Page 379 of 386 FirstFirst ... 279329369375376377378379380381382383 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,685 of 5790
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    This is very interesting. And fascinating.
    I GUESS her powers are supernatural, otherwise I must think that she can warp reality on a molecular level, and that would make her a Phoenix-level mutant. Am I right?
    Going by the movie she's a reality warper. She even turns a toy puppet into a living, fire-breathing, flying dragon with her mind. Limbo is literally just a place she dreampt up and it became real because because she's just that powerful. She doesn't even have her regular portals. She just disappears into her fantasy world when things get too tough and it's very inconsistent as to whether she can teleport at all, because if she can then she should be able to escape any time she wants to and solitary confinement shouldn't be a threat to her, except the movie treats her as being as trapped as everyone else and as afraid of solitary confinement as everyone else. If she really has actual magic powers it might even be the reverse of what it is in the comics and now her armor and sword are her mutant power and 'teleporting' is her magic power. That's how stupid their handling of her in the movie is. The simplest explanation for her powers is that everything she can do is a result of her mutant ability being to alter reality and she uses a sword because she thinks it looks cool. They did not think things through and she'd be less complicated if they just kept her origin.

As once anticipated, in my scenario, "The New Mutants" is set in 2008 (Beginnings Trilogy Timeline). Henry Zaga and Adan Canto are supposed to play the very same character, at different stages. Illyana is Piotr's younger sister, and Piotr was 20 in 1999 (X2).
    How does that make the movie set in 2008 (over the intended release date of 2017), esp. since the characters use modern-day smart phones? (Also, none of the movies ever establish that Illyana is related to Peter/Piotr in the film continuity. Heck, neither of them ever mention having a sibling or anything.)

The "LOGAN" movie is a parallel Earth, a What If story, and the New Mutants movie is the further proof that mutants are NOT extinct in the Beginnings Trilogy Timeline.
    Also, the Transigen-Alkali company never existed in the mainstream film universe, where ESSEX CORP is the enemy (as depicted by APOCALYPSE and THE NEW MUTANTS).
    The New Mutants' ages are problematic with Logan's backstory and the movie does reinforce Essex over Transigen (unless we assume that the two are connected). However, spoilers:
    by use of stock footage, New Mutants does tie itself to Transigen's X23, seeming to indicate that they're all supposed to be connected.
    end of spoilers
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Going by the movie she's a reality warper. She even turns a toy puppet into a living, fire-breathing, flying dragon with her mind. Limbo is literally just a place she dreampt up and it became real because because she's just that powerful. She doesn't even have her regular portals. She just disappears into her fantasy world when things get too tough and it's very inconsistent as to whether she can teleport at all, because if she can then she should be able to escape any time she wants to and solitary confinement shouldn't be a threat to her, except the movie treats her as being as trapped as everyone else and as afraid of solitary confinement as everyone else. If she really has actual magic powers it might even be the reverse of what it is in the comics and now her armor and sword are her mutant power and 'teleporting' is her magic power. That's how stupid their handling of her in the movie is. The simplest explanation for her powers is that everything she can do is a result of her mutant ability being to alter reality and she uses a sword because she thinks it looks cool. They did not think things through and she'd be less complicated if they just kept her origin.
    IN TRUTH, supernatural powers have no sense in the FOX X-Men Cinematic Universe. So I guess that she is the most powerful mutant right after Phoenix/Jean Grey. You're right, it's reality warping at its climax, as well as creating "dimensional pockets" and interdimensional planes like the "LIMBO".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    How does that make the movie set in 2008 (over the intended release date of 2017), esp. since the characters use modern-day smart phones? (Also, none of the movies ever establish that Illyana is related to Peter/Piotr in the film continuity. Heck, neither of them ever mention having a sibling or anything.)

