Page 304 of 386 FirstFirst ... 204254294300301302303304305306307308314354 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 5790

The girl they got for Magik is not Russian. Massie is not Scottish. Sam's actor doesn't look like Sam and isn't even American, let along Appalachian. So no, casting a white guy from Brazil was not the right way to go for Roberto, nor the actress for Cece. Blu might have some Native ancestry, but she just doesn't have the look or presence Dani needs. Dani needs to look like she could beat you up. She was the second tallest out of the group other than Sam.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 02-07-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Nationality and accents are entirely different than race and to create some false equivalency between them is ludicrous.

Disney should get Brad Pitt to play Luke Cage. They’re both Americans, so it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    One more time for the people in the back.

This is Sunspot's first appearance.
    His father’s money can’t change the color of his skin but Josh Boone and Fox can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    Sunspot is half white, so they didn't get the race "completely wrong", they got it half wrong.

As for Zaga as Roberto, I agree he's not half black like Roberto. They did get the nationality right, and I think they actually got half of his race right, since he is Brazilian
    Dude what?? Do YOU understand that 'Brazilian' doesnt describe a person's race??? Sunspot's Black Dad is the one from Brazil...so his national identity comes from his Black Dad not his white mother

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Almost 50% of the Brazilian population is white. Zaga has white privilege. Someone with white privilege shouldn't be playing Sunspot.
    THIS is the most True thing Ive seen concerning this casting....Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    The whitewashing debate goes too far when actors who are biracial are being attacked for being not dark enough.
    Who's Biracial??
    Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    To be fair, I don't think anyone here is blaming Zaga. It's the casting agent and director that should have either pushed harder for a more diverse pool of actors, or not be swayed by a new young "up and coming" pretty face.
    Ugh I knoooow. when it was revealed Boone was directing sooooo many people following his various social media accounts reminded him that Bobby was black. Boone eventually responded to a few that he was aware of this and yet....This BullSh!t. Giving how rampant discrimination based on skin color is over there Sunspots casting is the perfect example of perpetuating racist ideas through irresponsible ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Agreed. I'm sure Henry isn't taking these things to heart and if anything possibly was motivated to nail Bobby's personality.
    He's likely defuse the accusations that he once again is cast as a character in a role that coulda went to minority....in this case a deaf person from that Stephen King book

Again, an almost correct statement. I only hear people acknowledging the Afro part, but not the Taino part (which are indigenous Indians, not Africans)... that part adds a dark pigment to skin tones too... you guys know that right? The Caribbean islands have hundreds and hundreds of years of racial mixing, and although there is a prominent Afro component, there are other races with dark or black skin tones to factor, so it would be presumptuous to assume Cece was JUST black, and not mixed, racially-speaking. She could be bi-racial or even tri-racial (having Taino, Spanish and Afro ancestry in her genes, like most Puerto Rican’s Ricans do) Just like how folks
    Taino Indians. Indigenous Caribbeans. Arawakans. Look them up, remember the terms and learn about the historically complicated racial makeup of the Caribbeans. Folks on this board should learn about them so they stop being reductive and confusing all black/dark skinned people as having Afro descent.
    Not sure how much particpation the Taino did in that hundreds of years of racial mixing considered 90% of their population died out in the span of 50 or so years.
    You're saying CeCe's dark skin is due to her Maaaybe being descended from people who were fundamentally wiped out hundreds of years ago? Lawd! No where is it stated in canon CeCe is mixed. Her parents could very well be 2 black puerto ricans. Not sure why you're so quick to point out CeCe's unconfirmed Taino ancestry but seem blind her obviously having predominantly African ancestry.....Do you know the race of the other X-Men? since you apparently don't go by what they look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It’s one simple question and a yes/no answers it.

Is Henry Zaga black?

