Page 373 of 386 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 5790
    Amazing Member

Did anyone notice Roberto listening to Tegan and Sara during the first time. Took off his headphones?

A few days ago I had a dream where, Henry Zaga, looking considerably darker than in the movie, came at me, late at night, with an open shirt(or perhaps shirtless with a jacket), telling me(in portuguese) that I should stop telling people that he's white and sort of trying to intimidate me. I was like "No, you are white, you just had a tan... Like Ariana Grande". But at the same time I was too nervous and distracted by his abs and arms.

I am not joking.

"I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    A few days ago I had a dream where, Henry Zaga, looking considerably darker than in the movie, came at me, late at night, with an open shirt(or perhaps shirtless with a jacket), telling me(in portuguese) that I should stop telling people that he's white and sort of trying to intimidate me. I was like "No, you are white, you just had a tan... Like Ariana Grande". But at the same time I was too nervous and distracted by his abs and arms.

I am not joking.
    I’m literally on the floor laughing

Ultimate Member

So, to anyone who has seen the movie, was the dude playing Sam any good? Did he feel 'Appalachian' or more of a redneck caricature?

(It's weird that Appalachian whites are a minority population that is represented by the NAACP, because, apparently, that's how much they get crapped on by other white folk...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So, to anyone who has seen the movie, was the dude playing Sam any good? Did he feel 'Appalachian' or more of a redneck caricature?

(It's weird that Appalachian whites are a minority population that is represented by the NAACP, because, apparently, that's how much they get crapped on by other white folk...)
    This must be similar to the Hill Folk vs Flatlanders.

Unfortunately, wherever there are differences, there seems to be animosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    We honestly have stop indulging people on discussion the blackness of character.
    ugh Bro I knoooow but sometimes I just cant let misinformation go un challenged...esp in this era of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Just for fun a quote from Scott Lobdell in Bleed Cool interview on Teen Titans- (I am trying to find initial interview on CeCe)
    I'll say this: if the comic industry never created another young white male super hero, we'd be okay. Not that I have anything against them, but I don't think the over abundance of them reflect the world we live in.

So yes, the three characters who are not the Core Four are "diverse" — even the villain in the second issue is Samoan, and the forth member of the Outlaws is a young black man.

What kind of stories does that suggest? It almost sounds like a trick question, LOL. I think it suggests stories that take place in a "real world" where not every president or pop star or neighbor is a young white male. But I don't think there are inherently different types of stories that are told because there are black or Japanese or Mexican super heroes fight alongside Robin and Wondergirl.

Over the years I've shared in the creation of a handful of super heroes that have been "diverse"… Skin, Mondo, Cecilia Reyes, Synch, the unfortunately named Maggot, Noir over in Wildcats, Puck's daughter, Centennial and M to name a few. Do I do it on purpose? Honestly, yes… because I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to pick up a comic book and not see "yourself" reflected on the pages.

At Marvel I used to argue you can't have a team sub-titled "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and then have no people of color represented. "Really? Seven billion people on the planet and you can't find one of them that isn't white to put on a team of Earth's Mightiest Heroes? On Earth. On all of earth?" One editor even told me "Vision is red!" Seriously.
    Oh wow I love this so much
    Eh I thought his accent was a lil heavy sometimes.
    How is it weird a group of human can empathize with another group?
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

We all know Disney controls a sizable portion of media people and bribes reviewers with access and other exclusives for writing things Disney wants them to write. After watching this movie I'm convinced Disney told the media people to bash it because they didn't want to risk it succeeding. The only reason it was shown in theatres and not scrapped or sent to streaming is because Disney was contractually obligated to show it. So they showed it but told all the media people to trash it all they like, and that's why they keep saying this movie is the worst Disney movie. Because they were told to. The movie itself is a bit boring and the characters are meh but it's not the worst. Dark Phoenix was way worse, Xmen origins and others were worse. This was just mediocre and Disney wanted to get rid of it. They used their influence over media to make sure people didn't support this movie so that way they could just cancel any future developments and start their own stuff. I know one guy was saying when he asked for a screener Disney rep said "no, write a review or don't it's up to you". Showing the lack of care for this movie

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    We all know Disney controls a sizable portion of media people and bribes reviewers with access and other exclusives for writing things Disney wants them to write. After watching this movie I'm convinced Disney told the media people to bash it because they didn't want to risk it succeeding. The only reason it was shown in theatres and not scrapped or sent to streaming is because Disney was contractually obligated to show it. So they showed it but told all the media people to trash it all they like, and that's why they keep saying this movie is the worst Disney movie. Because they were told to. The movie itself is a bit boring and the characters are meh but it's not the worst. Dark Phoenix was way worse, Xmen origins and others were worse. This was just mediocre and Disney wanted to get rid of it. They used their influence over media to make sure people didn't support this movie so that way they could just cancel any future developments and start their own stuff. I know one guy was saying when he asked for a screener Disney rep said "no, write a review or don't it's up to you". Showing the lack of care for this movie
    Lol damn the need for this to be a big conspiracy against the movie is better than the actual boring movie
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeah here you see the Black dude who likes Storm calling her a "sister" Celicia herself calls her that twice....I guess if you're not AA you prob wouldnt know the "Brother...Sister" are slang words many AA call each other.....a few decades ago but nonetheless
    Except... your argument hinges on that being exclusive to AA people. It's not. The brother/sister thing gets applied to many sorts of social groups. Also the first one isn't Dr. Reyes. It's one of her co-workers talking about Storm.