The New Mutants' ages are problematic with Logan's backstory and the movie does reinforce Essex over Transigen (unless we assume that the two are connected). However, spoilers:
    by use of stock footage, New Mutants does tie itself to Transigen's X23, seeming to indicate that they're all supposed to be connected.
    end of spoilers

1- The X-Men Cinematic Universe has always got very advanced technology ahead of its time, you can see that on "X-Men" (2000) or "Origins" too. It's an alternate dimension.
    The 2008 timeframe fits with Illyana's age, as well as with Sunspot's age.

2- Stock footage would reinforce the notion that things went "differently" from the LOGAN universe. No way TNM occurs after LOGAN.

That said, the X-Men are still regarded as popular superheroes in TNM, but ESSEX had the chance to do massive mutant experiments just because - since the events of "Dark Phoenix" - mutants are seen as a menace (again) by most people.

1- The X-Men Cinematic Universe has always got very advanced technology ahead of its time, you can see that on "X-Men" (2000) or "Origins" too. It's an alternate dimension.
    The 2008 timeframe fits with Illyana's age, as well as with Sunspot's age.
    On the other hand, the series generally operates on "like reality, unless otherwise noted" (e.g. real historical events happening in spite of mutants and their exploits or being caused by mutant incidents).

When was Illyana given an age? It was her first appearance and nothing like that was established. (As I recall, the Powers That Be stated they originally intended it to be set in the '80s before moving it to the present day, but feeling that the isolated setting provided the same tone they were looking for.) We saw Sunspot as an adult in Days of Future Past, which matches the intended timeframe.

(I guess long story short, I don't understand why we want to move the movie back, since that the Powers That Be have stated that it's a present-day setting: "It’s contemporary timeless. We don’t define where we are, but it is today. It’s contemporary. It’s not way in the future and it’s not in the past" my emphasis]).

2- Stock footage would reinforce the notion that things went "differently" from the LOGAN universe. No way TNM occurs after LOGAN.
    I think that stock footage was supposed to represent different events. It happens all the time in film and TV. Case in point, the same exploding Klingon Bird-of-Prey footage was used in both Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and Star Trek Generations and we know that it's "really" two different ships. (Granted, if we assume that New Mutants and Logan are not in continuity, then it's irrelevant, but it really seems like the intent is to tie everything together, for better or worse.)

That said, the X-Men are still regarded as popular superheroes in TNM, but ESSEX had the chance to do massive mutant experiments just because - since the events of "Dark Phoenix" - mutants are seen as a menace (again) by most people.
    The X-Men are still active during the New Mutants timeframe, which is technically consistent if we put all the post-Days of Future Past movies on the same timeline. I think the kids ages and fact that mutants are still relatively common does contradict Logan's backstory, but other movies we know are in continuity have similar discrepancies, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    In America where New Mutants is published and where most of its readers live, You'd be hard pressed to find a dark skinned person who wouldnt be considered black
    Yes we had this debate already in the M thread.

Okay it seems you're just pulling these facts outta thin air.... Here is Bobby in the issue he debuted
    And here's he by some other artist. Is this wrong?

I mean I dont see how you could call it anything else. Also I would hardly call Dani and Warpath's skin 'red' It was definitely a different hue than their white teammates.

Dani from the same artist as the earlier picture:

The defense of his whitewashing is astounding...and veeeery telling
    What does it tell?

LIke I mentioned earlier Its not really realistic that in a country that has the largest black population outside of the African continent There was no actor good enough to handle the maaaaaaaybe 40 minutes Sunspot had screen time.
    I'm sure there would be, but maybe they weren't interested about this movie.

Eh They look pretty recognizable to me.
    Girl who plays Dagger doesn't look at all like her (brown eyes, different body type), actor of Tyrone is also much more skinnier than the comic character who is always portrayed as physically imposing. Any way, I'm not saying that casting is bad or wrong, I'm just stating the obvious. Kinda like they had short Wolverine played by actor who was 1.9m tall.
    And before anyone makes another pointless accusation of me equaling hair colour or other physical attribute with race, that's not the point at all. I'm just saying that real-life casting is often not so simplified as fancasting.