The answer is no. This cheap moral diversion away from Fox constantly misrepresenting black characters is doing nothing but allowing these directors to keep getting away with racist casting choices. No one has been “attacked” for not being dark enough, but there is systemic colorism that robs dark skin actors and actresses of roles by giving them to white-passing or light skin POC
    Ugh gah I shoulda kept reading lol But YAS! to this post. Most of these people seem ignorant about Brazil having a huge Black population and the racism/colorism that affects not only the Afro-Brazilians but apparently affects the rest of the world as the idea of a Black Brazilian is unfathomable to an alarming large number of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Zaga is black.
    You're like the Keri Strugg of mental Gymnastics. Congrats!
    naccurately categorize Roberto as just black. He is black, but he is also multi-racial with a black dad and white mom, half and half, equally. His Afro Brazilian dad could be just black, he could be mixed with other dark skinned races, which makes the black pigmentation in his genes more dominant and that’s why Roberto is predominantly dark skinned, even though he’s half white. .
    Yes! It has to be another race other than black thats the cause of Bobby's black skin color, because Brazil has a booming population of these mysterious dark-skinned people....
    #smdh YOU do know outside Africa Brazil has the largest population of Black people?

And just like how people confuse my very dark skinned Dominican boyfriend who grew up in NYC as a black man - although he acknowledges that there is Afro lineage within him (from generations ago), but does not identify as a black/african american man. Other people might infer that of him based on his skin color, but it's not accurate. He has other races mixed in his blood (we've done the DNA test and percentage wise, he is less than 1/3 of afro decent ).
    Hmmm If he's anywhere approaching 1/3 black It didnt come from than his black ancestry is a loooooot more recent than 'generations ago' Can I ask how your bf identifies himmself as? And exactly why Black (as it describes his skin) American doesn't fit for him. And why is it such a big problem if strangers see him as black ?
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

I have not wrote in this thread in a long time and i had funny feeling someone will bring up real world events when it comes to race or ethnic groups in fictional fantasy universes.
    Keep in mind superhero comics is fantasy and sci-fi,not stories about what has happen in the real world.
    Folks want to escape from real world stuff and history as much as possible.

And just like how people confuse my very dark skinned Dominican boyfriend who grew up in NYC as a black man - although he acknowledges that there is Afro lineage within him (from generations ago), but does not identify as a black/african american man. Other people might infer that of him based on his skin color, but it's not accurate. He has other races mixed in his blood (we've done the DNA test and percentage wise, he is less than 1/3 of afro decent )
    When cops arrest someone or looking for someone they will describe what that person racially looks like and is.
    If a person is put down as black they are black.
    If they do not look black and is part black they could identity has black or not.
    It's up to the person.
    Cops or anyone else do not know someone's dna or family history if they met someone for the first time or walking down the street etc..
    Phenotype counts more then dna.
    That's just how it is in real world.

Cece was JUST black, and not mixed, racially-speaking. She could be bi-racial or even tri-racial (having Taino, Spanish and Afro ancestry in her genes, like most Puerto Rican’s Ricans do)
    There is no proof that Cece is bi-racial or tri-racial in the marvel comics universe.
    Now they have shown her father and he looks black.
    I looked for pictures for her mom and so far i have seen no pics of her.
    Anyway so far she is just a black latina with no proof she is bi-racial or tri- racial.
    You can't play the guessing game in comics or even the real world,but comics is a different universe, so even more so that game can't be played.
    You have to deal with what is known of the character in canon right there only.

Just like how folks inaccurately categorize Roberto as just black. He is black, but he is also multi-racial with a black dad and white mom, half and half, equally. His Afro Brazilian dad could be just black, or he could be mixed with other dark skinned races, which makes the black pigmentation in his genes more dominant and that’s why Roberto is predominantly dark skinned, even though he’s half white. And just like how people confuse my very dark skinned
    Tunasammiches your mistake is assuming that all events in the real world or our universe is the same in marvel or dc universes(comics,games,movies etc..),or even g.i. joe,transformers or star trek.

Marvel,dc or other fictional superhero comics for example have never shown anyone to be tri- racial by the way so don't assume someone is tri-racial or bi-racial just because the majority of a population is or could be that way in real life in certain countries.