At any rate the question here was about what evidence there is for Cecilia Reyes being identified in-universe as "black" and... yeah... I can see why people would go either way. I mean the guy who said "consistent portrayal" Then posted 9 pics with 9 different looks some of them so drastically different from each other you could easily mistake them for different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Except... your argument hinges on that being exclusive to AA people. It's not. The brother/sister thing gets applied to many sorts of social groups.
    Please tell me about these other social groups that use those terms frequently enough that the avg comic book reader would know about BESIDES African-Americans? Orrrrrr if you can provide scans that'd be perfect. Yeah my argument hinges on the "brother/sister" thing, and Also her skin tone, hair style, speech, While you're clinging to that one panel on that one page that she makes her debut...Good look with that.
    Also the first one isn't Dr. Reyes. It's one of her co-workers talking about Storm.
    Yes I knowit's another example of a black char referring to ano black char as "sister"
    At any rate the question here was about what evidence there is for Cecilia Reyes being identified in-universe as "black" and... yeah... I can see why people would go either way. I mean the guy who said "consistent portrayal" Then posted 9 pics with 9 different looks some of them so drastically different from each other you could easily mistake them for different characters.
    Yes Different dark skinned chars named Cecilia Reyes, with the mutant ability to created force fields, and holding a medical doctorate.Its a comic book, these char arent real life people.....So 9 pics of char drawn by 9 diff people arent gonna look exactly the same. I guess Marvel assumes if a person is smart enough to read, theyd be smart enough to use context clues to figure out who chars are supposed to be
    but....Like Damn You really don't want her to be black that bad? Despite her having same skin tone as other black chars,rock popular black girl hairstyles, uses black vernacular/slang What else is there? Do you ask for this much racial confirmation to see Cyclops as white? Or Jubilee as Chinese? Do you believe Jean Grey is actually female? Or lockheed a dragon?
    Last edited by BroHomo; 09-04-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Please tell me about these other social groups that use those terms frequently enough that the avg comic book reader would know about BESIDES African-Americans? Orrrrrr if you can provide scans that'd be perfect. Yeah my argument hinges on the "brother/sister" thing,
    Since this is a social/cultural thing outside comics, I'll just go with the first thing that pops into my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZypKcB-w5VY

Then again I'm pretty sure the Acolytes and Brotherhood(both of them) have done the same thing in comics.

Alternatively one could argue that if it's only Storm she calls that then it's the same logic by which she called Cannonball "Cornpone".
    and Also her skin tone, hair style, speech, While you're clinging to that one panel on that one page that she makes her debut...Good look with that.
    Speech? aside from the sister thing?
    Yes Different dark skinned chars named Cecilia Reyes, with the mutant ability to created force fields, and holding a medical doctorate.Its a comic book, these char arent real life people.....So 9 pics of char drawn by 9 diff people arent gonna look exactly the same. I guess Marvel assumes if a person is smart enough to read, theyd be smart enough to use context clues to figure out who chars are supposed to be
    Yeah but I'm not the person who claimed she was consistently portrayed as "black". Also the darker ones are the relatively recent ones.
    but....Like Damn You really don't want her to be black that bad?
    This discussion got started because people asserted that the film casting was wrong because the character was absolutely definitely black..... So the real question is why do YOU want her to be black and not some other form of Hispanic person?
    Despite her having same skin tone as other black chars,rock popular black girl hairstyles, uses black vernacular/slang What else is there? Do you ask for this much racial confirmation to see Cyclops as white? Or Jubilee as Chinese? Do you believe Jean Grey is actually female? Or lockheed a dragon?
    Now you're being silly. I already pointed out why her appearance IS such a big question. You say "same skin tone as other black characters", but the original appearances(and at least some of the later ones) are of someone with a hair and skin tone that's not exceptionally dark and is light enough to be a non-black Hispanic. Since you guys like data so much... Here's a pic of Iara dos Santos for comparison.
    IaradosSantos.jpg
    This is from the first scene in the comics when Iara is seen in human form in daylight. Or are you going to try to argue Iara should be considered black too?

man linked a gospel song to his post Lmaoooo bruh
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Think about the argument.. It has been established Cecilia Reyes is Afro Latina. But to prove that she isnt Afro Latina something already established. The character must prove they are black by saying "Hi I am black" "Hey look at me I am black" or do something positively confirm their blackness. As if Cyclops ever went "Hey I am American white not Latino white, Jewish white or middle eastern white" to confirm his whiteness.

The person use one picture were she is a hint lighter than normally presented and that overwrites every single other time she has been presented with darker skin(Cece first time shown her skin was darker, the joe mad picture with the better colorist) . Oh yeah in the one picture she is lighter she is still clearly Afro Latina

All of this to prove a bad casting is supposely right. In a movie where a director said he doesn't care about the type of racism he is committing and purposely knowingly casted another Afro Latino character with actor who clearly not Afro Latino. Alica Braga isn't even the same color as Cece in person racist brown paper bag test attempt.

Even worse "the tool" being misused in this thread "to measure skin tones" suffers from the same issue as comics and not all them have the same color charting and the system is designed to tell HOW WELL skin deals with sunlight not accurate represent skin color.

Screenshot_20200904-215825_Chrome.jpg

Rihanna's fenty line of make up with its foundation shows how silly it is think that limited in this case 6 shades can accurate match skin color . Fenty has 40 different shades of foundation that is how many skin tones a chart like that misses.They are around 34 shades of human being most black people not represented.

The only reason we are having this discussion because clearly Marvel doesn't have a clear standardize color set and apparently colorist can't go Storm is always 15, Monet is 11 and Cecilia is always 10. It is not important enough to Marvel that their characters are consistent colored the same and I understand why it happens but is annoying when people use it for a base for dumb arguments.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-04-2020 at 07:52 PM.