Page 381 of 386 FirstFirst ... 281331371377378379380381382383384385 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,715 of 5790
    Fantastic Member

Just saw it. I liked it! Despite unfortunate casting choices and loose plot threads like Limbo and Lockheed and Illyana's disco smiley bad guys' costume design, it's arguably better than most of the X-Movies we got. All the characters were so cool. Loved Rahne and honestly, the actress that played Dani did a fine job, I should know not to listen to the internet for the over-hyped portrayal of her being a bad actress. She was awesome. The guy that played Sam grew on me as Cannonball too! Even Roberto, despite being the wrong color, was pretty Roberto in character. Reyes didn't sell me as a bad guy though. II don't mind that they inverted the character for this story, but I didn't really get her motivation. Illyana and Deamon Bear were badass.
    Last edited by Tunasammiches; 11-16-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Last edited by juan678; 11-16-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Ugh so much potential purposefully pooped upon
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ugh so much potential purposefully pooped upon
    I don't get it, You already going in as a small project why not have the majority of fans on your side. It would be so easy to root for this movie they just got some simple things right.

Video comes out tomorrow. Can't wait.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't get it, You already going in as a small project why not have the majority of fans on your side. It would be so easy to root for this movie they just got some simple things right.
    Dude I know right. Siiiigh I hate that Josh "convenient fanboy" Boone hot his talons in it first instead of a director who might not be familiar with the property but wanted to capture the overall spirit of the comics

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Going by the movie she's a reality warper. She even turns a toy puppet into a living, fire-breathing, flying dragon with her mind. Limbo is literally just a place she dreampt up and it became real because because she's just that powerful. She doesn't even have her regular portals. She just disappears into her fantasy world when things get too tough and it's very inconsistent as to whether she can teleport at all, because if she can then she should be able to escape any time she wants to and solitary confinement shouldn't be a threat to her, except the movie treats her as being as trapped as everyone else and as afraid of solitary confinement as everyone else. If she really has actual magic powers it might even be the reverse of what it is in the comics and now her armor and sword are her mutant power and 'teleporting' is her magic power. That's how stupid their handling of her in the movie is. The simplest explanation for her powers is that everything she can do is a result of her mutant ability being to alter reality and she uses a sword because she thinks it looks cool. They did not think things through and she'd be less complicated if they just kept her origin.
    Ugh this...I feel this do something that's still a bit of a problem with comic book adaptions
    GrindrStone(D)

T-Mobile is offering a free redbox rental of this book today

BANNED

In either the comic books and the 2020 movie, should the New Mutants be considered as X-Men "recruits" and future X-Men?

DOFP hinted at that when you can see that Sunspot was an X-Man in 2023.

Ultimate Member

Finally got around to seeing this. If it had come out 10 years ago, I might have loved it, but we've had so much great superhero stuff in the last decade, it's a bit late in the day for a slow burn like this, IMO.

If I had to fanwank Ilyanna's powers in the movie, she was a traumatized child with an imaginary world that she'd retreat to, and when her mutation activated, it became a real place she could escape to, a psycho-reactive place that may or may not even exist in any real material sense. Being constructed from her hopes and fears, her tormentors showed up there as well, appearing as 'the smiling men,' literal monsters made from metaphorical ones, but she also could fight them, unlike in the real world, and could make armor and a sword there (and make her dragon puppet a real dragon). Because her 'demons' have followed her there, she can't just live there 24/7 and flee the real world entirely... As her power grows, she's able to manifest these psychic creations in the real world, for a time, or just pop into 'Limbo' and come out a short distance away (we don't see her teleport more than thirty feet or so in the movie, nor does she seem to be able to pass through solid objects, or get to places where she couldn't normally go, which, like the 'smiling men' infesting limbo, are, IMO, a reflection of her damaged psyche, and unwillingness to deal with her trauma in a healthier manner than manifesting them as 'demons' and hacking them up with a sword). She's limiting herself, and 'limbo' could be a much nicer place, if she wasn't holding on so tightly to her baggage. Which only makes sense, since her 'therapist,' who should be trying to help her, is an evil person actually *trying* to turn her into a killer! I'm sure there are other ways to make sense of her disparate powers (and choices) in the film, but this seems to work, and even makes her powers a little bit like Dani's, even if Dani generally manifests stuff from other people's psyches (instead of retreating to her own)...

BANNED

I watched it last night and was pleasantly surprised. I thought all of the characters and actors did a great job and I wasn't offended by any actor choices. It wouldn't have impacted things much in IMHO. I was NOT thrilled about Reyes character though. What a mess. They should have made her have a Malice collar around her neck and revealed she was possessed. Lockheed/Limbo's explanation was pretty loose so will not a direct interpretation there was still A TON of room to make it fit more like the comic version easily. Also, those Smiley-Face guys were from The Right (who Cameron Hodge led) leading me to believe a sequel may have involved Genosha or something similar.

I will say, this could have been a little longer to flesh out some things a bit more and I wish the ending would have been more than just Dani ending it by.....waking up. She could have least shot a psychic arrow. Overall, much better than people have been saying it was I think.
    Last edited by PetPigeon; 11-17-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Mighty Member

Just rented it today. Nothing amazing for me.

Definitely things I didn’t like. Didn’t like Sunspot’s power change. Just use his power. How hard is that? While he wasn’t the color, he could still get it. He was hot in more than his powers. Haha. I didn’t like casting for Cannonball and why is he all battered up? His powers protect him from that. Didn’t like this romance between Dani and Rahne, though it didn’t feel forced, but as a fan I know that’s not Rahne. Didn’t like how the made Illyana a complete *******, but someone has to be the jerk in the group. I hate when they turn good characters bad. Reyes could have been any character. Hell they could have made her turn out to be Miss Sinister.

I did like the effects. I thought casting was spot on for Illyana. Bring her back to play her in the MCU. I wish we saw more Rahne in transition mode. I thought Dani was good, but I was hoping for a more brash Dani. Roberto was the character even if his casting wasn’t spot on. I would like to see him play someone else in an MCU movie in the future.

Wasn’t awful. Wasn’t great. Meh.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I didn’t like casting for Cannonball and why is he all battered up? His powers protect him from that.
    Sam's accent bugged me a little, but wasn't as egregious as Ilyanna's gangster-movie-idea-of-what-Russians sound like or Roberto's practically non-existent accent, IMO.

He was shown beating himself up, 'though, so his powers wouldn't really protect him from that, and even the broken arm could come from smashing into a wall and after his field goes down and he staggers out of the rubble some of it collapses on him. But, like how Ilyanna's powers work, or, anyone's, really, the *movie* could have dedicated a few seconds to this sort of stuff, so that the movie made a lick of sense.

Had a bit of trouble finding a BluRay copy. Wonder if it's not being mass produced or something.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Amazing Member

I'm sorry but this New Mutants movie was quite bad. And I was even able to find redeeming qualities in X-Men 3 The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. At least those had enjoyable fight sequences. And I am one of those who quite liked Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix and don't understand why so many people and critics hate those but love the rather nonsensical and forgettable Avengers films like Age of Ultron.

spoilers:

But New Mutants had no interesting showcases, and everyone other than Rahne and Dani were unlikable really. They spend all movie in a single building, and the only real fight sequence is a poorly done battle against a bad CGI bear. This whole film was far worse than I expected.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Yistaan; 11-18-2020 at 05:02 PM.