Even if most puerto rican blacks in the marvel 616 universe for example were bi-racial that does not mean cece is bi-racial.
    She is a superhero and a mutant,and those two groups are a minority or a small population in 616 marvel anyway.
    Anyway there is no proof or evidence in the marvel universe that most black puerto ricans are bi-racial.
    So far most are not and enough of them have not been shown anyway.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Puerto_Ricans

Keep in mind most Latinos for example are classified as white in the u.s but most in the dc and marvel have been shown to be poc and not or not classified as white.
    Some here is confusing real world history with marvel and dc history.

Earths like marvel and dc have influences from aliens before pre-historic times by the way so anyone expecting it be like our universe or the real world is kidding themselves.
    It's fantasy sci-fi comics, not real history comics.
    There is no evidence that cecilia reyes is tri-racial or bi-racial even if she is a black puerto rican.

So saying unmixed black puerto ricans are the minority in our universe does not mean it's the case in dc and marvel universe.
    Not same universes.
    There was way less rape in Puerto rico in the marvel and dc comicbook universes,mcu,fox marvel,dceu etc..,so that's an example of what i am talking about.
    Sunspot is a bi-racial black and his father is black period.
    One is fantasy,sci-fi and escapism(marvel,dc,image etc..)the other is not(our universe or earth).

Marvel,dc etc.. do not do tri-racial.
    By the way in the marvel and dc universes,there is no such thing a white that is 70% white,a black that is 92.6% black,native american 40.1% native american or east asian that is 80% east asian.
    So get that thinking out your head.
    Characters are either 100% or 50%.
    Most are 100%.
    There are a few that are 25% of something by the way.
    The rules for dna is different then real world or our universe anyway.
    If someone east asian has a great grandfather who is white that person could still be all east asian if thier descendants keep marrying all east asian dna types.
    For comics(superhero/sci-fi stuff for example) it does not take a real long time or generations (6 or 8 or something like that)to breed out other races dna like it would in the real world.
    In comics it takes way less time,because the rules,laws etc..are different(and to keep it simple as possible by the way for the writers).

This is the marvel universe,not the real world or our world universe.
    If cece was a bi-racial black the writers would let us know like they did with sunspot or comicbook marvel 616 blade in the 2000's or miles morales.
    Heck there is a marvel universe where the earth is all black and superheroes in u.s. are only black.
    No whites,browns,no bi-racial blacks etc..
    In dc there is a earth were the humanoids are only blue and in another universe earth 2, south africa was free in 1940's.
    I hope you get the point.

I posted this awhile ago and i will post everything i give you a idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Don't assume that sunspot's father is bi-racial as well.
    Lets' not play the guessing game when it comes to comics.
    Sunspot father in the comics is all black.
    They don't go into his history so that's true but if he looks black in comics then that's what he is until his history is mention if he has a white father or mother himself like they did with 616 blade.
    In blade's case it was shown that his biological father is white.

So while there was slavery in main dc and marvel universes,rape was not widespread as it was in the real world,racism is not as strong etc..
    Keep in mind in dc,marvel,image,idw etc.. comicbook universes the history is different and those are different earths and universes.
    So while most folks are human in dc and marvel's earth,they are still aliens.
    Alien meaning they are not native to our earth.
    Marvel and dc's earths are bigger then our earth for example.
    Aliens have come to earth before there was human civilizations.
    There are civilizations that exist in marvel and dc earths that do not exist on our earth.
    Most Marvel and dc earths that i am aware of are more advance then our earth.
    Could be all of them,but i am not sure yet.
    DC and Marvel are alternate universes.

Of course writers jobs is to focus on superhero stories and not bring in to much real world stories,politics,dna stuff etc.. in comics.Besides the comic industry and many of the characters were created before most folks knew anything about dna etc..,so writers in the past and today still keep it simple as much as possible when it comes to background, history etc..
    Last edited by mace11; 02-09-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I posted this awhile ago.

The actress playing Cecilia looks like a brown latino.
    She does not look white to me.
    She is near white but not white.
    The actor playing sunspot could be white however.

Oh and should check out the history of marvel and dc universes for example.
    The histories and events,dna info etc.. is different then our universe or real world.

