Page 363 of 386 FirstFirst ... 263313353359360361362363364365366367373 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,445 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    That's my problem with Scott Mendelson's review. There are worse X-Men movies.

I'm not sure exactly Maisie's take on this since it's unclear which of the X-Men movies she's seen and she hasn't read the comics. All I could find online was when Maisie went to the premiere of Day of Future Past in London with Florence Pugh. And Maisie's former roommate was Bill Milner who played young Erik in First Class so I would assume she's seen that.

Claremont's novelization proved that the idea of using the writers as script doctors is needed. So many elements he added fixed the problems in that movie and it wrote that in a weekend.
    Well said about the novelization. I read that the week before the film. So I was pumped for the movie. Sigh. Haha.

Regardless what some on this forum think of me.. If I think a movie is bad I have no problem being loud about how bad it is.

It’s just because I’ve loved Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, and New Mutants. And that’s really well the opposite of the majority they think my opinion is less or something. Lol. I’m sorry I don’t jump on the rotten tomatoes bandwagon and I’m not biased because Disney wouldn’t let me review it for free like these critics are.

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    The concept of whiteness is dumb anyway.

spoilers:
    I mean buddy, just give it some consideration.

-Director: "I don't care for racism" insertsmugfacehere

-Then goes on to add a racist scene.

You see, the framing and contradiction is really (I know I sound like a broken record) funny.
    end of spoilers
    He misspoke. He should have just said “When it came to casting the film. I didn’t care about the racism in Brazil”.

Imo, it’s obvious that is what he was trying to say. Now, he still would have been dragged for that. But to act like he doesn’t care about racism overall? Come on. He just didn’t pay attention to it when casting for the movie.
    Last edited by Slicknickshady; 08-28-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Fantastic Member

How was the villain of the movie Demon Bear?

Quote Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
    How was the villain of the movie Demon Bear?
    Nobody has said it yet in the spoiler thread. Go there and I’ll comment. No spoilers here.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    But to act like he doesn’t care about racism overall? Come on. He just didn’t pay attention to it when casting for the movie.
    Well, casting a dark skinned Brazilian character with a "white" or non black Brazilian doesn't help that claim, especially the latter claim. But it doesn't matter much to me so I won't argue.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Well, casting a dark skinned Brazilian character with a "white" or non black Brazilian doesn't help that claim, especially the latter claim. But it doesn't matter much to me so I won't argue.
    The character has been "white" in comics for at least a decade, and was already cast as "white" in a previous Fox movie. It would have been great for the movie to correct that, but movies have always been open to a certain amount (or great amount) of interpretation.

Amazing Member

I don’t know about complaining Illyana as racist. She’s obviously Russian, she doesn’t like Dani at all, and like any basic mean girl overcompensating, she lashes out at the first way to mock Dani. She’s a teenager girl bully, they don’t go for high hanging fruit.

The best part was that Dani didn’t snark back using equal Xenophobia against her being Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The character has been "white" in comics for at least a decade, and was already cast as "white" in a previous Fox movie. It would have been great for the movie to correct that, but movies have always been open to a certain amount (or great amount) of interpretation.
    Hickman? His, more accurately, Reis’ version in New Mutants was darker skinned.

EDIT: Maybe never mind? Your original post was edited as I was replying.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Hickman? His, more accurately, Reis’ version in New Mutants was darker skinned.

EDIT: Maybe never mind? Your original post was edited as I was replying.
    In my mind, Hickman was still using the light skinned version in his Avengers run. I did edit it out as the current depiction is, better? I am on the fence as to his future portrayal, even now he often appears lighter, and rarely does he look like his original darker tone at all. I suspect colorists will continue to lighten him up as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by zexion_armando View Post
    I don’t know about complaining Illyana as racist. She’s obviously Russian, she doesn’t like Dani at all, and like any basic mean girl overcompensating, she lashes out at the first way to mock Dani. She’s a teenager girl bully, they don’t go for high hanging fruit.

