Page 338 of 386 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348 ... LastLast
Results 5,056 to 5,070 of 5790
    BANNED

Since THE GIFTED is obviously and clearly set in an alternate continuity, I would have loved to get an alternate counterpart of HAVOK instead of Eclipse.
    I don't understand why they did walk that path.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I always assumed he was a Havok knockoff not Sunspot given the relationship with Lorna.
    Nope!!

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Since THE GIFTED is obviously and clearly set in an alternate continuity, I would have loved to get an alternate counterpart of HAVOK instead of Eclipse.
    I don't understand why they did walk that path.
    Diversity lip service??
    GrindrStone(D)

Fantastic Member

Due to Tenet moving what are the chances Disney decides to swap the dates of Mulan with New Mutants?

Quote Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
    Due to Tenet moving what are the chances Disney decides to swap the dates of Mulan with New Mutants?
    Theater owners still seem to be thinking it will be released in July, but

Deadline posted an interview with Cinemark's CEO Mark Zoradi today about current plans:

DEADLINE: You mentioned on a recent earnings call that Cinemark can operate at 30% capacity limits in its auditoriums. If California or other local communities across the nation are insisting on 25%, does that lack of 5% impact your bottom line?

ZORADI: Well, two things there, California is very unique to the rest of the nation. Texas was at 25% to start, but they’ve gone to 50% and many states are following that mode. Many are starting at 25% but withing 3 or 4 weeks they’re going to 50%. So, I think specifically in California we can operate very profitably at 25%.

It’s not our desire, but especially when you’re starting out, beginning with Mulan on the 24th, and then Tenet on the 31st. We’ll have so many screens in a big multiplex, we’re going to be able to — if we’re required to have 25% in certain California counties, we’re going to double and triple screens. We might have as many as 6 or 7 screens to open up Mulan in a 12-plex or 7-8 screens in a 16 plex. We’re going to separate the shows and be able to separate the people, and double down on the number of auditoriums.

In some ways, it’s actually more preferable for guests, because then they can choose to come at 6pm, and 6:30pm and 7pm or 7:30pm, because we’ll stagger all those times. Then the following weekend when Tenet opens, the vast majority of the screens are going to be on Tenet and Mulan and holdovers from Unhinged and The Broken Hearts Gallery. Given that there’s not a lot of product in the marketplace, we’ll just reduce the library product and increase the first-run product.

Then after Mulan, and Tenet, on Aug. 7 you have SpongeBob, on the 14th you have Bill & Ted, and then in September you’ve got a Quiet Place 2, and then it takes off in the fourth quarter with Wonder Woman 1984, Marvel’s Black Widow, Soul, No Time to Die, and Top Gun:Maverick. The fourth quarter looks really good. And 2021 looks really good because a bunch of movies got delayed.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/cinemar...an-1202961827/
    Disney is releasing a special 4k version of Empire Strikes Back for theaters in the UK which are opening the first week of July. Those types of special events are getting people to go to theaters. Sony/Columbia Pictures has opened up their entire backcatalog for theaters. Some drive-thrus are doing the most business they've ever done and they have double features with Jaws and ET or even random Sony movies.

There's about 720 theaters open in the US now and more are opening each week. The big concern is if any of those start closing or if people show up.

Technically, they could open on 7/24 as almost a limited release and then expand as more theaters open. Or, do a limited theatrical release and then go to PVOD.

The other question about Disney is when they bring back their marketing and distribution staff (almost the entire departments have been furloughed). They're saving money not releasing movies, which is one of the theories some analysts have that Disney will decide to delay Mulan to avoid having to pay those employees.

New Mutants should have those types of problems since they can just put out the marketing they have completed so far with limited staff. Mulan probably would need a new approach to a campaign, billboards, bus advertising, cross-promotion, talk show appearances from the cast and so forth.

Comic Con@Home will be the weekend Mulan is supposed to open, so Disney could do something for that as well. Will also be interesting to see if there is a New Mutants panel. Rumor is many of the "panels" will be pre-recorded, so there wouldn't be the concern about the cast being asked awkward questions. They could just have a moderator asking questions like the GoT panel at last year's SDCC (without it seeming like the cast was terrified of the fans like what happened with GoT last year).
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-17-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Article about AMC's reopening plans does mention what theaters will do if Mulan moves to August:
    https://deadline.com/2020/06/amc-reo...on-1202963341/

If Tenet says on 7/31, then Mulan may have to move to the end of August since Tenet will have the IMAX screens. The question is if Disney might just switch New Mutants and Mulan rather than bumping NM would be one option.

The number of movies being shown at a time will need to be significantly reduced to accommodate reduction in the number of seats per auditorium. If there are 12 screens, then 6 might be showing the newest major release, 4 another major release and then 2 with various other movies.

Due to the increase in cases of COVID-19, Disney just moved Mulan to 8/21. Tenet moved to 8/12. So far no news about New Mutants.

While cases are increasing in some areas (especially Los Angeles), international is the issue for studios since they need movies to release overseas. It's not necessarily profits - there are obligations for studios to provide their foreign partners with movies to release.

Not sure if many of the articles mention this, but Disney's marketing and distribution staff are all still furloughed and ramping back up for a major release would require bringing back everyone and likely their staff being on the lot.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/mulan-r...21-1202971501/

Bill & Ted 3 has moved to Aug 28 (against New Mutants):

https://deadline.com/2020/06/bill-te...84-1202958453/

More impromptu drive-ins are opening at large parking lots (the Rose Bowl parking lot for example), so it is possible the number of drive-ins open across the US and Canada could reach 500 which is enough screens for typical limited releases. They've been doing record business.

But this news probably means a few of the US theater chains will declare bankruptcy.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-26-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Ultimate Member

So, previous teasers for this kinda blew and it dropped off my radar, but I saw a final trailer for it, and... I'm cautiously optimistic?

I have zero taste in common with, yanno, humans. I liked Green Lantern and found the Nolan Batfilms deadly dull. So who knows, but the moody atmosphere and more use of powers in the last trailer I saw make it far more appealing to me than the previous stuff I'd seen (which barely showed *any* powers and made me wonder if this was even a New Mutants movie or just 'five randos stuck in an asylum' horror flick).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I liked Green Lantern and found the Nolan Batfilms deadly dull.
    loll you're a rare specimen !
    I completely forgot about that GL movie

Nolan Bat movies are enjoyable, but mostly because of how grandiose they are. Their themes don't seem that deep once you grow out of your teens/early 20's.

Batman Returns OTOH still remains a dark, glittering, brilliant gem of a film.

X-men movies are starting to get added to Disney Plus this month. Im patiently awaiting the announcement that New Mutants will...

In the UK we already have everything but First Class and Apocalypse which I find odd.

Logan and the uncensored Deadpool movies are another thing I guess.
    Last edited by HaydnC95; 07-01-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnC95 View Post
    In the UK we already have everything but First Class and Apocalypse which I find odd.

Logan and the uncensored Deadpool movies are another thing I guess.
    It's pretty frustrating that Disney owns all the Fox 15-rated classics like Predator, but appears to have no plans for a parental locked streaming service

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...42195651035141

If L.A. closes down their movie theaters again, it will likely mean that the entire August release schedule, including ‘Tenet’, ‘Mulan’, ‘Bill & Ted: Face The Music’ and ‘The New Mutants’, will be delayed into the Fall.

(Source: Deadline)

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

I still need to catch up and read the Demon Bear arc before this movie comes out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    I still need to catch up and read the Demon Bear arc before this movie comes out.
    I think you'd be fine if you just read a page a day