Marvel
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Realities
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-616
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Multiverse
    Marvel Cinematic Universe
    Earth-199999 | Marvel Database | FANDOM powered by Wikia
    https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Earth-199999

DC
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Universe
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Multiverse
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe
    Last edited by mace11; 02-08-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I was going to post this awhile ago as well.
    Anyway this is more recent.

The New Mutants Trailer Renews Sunspot Whitewashing Controversy

The New Mutants casting has had about as much controversy as its prolonged timeline for release. When the cast list was revealed, fans were quick to notice that Henry Zaga didn't quite match up with the comics' iteration of Sunspot. Now that another trailer has been released, the conversation surrounding the issue has lit up again on social media, garnering all sorts of different reactions.

Click link for pic
    https://static0.cbrimages.com/wordpr...op&w=738&h=369
    To avoid any misinterpretation: No, The New Mutants isn't automatically a horrible movie with nothing good to offer just because of this casting choice. No one is a "bad person" for enjoying the trailer or looking forward to the film. No one is a "bad person" just because they're white. No one is saying that Henry Zaga is an awful actor who should never get work again. These kinds of slippery slope extreme assumptions often lead to people automatically refusing to listen to these conversations. There's plenty of interesting things offered in the trailer, such as the near spot-on portrayal Anya Taylor Joy seems to be giving Magik. However, the casting issues regarding Sunspot (and Cecilia Reyes) are certainly worth the conversation they have sparked on social media amongst comic fans.

To avoid any other misinterpretation: Whitewashing in this conversation is referring to the term Merriam-Webster defines as, "To alter (an original story) by casting a white performer in a role based on a nonwhite person or fictional character." In the context of this conversation, the definition is a bit malleable because, although Henry Zaga isn't totally considered white (his mother is of Native Brazilian ancestry), his casting is nonetheless, inaccurate and part of a larger problem regarding erasure (and colorism) in popular media.

To break down the controversy: Roberto da Costa is Brazilian. Henry Zaga is Brazilian. Roberto da Costa is specifically a black Brazilian man. Henry Zaga is not a black man. Therein lies the context of the arguments being made against his casting for this specific role. Many are quick to point out that anti-black racism was a clear and obvious point in Roberto's backstory. In the first issue of New Mutants, when Roberto's powers first manifested, he was being violently attacked by a group of racist children at a soccer game who specifically targeted him because he was black. Roberto's mother is canonically white, but his father is a black man, this makes him a mixed-race, Afro-Brazilian.

This attack caused Roberto's powers to manifest. In The New Mutants film, they deliberately took this moment out of his backstory. Henry Zaga, the actor who plays Roberto in the film, isn't a black man, so how can he be the recipient of an explicit anti-black attack? He can't. So, the movie gives Roberto a new backstory, erasing any trace of anti-black racism from his narrative. In the trailer, he is seen with the other New Mutants as they discuss where they were when their powers first manifested. This new Roberto burned his girlfriend on accident during an intimate moment. Clearly haunted by the event, he says, "My girlfriend...I burned her..."

Part of the original New Mutants book's goal was to replicate the success of the (at the time) newer incarnation of the X-Men. This group of X-Men was explicitly more diverse, featuring characters of different backgrounds from all over the globe. In the "Giant-Size X-Men" team, Storm was from Africa, Nightcrawler was from Germany, Wolverine was Canadian and Thunderbird was Apache. This uniting of different nationalities, races and ethnicities was one of the many things that set the X-Men apart during this time period. The New Mutants team followed in a similar suit: Wolfsbane was Scottish, Illyana was Russian, Sam was a country boy from America, Mirage was Cheyenne, Karma was Vietnamese and Roberto was Afro-Brazilian. Diversity isn't just important for the New Mutants series conceptually, it's one of the things the team was founded on.
    There are millions of Afro-Latino Brazilians and for a company as well-known as Fox (who initially was responsible for casting since this predates the Disney acquisition), it's not as if taking the steps to hire appropriately would have been impossible. In 2014, Fox made the same mistake by inaccurately casting Roberto for his small part in Days of Future Past. When The New Mutants material began to release, many fans became frustrated because they felt like the company had learned nothing from that previous mistake.