The best part was that Dani didn’t snark back using equal Xenophobia against her being Russian.
    I haven’t seen the movie (not tryna die) so I don’t know the context, but I do feel like that’s a weird character choice for Illyana. You can have a character be rude or abrasive without being racist. I’m much more willing to forgive someone who generally has a bad attitude than someone who is blatantly racist towards me. There’s no way I could befriend them after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I haven’t seen the movie (not tryna die) so I don’t know the context, but I do feel like that’s a weird character choice for Illyana. You can have a character be rude or abrasive without being racist. I’m much more willing to forgive someone who generally has a bad attitude than someone who is blatantly racist towards me. There’s no way I could befriend them after that.
    Yeah. I gotta agree there.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Extraordinary Member

Fictional characters forgive pretty quickly people who try to kill them and such, I think they can handle some disingenuous name calling. I suspect most people in the real world can too.

Astonishing Member

I was going to come here and joke about how I went to theater today, to see bill and Ted, but now I just found out that Chadwick Boseman died today and there just no joy in mocking new mutants. Everyone tell your family that you love them today. :/

I got home from seeing the movie almost 2 hours ago and I was going to instantly come here to post about it because I really enjoyed it. But, I got a flood of texts that Chadwick Boseman died and I was really in my house crying. So, I wanna say Rest In Peace to him because he was so inspiring as Black Panther and as a Black man who loves comics that role hit me on so many levels. Wakanda Forever!

The New Mutants have been my favorite team since 1988. I started reading Uncanny first, but when I found out about The New Mutants that instantly became my favorite book. I loved everybody on the team with Illyana being my absolute favorite. I admit my bias, but I'm very picky about X-Men films and I absolutely hated Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. I'm also not too keen on The Last Stand. So, I'm a huge X-Men fan, but I have high expectations for the films.

Again, I really enjoyed The New Mutants film.

The Pros
    Illyana was a boss! Anya Taylor-Joy owned this role and I really hope Disney brings Magic to the MCU. She had the look, the attitude and she was what I wanted to see in Magik.

Charlie Heath was a sympathetic Sam. Yeah, I wanted him to be taller and blond with the buzz cut. However, his portrayal was how I thought Sam would sound. I kept hoping he would say "Ah'm invulnerable when I'm blasting'!"

Maisie Williams was a great Rahne. I liked how they did her F/X. It wasn't corny or over the top. She brought the softness of Rahne.

Blu Hunt was good, I just wish we had a taller Dani.

The Demon Bear was awesome. I though the F/X were good and it was a nice representation of the bear.

The Cons
    Henry Zaga just didn't do it for me. His Roberto was too one dimensional and the writing was bad for this character. Zaga looked great, but that wasn't enough to carry the role. And Roberto shoulda been darker.

Overall, I loved the "A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors" vibe and how Dr. Reyes used her power. Of course, us hard core New Mutants fans will figure out what's happening instantly. I knew what was happening just from the trailers, but it was still a fun ride.

Also, it seemed like we saw a lot in the trailers, but there is one surprise that I really loved and was not expecting at all. It was a fun reveal and was made for fans like us. Don't read or watch any spoiler reviews before you see it b/c this one little reveal is best seen if you don't know it's coming. And the end credits are a nice treat, but there is no ends credit scene.

I'd give it a B-. The minus because Henry Zaga wasn't given enough to do to really make Roberto a fully developed character.
    I will 100% be buying the blu-ray because I need to own this and hope to see deleted scenes and all the extras.

Didn't care for this film, i place it in the top three worst X-men films.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Fictional characters forgive pretty quickly people who try to kill them and such, I think they can handle some disingenuous name calling. I suspect most people in the real world can too.
    Except it's not just name calling, it's a racist insult. Illyana being ok with making racist insults rather being racist isn't that much of an improvement and speaks badly for the character. They can make a "Mean girl" without adding that to drag down Illyana, her very first appearance in film. For example, Lizzie Saltzman in Legacies. Abrasive, uncaring, a bully akin to Regina George except if she was a witch. She's a complex mess of a human being but one thing she won't do is use racist insults. That's a line she won't cross. Even Regina herself didn't do that. But Illyana will in this movie.