dropped in Disney's lap. They didn't initiate it, they had no say in its production and had no way to set up early plans to merchandise it in the way that they would with an in-house production.

That doesn't mean they don't care if it succeeds as a film.

And, being that it isn't a part of the MCU, it makes sense that they wouldn't promote it on the Marvel site.

If they put out effective trailers and there is a strong TV ad campaign, that's proof of their commitment to the film's success.

For some fans, nothing Disney does with this film will be enough for them. If Disney had released it onto streaming services, as some speculated that they would, it would have been proof that Disney didn't care. Now that they're actually giving it a major theatrical release, the accusation is that they're not promoting it enough.

no.
    You - nor anybody else - has any idea what the MCU X-films will be like.

Any claims as to what they'll be is strictly fantasy at this point.

No, it won't. Nothing in NM has to affect anything beyond it.

NM won't be a "past movie" for the MCU X-Men anymore than the rest of the Fox X-films.

Also, you're simply engaging in groundless speculation about what the MCU X-Men films will be like.

None of us know Boone personally enough that we know "the only thing" that will make him happy.

But from his standpoint as a filmmaker, I expect he's happy that the film is coming out in theaters, and that it - as he says - represents his original vision.

Anything else is out of his control. While NM might have been meant to be the first of a trilogy, I expect he is a reasonable adult and knows that the situation has changed.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 01-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.

the casting should be criticised when necessarily, however the casting cant objectively decide the outcome of the film.
    when should you necessarily criticize a cast?

if you are okay with black magneto marvel, then you should also be okay with the race cast for new mutants. Be consistent in your race casting criticism.
    Do you not know for reals? How its different?
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    when should you necessarily criticize a cast?

Unnecessary white washing should be criticised. Many X-Fans are right to say they should have been darker actors, however trying to use that to want to derail the movie for the ''OTHER'' reason not worth mentioning under the disguise of white washing is laughable.

Do you not know for reals? How its different?
    When its a different studio?

More importantly, the worst thing that can happen is putting two minorities groups against the other or replacing one minority group for another. replacing a Jewish person with a black person when their Jewish ethnicity is very important to their story is far worse than the typical white washing. I have dealt with this before when I see some people in other fandoms trying to make a slash paring Canon aka turning two established straight characters to gay, even if it meant the slash paring will be destroying a black/white interracial relationship. this does not work.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-09-2020 at 09:53 AM.