The idea that casting accurately for this role is "too challenging" is kind of lazy. Within the US alone there are millions of Afro-Latino people. And yes, there are tons of Afro-Latino celebrities -- Tessa Thomspon, Alfred Enoch and Tristan Wilds are just a few notable examples. It's not that Afro-Latino actors don't exist, it's that Fox wasn't trying hard enough to find them.

Roberto's casting controversy does raise another important issue: the unfortunate truth is, not many people even know that the character is black. As previously mentioned, Roberto was initially depicted as explicitly, a dark-skinned Afro-Brazilian boy. Compare his initial appearances to how he's looked in some more recent comics, and you can see just how people have drawn the incorrect assumption that he is a light-skinned, nonblack Brazilian character.

Clink link for pic.
    https://static0.cbrimages.com/wordpr...op&w=738&h=369

Similarly (though far less often discussed online) Cecilia Reyes was inaccurately cast. In the comics, Cecilia Reyes is a dark-skinned, black Puerto-Rican woman. In The New Mutants, she will be played by Alice Braga. Needless to say, these two people look nothing alike.

Clink link for pic.

An argument that often comes up is something along the lines of "well, Rahne wasn't cast with a Scottish actress." Yes, Maisie Williams isn't Scottish, but Scottish isn't a racial identity, so the comparison doesn't really stick. There are Scottish people of all sorts of racial backgrounds. Rahne is a white character and Williams is a white actress. To bring up her Scottish roots then isn't an argument about race, it's an argument about nationality. Similarly, Roberto da Costa's nationality is Brazilian. He is culturally Brazilian. He is racially a black man. Zaga may be Brazilian, but he isn't black. Thus, the casting is racially inaccurate. It's important to understand that black people live everywhere --just as there are black Americans, there are black Brazilians and Roberto da Costa is one of them.

Another argument that comes up is the idea that because Zaga is a man of color, his casting is acceptable. Zaga is a man of color, but he is partially Native Brazilian, not black like Roberto. To say any person of color can play the role of another person of color almost implies there are two races: "White" and "Of Color." No one would cast John Cho as the Black Panther just because they're both people of color after all. Each race is different.

To be clear, this conversation is complex, as are all conversations about race and media, but it's worth a deeper examination. Yes, The New Mutants does have plenty to be excited for and isn't automatically this "horrible, no good, bad movie that no one should see." The New Mutants could very well be the best (or one of the best) X-Men movies to date, however, it wouldn't change the fact that the film erased Roberto da Costa's blackness. This blatant miscasting will always be a disappointing truth about the film and it's important to recognize and spread awareness about these things in hopes of inspiring better, more accurate casting in future projects.

In short, it's an important conversation to have and it's far bigger than just The New Mutants film --which is why it keeps coming up across social media and other sites' think pieces.

Directed and co-written by Josh Boone, The New Mutants stars Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane, Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin/Magik, Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie/Cannonball, Henry Zaga as Roberto da Costa/Sunspot, Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar/Mirage and Alice Braga as Dr. Cecelia Reyes. The film arrives in theaters April 3.

https://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-trai...shing-sunspot/

Extraordinary Member

Edited/added info above.

I posted this in the dc thread awhile ago.
    Vanessa Hudgens Joins NBC's DC Universe Comedy "Powerless" in Leading Role
    Hudgens has officially joined the DC Universe.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...n-leading-role

Vanessa Hudgens
    Hudgens was born in Salinas, California, and lived with her parents along the West Coast, from Oregon to Southern California. Her mother, Gina (née Guangco), held a succession of office jobs, and her father, Gregory Hudgens, was a firefighter.She has a younger sister, Stella Hudgens, who is also an actress.She was raised as a Roman Catholic.Her father was of Irish and Native American descent, and her mother, a native of Manila, Philippines, is of Filipino-Chinese-Spanish descent.All of her grandparents were musicians.

Note-
    Vanessa Hudgens
    Keep in mind we do not know what type of character she will be playing yet in the dc show powerless.
    If her background in the show is mention they may/will change(meaning take out) some of her ethnic/racial background in the show to keep it more simple like the comics,movies,animation, and other comicbooks shows etc..since comics,shows,movies,video games and animation are different universes.

