Page 321 of 386 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331371 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 5790
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
    ...THEY CAN'T! Disney is not allowed to do until 2022.
    I didn't know that to be honest, thanks
    then all that is left is hope the theatrical release isn't delayed till then.

Quote Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
    ...THEY CAN'T! Disney is not allowed to do until 2022.
    Where did you hear this?

This article breaks down the legal hurdles of changing NEW MUTANTS to a streaming service release from the contractual obligation that it have SOME form of theatrical release.
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the...g-disney-plus/

One of the bigger hurdles being renegotiating the contracts of the director and actors...but they maybe ready to MOVE ON from it already given all the delays and false starts it’s had.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    This article breaks down the legal hurdles of changing NEW MUTANTS to a streaming service release from the contractual obligation that it have SOME form of theatrical release.
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the...g-disney-plus/

One of the bigger hurdles being renegotiating the contracts of the director and actors...but they maybe ready to MOVE ON from it already given all the delays and false starts it’s had.
    Fulfilling the contractual obligation of a release isn't all the difficult. Unless a wide release is actually included in the contracts, putting it in one theater for a single weekend would fulfill that obligation. There are theaters in the US still open (box office isn't being reported since the studios don't want to publicize that is happening). Some countries still have theaters open. Drive-in theaters are having their biggest comeback ever.

So, technically, if it's just to satisfy a contract, they can go ahead and release it in a few theaters and that's that.

Bob Iger and even Kevin Feige's biggest roles are talent management at Disney and Marvel. Screwing over actors and directors who are well respected isn't something they'd want to do. It's probably more of keeping Josh Boone happy than the cast.

As much as everyone on here likes to bash Josh Boone, he's a guy who took a huge risk to do something creative and different with a superhero movie. This isn't Dark Phoenix. Josh had a vision and he went for it. He had a huge hit with Fault in the Stars. He would be a great director for Disney+ projects, especially aimed at teens.

Anya is probably going to break out as the biggest star. Maisie's career probably ends up behind the camera. She's already working on directing and producing projects at 22. Disney and/or Marvel working with them again is likely, but I don't think dumping New Mutants to streaming is going to really influence that considering the situation with the pandemic and the fact that it would get far more attention now if put on streaming considering everyone is stuck at home.

The financial implications for contractual obligations of a release are bigger than with the cast. It's the people who put up money or get any part of the profit who could lose if there isn't a release. Or if the release is in 10 theaters for a weekend. The cast weren't big enough when they signed on to make any sort of demands, but Josh had done Fault in the Stars so maybe he would have points.

IMO, the reason it hasn't been dated yet is that all the studios want to get through the next two weeks and see where things are. I'm not sure about Disney, but other studios everyone is essentially on vacation until after Passover and then they'll see where things are in terms of June and July releases. If there is the potential of releases, then they'll move things around. If not, people are going to get laid off.

So, this is bigger than just putting New Mutants on streaming. It's a movie that could easily be released at a time when it doesn't need to do well. Anything studios can't risk failing has been moved to late 2020 and 2021. New Mutants could be something to at least keep marketing and distribution staff and theaters in business in June or July. Disney hasn't moved Pixar's Soul from June 19th yet, but it probably gets moved since it's too important of a movie. New Mutants not so much. Many people are going to be very tentative about going back to theaters. There will be restrictions on number of seats sold. But theaters have to reopen. They need movies to show. And studios can't keep paying marketing and distribution staff when they aren't releasing movies.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 04-04-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

If this was ever released on theaters how much do you think it could make?
    Specially on this situation were the hype is currently dead, I don't think the theatrical release could bring much
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 04-05-2020 at 03:25 PM.

But the virus isn't slowing down. I fear this will severely damage the box office, and if it does come out it will lead to DP numbers.