Hey, plenty of good white actors would have been available for the role of Nick Fury, and they chose a black guy.

Which is more than I can say about the casting choices of Sunspot, when seeing group pics of the Cast many fans were confused/surprised that he had been chosen as Sunspot.
    And I was one of them, but I think Zaga did good job with the material given and looks very much like Sunspot in other aspects so I'll take the good with the bad. Zaga has Native American ancestry and they could have played the mixed parentage angle via that route if they wanted (although then one would have expected Roberto to react to Illyana's racist comments about Dani).

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Do you even have the slightest inkling of what blacks go though and have been through in Brazil? And you are here applauding for the one afro-beazilian superhero to be whitewashed..
    Afro-Brazilian superhero who hardly ever visits Brazil, where he lived an extremely privileged childhood. I'm not sure he's a guy who does much to highlight social issues in Brazil, any more than Colossus highlights oppression of the Soviet system. Also, whole literary concept behind 'mutants' is that skin colour is not a salvation there, all mutants encounter racism, some might be able to blend in with the regular Sapiens for a while but that helps little when the really bad guys have trackers who find you by your X-gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes we had this debate already in the M thread.
    And yet here we are....

And here's he by some other artist. Is this wrong?
    Yes!
    That's it you're getting it lol

Dani from the same artist as the earlier picture:
    Okkkay her skin is still different than the white chars and she still has the same physical features Sunspot whileu face changes the whiter he looks

What does it tell?
    That folks are cool with reading minorities from being a part of the cinematic narrative

I'm sure there would be, but maybe they weren't interested about this movie.

Yeeeeeah because there's an abundance of movie roles for AfroBrazilians....but as this example shows even if they are roles for a specifically Afro Brazilian chat....there's srukka food chance if the role going to a white Brazilian :/
    Girl who plays Dagger doesn't look at all like her (brown eyes, different body type), actor of Tyrone is also much more skinnier than the comic character who is always portrayed as physically imposing. Any way, I'm not saying that casting is bad or wrong, I'm just stating the obvious. Kinda like they had short Wolverine played by actor who was 1.9m tall.
    And before anyone makes another pointless accusation of me equaling hair colour or other physical attribute with race, that's not the point at all. I'm just saying that real-life casting is often not so simplified as fancasting.
    Um if you saw 2 of them alongside a duo of a m/f couple both Asian , and a m/f couple one from Mexico, the other a ginger Russian would you be able to pick them as the couple playing cloak and Dagger??
    Hey, plenty of good white actors would have been available for the role of Nick Fury, and they chose a black guy.
    And? You bring that up shows you fell done type of way about it , yet refuse to see the whitewashing of Sunspot
    Nick Fury in MCU is based on Ult. Nick Fury who is based on Samuel L Jackson)

And I was one of them, but I think Zaga did good job with the material given and looks very much like Sunspot in other aspects so I'll take the good with the bad. Zaga has Native American ancestry and they could have played the mixed parentage angle via that route if they wanted (although then one would have expected Roberto to react to Illyana's racist comments about Dani).
    Zaga was barley on screen.. and for all the hoopla over Sunspots casting he's wealth was brought up once... Him being Brazilian once sooooo pretty much Boone just added another white dude I felt anyone coulda stood up to Magiks unnecessarily racist comments, but especially another minority.

Afro-Brazilian superhero who hardly ever visits Brazil, where he lived an extremely privileged childhood. I'm not sure he's a guy who does much to highlight social issues in Brazil,
    I mean the opening issue is a pretty big tackle
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Part 4 of my New Mutants movie rewrite is up.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1369014...s-film-rewrite.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Part 4 of my New Mutants movie rewrite is up.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1369014...s-film-rewrite.
    Dang nice I especially liked the Dani Illyana exchange 2hilr they were looking at the dead bear
    GrindrStone(D)

new delete scene

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    new delete scene

LOL Sunspot.... TANNING!?!?? Josh Boone you are a comedic genius
    GrindrStone(D)