For the show she maybe latino,asian or native american or only bi-racial asian or only bi-racial native american etc...
    You get the point.
    Just a warning and don't be surprise if it happens if her background is mentioned in that dc universe show.
    By the way she could end up being a alien or part alien from another planet etc..
    It's a dc fantasy/sci- fi show.
    By the way since then i was right.
    Her character was only part recent east asian and white.
    The native american part was taken out of the show to keep her background as simple as possible.
    (Most Native americans are of east asian origin anyway)

Another is example is halle berry and the actor who played warpath in the fox x-men universe.
    Halle berry is bi-racial black but her character is only black in fox x-men universe and not bi-racial and the actor who played warpath in real life is east asian/native american and white(a bi-racial east asian origin person) but the character is only native american in the fox x-men universe and not bi-racial asian/native american.
    Note-
    By the way i don' t consider native americans of east asian origin as another race.
    Most are still east asians racially.
    I could be wrong but i don't think there is any in the country in the real world or our universe earth that has a majority of tri- racial folks.

Here is more talk about race in comics.

Here is list of bi-racial characters in marvel.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-of-Mixed-Race
    Note- there is more that are not in link above.

THREAD: BLACK PANTHER AND THE CREW CANCELLED WITH ISSUE 6
    http://community.comicbookresources....Issue-6/page13

and
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...h-in-us/page24
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...h-in-us/page25
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...h-in-us/page26
    Last edited by mace11; 02-08-2020 at 02:53 PM.

On social media and in articles about the "whitewashing" there have been images of Blu Hunt next to Dani as an example of whitewashing.

For example - This tweet https://twitter.com/kindlestuck/stat...25875138568192 with the image:

Here's a Facebook post about Blu visiting the Lakota tribe: https://www.facebook.com/Wikoskalaka...49869778463420.

This hasn't gotten as bad as other attacks on actors for being too light with whitewashing allegations (for example, the hate Aurora Perrineau received for Jem & The Holograms), but I get the impression people who are upset are more concerned with skin color than any other element of their character and are being unfair to those of Native ancestry.

I would have preferred Afro-Brazilian actor been cast as Bobby, but at least they cast a Brazilian and an actress with Native American ancestry as Dani. Those are important elements of their characters.

If Maisie couldn't have used her Bristolian accent as Rahne, then if a non-Brazilian actor was cast as Bobby who looked more appropriate, would it be acceptable for Bobby to not have an accurate Brazilian accent?
    Please learn and understand what colorism is.

Ultimate Member

On social media and in articles about the "whitewashing" there have been images of Blu Hunt next to Dani as an example of whitewashing.

If Maisie couldn't have used her Bristolian accent as Rahne, then if a non-Brazilian actor was cast as Bobby who looked more appropriate, would it be acceptable for Bobby to not have an accurate Brazilian accent?
    You would see the same thing. It would be one thing to NOT have actors who are black and Brazilian descent and you went that route. But we have some. While Mack Wilds would probably be too chunky and/or shot for Bobby. Alfred might fit despite not being as dark as Sunspot was designed.

The 2 guys from City of Men could have done it depending on how well their English is.

Or Victor Hugo

There's real difficulty with tracking on a movie like this since it's targeting teens who are ridiculously unreliable about whether they will actually go see a movie when asked if they plan on seeing it or if they are aware of the movie. Considering Birds of Prey is probably looking at at under $40 Million opening (edited to add: yikes, now it's looking like under $35M), it's just too difficult to gauge online interest vs actual ticket sales.

1-how many folks are seeing the movie for FREE? Yes I know of comic book stores that are offering free passes to see that film.

2-where is that film showing? Is it showing in enough locations for folks? One of the reasons I never saw Moonlight or Dear White People is because they did not show ANYWHERE near me. Dallas/Fort Worth is huge yet ONE theater showed them and that was nowhere near the black community.

Get Out was slated to be yanked from a certain theater chain around here after its opening weekend. When it was a hit-guess how many suddenly had showings during the week.