If it comes out in theaters it'll do worse than Dark Phoenix. That one at least was the "end of a saga" and had recognizable characters in it. Nobody knows who The New Mutants are, and since it's an addendum to a dead franchise general public interest won't be there, especially since it's "Marvel" but not "MCU." Add to that the whitewashing controversy and multiple delays.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    But the virus isn't slowing down. I fear this will severely damage the box office, and if it does come out it will lead to DP numbers.
    That may not be a bad thing as New Mutants costed less to make and having made DP numbers would actually be a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    If it comes out in theaters it'll do worse than Dark Phoenix. That one at least was the "end of a saga" and had recognizable characters in it. Nobody knows who The New Mutants are, and since it's an addendum to a dead franchise general public interest won't be there, especially since it's "Marvel" but not "MCU." Add to that the whitewashing controversy and multiple delays.
    Theaters are hoping to be open by mid-June if New Mutants is release around this time and the virus is under control the movie will have no competition other than Disney Soul(which may get moved) and most people having been coop up for almost three months would want to see/ do anything at this point.

Also most average movie watchers probably don't care about the "whitewashing controversy" at this point.

BANNED

Counterpoint: Who in the general public knew who the hell Iron Man was in 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    A lot more than know who the NewMutants :/
    GrindrStone(D)

exactly on top of that the cast members w/ enough clout to be considered draws i.e. Anya and Maisie aren't enough imo to pull in an audience unfamiliar or on-the-fence about the property...I really don't want this to crash n burn but it seems like it gets more and more inevitable with every passing month

If it does worse it'll be because of whats happening around the world, not bc it has anything to do with Fox's X-men series. The general public likely doesnt even know its associated with the X-men nor any whitewashing controversy which is really only a thing among comic message forums like this. You overestimate the popularity of Cecilia Reyes and Sunspot if you think thats going to be a contributing factor

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    If it does worse it'll be because of whats happening around the world, not bc it has anything to do with Fox's X-men series. The general public likely doesnt even know its associated with the X-men nor any whitewashing controversy which is really only a thing among comic message forums like this. You overestimate the popularity of Cecilia Reyes and Sunspot if you think thats going to be a contributing factor
    Agreed. I suspect there will be more people going to see New Mutants over confusion that it might be part of the MCU than interest in the Fox X-Men series.

There was zero draw for Dark Phoenix to see how the series ends like with Endgame, Rise of Skywalker or Game of Thrones. How many people were desperately waiting to see how the Fox X-Men series ended and have an emotional connection to the current movie version of the characters? There was no big suspense or intrigue over what will happen.

There is the potential for it to do well with very little competition and the chance to be one of the first new movies released in perhaps months, but that all depends on how things turn out. Seems like the situation in NYC is improving but there could be flare-ups other places which quickly shut down movie theaters after they reopen. Likely some theaters will be shutdown, so a wide release might be far fewer theaters and fewer countries. Cast likely won't be doing any promotion normal promotion since travel might be limited for an extended period of time, but talk shows have gone online with remote interviews.
    Could work out to the benefit of New Mutants with a lower promotion budget.

well I mean theres this .....
    https://***********/@LatinxGeeks/the...t-ce5c86cc7641
    And most my friends know how obsessed I am with all things X, and Ive definitely not been shy about letting them know how I feel....ad nauseum lol
    You overestimate the popularity of Cecilia Reyes and Sunspot if you think thats going to be a contributing factor
    I hope I'm not wrong in gauging the publics disdain for sh!t like this. Although ive been wrong before....about 4 years ago lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Agreed. I suspect there will be more people going to see New Mutants over confusion that it might be part of the MCU than interest in the Fox X-Men series.
    Hoping that mere confusion will help this movie rise above the casting, delays etc. is a farfetched but in lieu with everything else circling this movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Could work out to the benefit of New Mutants with a lower promotion budget.
    What is the budget for this? Artemis Fowl had 125 millon budget and is getting released streaming. I find it less likely Disney has faith the New Mutants will make its budget back.
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Seriously.

It's funny, I went to see the movie with a bunch of my friends, and one of them asked me who RDJ was.

"Isn't he black?"

Foreshadowing Tropic Thunder by some time