For example - This tweet https://twitter.com/kindlestuck/stat...25875138568192 with the image:

Here's a Facebook post about Blu visiting the Lakota tribe: https://www.facebook.com/Wikoskalaka...49869778463420.

I would have preferred Afro-Brazilian actor been cast as Bobby, but at least they cast a Brazilian and an actress with Native American ancestry as Dani. Those are important elements of their characters.

It's more like a slap in the face as Boone explicitly said he wouldn't Cast a "white model/actress with SOME Native ancestry' yet we got Blu Hunt. Accents are no where near as important a signaler as someone's race. To try and put it on equal footing is *rolls eyes*
    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The girl they got for Magik is not Russian. Massie is not Scottish. Sam's actor doesn't look like Sam and isn't even American, let along Appalachian. So no, casting a white guy from Brazil was not the right way to go for Roberto, nor the actress for Cece. Blu might have some Native ancestry, but she just doesn't have the look or presence Dani needs. Dani needs to look like she could beat you up. She was the second tallest out of the group other than Sam.
    Tell 'em about themselves!!!

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Nationality and accents are entirely different than race and to create some false equivalency between them is ludicrous.

Disney should get Brad Pitt to play Luke Cage. They’re both Americans, so it makes perfect sense.

His father’s money can’t change the color of his skin but Josh Boone and Fox can.
    lol Damn!
    GrindrStone(D)

Maisie was interviewed yesterday at Sky One event:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...mutants-delay/

Speaking to RadioTimes.com and other press at Sky’s Up Next Event, star Williams – who plays Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane – suggested that the merger was a big part of why the film hasn’t been released and dismissed suggestions that it was down to a quality issue.

“It’s been a long time coming, we shot it many years ago, but I’m really proud of it finally coming out,” said the Game of Thrones actress.

“It was a lot to do with the merger, I think it [the film] had a really bad rep and people thought there was going to be something wrong with it, but I honestly think it was just really badly affected by something that was out of our control.”

Williams added that she got to watch the final cut of the movie “a couple of weeks ago” and that she was “really proud” of the finished product.

“There’s so many things about it that are progressive and new for a story of this kind,” she said. “We’ve seen so many superhero films and I think New Mutants really prides itself on being more of a thriller… we’re not heroes, we’re kids that are trying to figure it all out and I think that’s really relatable to the young people of today.”

According to IMDb, Henry's mother is part Native Brazilian.

We have no idea how much, but it doesn't matter. The whitewashing debate goes too far when actors who are biracial are being attacked for being not dark enough.
    So, the character he's playing its half-black, and him being 1/4 native at best is enough?... C'mon. That's not even the same ethnicity/race here.

Do we even know if he's gonna have a brazillian accent? Honestly I feel like most brazillian people who are fluent in english don't have noticeable accents anyway, we're usually taught with american accents as the right way of speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    So, the character he's playing its half-black, and him being 1/4 native at best is enough?... C'mon. That's not even the same ethnicity/race here.
    The problem I have is both Henry and Blu being called "white" due to their appearances.

In the Facebook post with Blu and Lakota tribe members, her skin color is darker than members of the tribe. But should that be used to judge whether someone is or isn't Native American? No. There's a reason Native American tribes won't cooperate with DNA testing services like Ancestry DNA because they don't want membership based on percentage of DNA but instead ties to the community.

The problem I have is both Henry and Blu being called "white" due to their appearances.
    Buuuut they are...right?
    In the Facebook post with Blu and Lakota tribe members, her skin color is darker than members of the tribe. But should that be used to judge whether someone is or isn't Native American? No. There's a reason Native American tribes won't cooperate with DNA testing services like Ancestry DNA because they don't want membership based on percentage of DNA but instead ties to the community.
    As a card carrying member of the Creek Nation (not that makes me an expert) Ill say it's a lil of both. But I frequent a couple of Native sites and celebrity "PretIndians" get called out a lot. As soon as this casting was announced People were asking what was her tribe and got no response. Not saying that a person owes strangers a run down of their ancestry but when chosen to play a native role over other native girls whose tribe is public knowledge. Confirming that you're the real deal is just good manners. Also Boone put his foot in his mouth....

GrindrStone(D)

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!